Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
So I called cox to see when they will have gigablast again and they said January. So just a couple more months I guess.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So I called cox to see when they will have gigablast again and they said January. So just a couple more months I guess.

Yea the tech said it's brand new and they literally just rolled out the DOCSIS 3.1 gig and this is the first week he's installing them. Whatever that means. He did mention they are not advertising it on purpose though to see how it does, I guess compared to fiber.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Yea the tech said it's brand new and they literally just rolled out the DOCSIS 3.1 gig and this is the first week he's installing them. Whatever that means. He did mention they are not advertising it on purpose though to see how it does, I guess compared to fiber.

It's just funny since I get a docsis 3.1 signal with my docsis 3.1 modem but no dice on gigablast. I figured they just had to hit switch.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea I wonder if they are trying it in areas they completely abandoned going fiber first.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
6838505371.png

Well it's not TRUE GIGABIT but it's alright.

Just got gigablast today and I'm only getting 600 down 40 up at 18ms ping. I'm in Glendale. Wish it was faster but I guess whatever since my price didn't go up. Just got an extra 300 down for free.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
My gigablast is a fucking mess.

'levels to modem' (tech wasn't convinced this was accurate) indicate I could get as much as 1100 down.

Modem directly to my laptop: ~500 down.

Modem to my Unifi USG: controller speed test is ~160 down.

My PC connected to the network: ~98 down.

Modem connected to my PC: 4 down.

Naturally the tech that came out to try and work on this was only there to install the box I was upsold as a throw-in.

I'm to the point where I might want to rent a modem briefly to see if that's bad, or dig up another router to see if it's the USG. I can't explain my computer only getting 4 down. It's like a sneak preview of having CenturyLink, my only other real option.

Tech was talking about how he's been sent to 40 year old apartments to install gigablast, the billing and sales system is letting people buy it that don't have it yet, and he said that could be my case somewhat too (though my development is only 15 y/o).

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Well had a cox tech come out and look at everything and I had some blocker on there from like 20 years ago when they had to keep people from stealing cable. He fixed some lines and now I'm getting 950 down. He said in 3 years they will have 4gig down speed with the current lines they have.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Fucking Spectrum. I moved on 11/4, switched my service to the new place, and paid my November bill as normal. Everything seemed fine at the time. I got a bill 2 weeks ago saying I hadn't paid for November and now owed for December as well. I called them up and asked what the hell was going on, and it turned out that when I activated service at my new place, they didn't deactivate it at the old apartment and the November credit was credited to that account. I was told they would fold the accounts together and I would be credited for the payment made in November and they would backdate a disconnection at my old apartment to 11/4. All I had to do was wait 3 business days for the accounts to get sorted out and then I could log in to my account and see the proper balance.

Last Thursday I get a letter saying my service would cut off on the 19th for lack of payment. I double check my account and the same bullshit is still going on and I wasn't credited for my November payment. I call again and get told the same thing. They see the problem and will have it fixed, just give it 3 business days for it to sort itself out. I tell the rep that I was told the exact same thing last time so I'm highly skeptical of it being done this time. He has me hold for a few minutes, after which he tells me that the ticket has been submitted and it will be done.

Since I'm scheduled to be disconnected tomorrow and I depend on wifi to make calls due to spotty cell service, I call them again when I see that nothing has changed on my account. This time I guess I get a competent rep, as she sees the issue quickly and then notices that there won't be a credit to my account. Instead, it looks like the last rep put in for a check to be mailed to me for the credit on the old account instead. She confirms with a supervisor that that's the case and removes the late fees, so I go ahead an pay what they say I owe.

I wish there was some goddamn competition. My only other option is Verizon DSL, as I'm a block out of range of the local ISP, but they only sell internet and home phone bundles anyway.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Makes me feel a little better that I'm not the only one having bull shit issues lately. Of course, this is with Comcast.

Long story short, I moved from Tacoma area, down to the Portland area, and so I had to cancel and setup a new account because it's a "new market". Go to plug in my same exact equipment, and it won't work. About 6 different calls, and 2 techs coming out, it's still not figured out. At first it was because my modem was stuck in the Seattle market. Apparently when switching markets it takes a day or 2. Now I've been told the modem is actually in both, and since Seattle is "first" it won't work. Then the latest call is just that my modem is bad and I need to replace it.

Through all of this, the amount of lies that I've been told, the lack of follow thru, the stupid ass attempts used to just get me off the phone have been incredible. I've never had an issue with Comcast honestly, but I've also never had to deal with their customer service this much. It's astounding.

My modem is 7 years old, and given the amount of time I've spent on this already, I should have just said fuck it and gotten a new docsis 3.1 modem and called it good. Would have "cost" less in the long run.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The outage today got me thinking it was my cable modem was the problem before I managed to find out it was a national thing. Still, thinking it's likely time to upgrade my modem and plan with Spectrum. Currently using a Motorola SB6121, which is 4 channels up and down and likely limiting me in what plans I can upgrade to(Spectrum's website kinda sucks in telling you if this a factor or not).

Should I buy a DOCSIS 3.0 or 3.1 modem? Any recommendations on models? Arris seems to dominate the market since inheriting motorola's technology, but I'd rather not use them if I don't have to since there seems to be common-enough stories about quality issues.

Anyone customer's with Spectrum can tell me what they pay normally, after the introductory 12 month period expired? Looking to either use their 100 or 400 Mbps packages.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
69278355192.png

Costs about £70 a month with phone calls and line rental.

Until around mid 2016 I was on <1mb for about £30 a month, but they rolled out FTTP to my rural area so I was able to get up to 300mb. I was so happy when it happened.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
The outage today got me thinking it was my cable modem was the problem before I managed to find out it was a national thing. Still, thinking it's likely time to upgrade my modem and plan with Spectrum. Currently using a Motorola SB6121, which is 4 channels up and down and likely limiting me in what plans I can upgrade to(Spectrum's website kinda sucks in telling you if this a factor or not).

Should I buy a DOCSIS 3.0 or 3.1 modem? Any recommendations on models? Arris seems to dominate the market since inheriting motorola's technology, but I'd rather not use them if I don't have to since there seems to be common-enough stories about quality issues.

Anyone customer's with Spectrum can tell me what they pay normally, after the introductory 12 month period expired? Looking to either use their 100 or 400 Mbps packages.

Spectrum customer in SoCal here. $44.95 / month

upload_2018-1-1_15-18-16.png

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Thanks. That's after the introductory rate has expired?

I actually dont know if i had an introductory offer but it looks like I did. Looks like theyre gonna rape me for another $20 when the year is up in February

upload_2018-1-1_15-53-49.png

Arative

Vyemm Raider
With spectrum I usually just call them up after my bill goes up and say cancel my service which gets me retention and they will lower my bill back down after and little back and forth.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Here’s something you don’t hear anyone be happy about. I went to the Cox store near my house and had them cancel my 150mbps service. I was paying 92.99/mo. I had them put it in my wife’s name and got 100mbps for 49.99/mo. I complained that we had to even go thru this just to save money and the guy gave us a free DOCSIS 3.1 gigabit modem for the hassle. I’ll get gigabit internet eventually but it was a $180 modem for free!

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>

$140 a month, was on 105 @ $115. Not bad for in the woods outside of Atlanta.

I know people have a lot of trouble with Comcast, I knock on wood, can only remember 2 or 3 times of outage during my 15 years of internet service. Maybe it happens more during the day here when I am at work.