Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
7242704140.png

+$10 a month to upgrade from 150/150 to 940/880. Weird part is they sent out the exact same router and flipped the service on before the package arrived (test numbers are before the swap). Not going to ask why their system doesn't check to save on shipping redundant equipment, that's their problem.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Comcast finally got competition in my area. ~$60 less a month nets me
7256278369.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Apparently CenturyLink has Gigabit internet in my area now. I have an modem, amazon claims not compatible with CenturyLink. Is that a real thing? When looking around the CenturyLink website if you try to order the internet it only gives options for lease a modem, or buy a modem from them. They can't be serious right? No ability to bring your own modem? I feel like that's a call and get fixed kind of thing.

Comcast also claims to have Gigabit in my city (Cape Coral Florida), but I'll be damned if I can find out a single fucking thing about it. Why is it impossible to find out anything about it, I don't understand

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
You will need a docsis 3.1 modem if you want gigablast.
Yeah, I figured that out after I posted and kept looking. Any recommendations? Also I have a Netgear AC1750, that's good enough for my router right? I don't really need the full speeds over wireless, my PC will go through the wired port on it

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I figured that out after I posted and kept looking. Any recommendations? Also I have a Netgear AC1750, that's good enough for my router right? I don't really need the full speeds over wireless, my PC will go through the wired port on it

I bought the Motorola docsis 3.1 and it's pretty good. I think there are 3 docsis 3.1 modems out but not sure. I get 900 down with my modem to router to PC all hardwired.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>

Pick one:
Arris SB8200
Motorola MB8600
Arris TM3402 (if you have telephone through them; good luck finding it online)
Netgear C7800 (has a router, bit of a waste, and generally speaking you want discrete modems and routers, otherwise they are masters of none)
Netgear CM1000

No experience with any of the above specifically, but my parents haven't had any issues with their lower-level Arris telephonic modem, and my SB6141 hasn't had any issues.

As for your router, should be fine.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Finally got off my ass and talked to Comcast. For Gigabit internet (which I'm pretty sure would have the like 25 up like someone above) it would cost me an extra $70, so $150 before taxes and shit, and $100 installation.

Meanwhile, CenturyLink Gigabit (which I believe is matching up and down) is $80 and $60 installation.

You really nailed that one Comcast. Great job. CenturyLink is even advertising it on the only billboard allowed in town (it's electronic and by the bridge crossing the river, it rotates through things), I'm sure Comcast market share has to be getting crushed here.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
In my experience Centurylink never does any bandwidth caps too. They dont offer that internet here or I wouls be on it. I have 400mbps from Spectrum for 100 a month.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
ATT installed fiber over a year ago and the technicians said it would be available immediately. ATT has no idea what they're talking about, nor do they realize they even sent out mail to everyone in the neighborhood, "Fiber is coming to your neighborhood!". Ugh.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
ATT installed fiber over a year ago and the technicians said it would be available immediately. ATT has no idea what they're talking about, nor do they realize they even sent out mail to everyone in the neighborhood, "Fiber is coming to your neighborhood!". Ugh.

That's unfortunate. As much as I have shit on AT&T in the past for their bullshit, I've had their 1GB fiber for a year now and it has been fantastic. Minimal downtime, really good price for the area, and no caps.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The ISP here should hire me to do their q&a and I know nothing about networking. A year ago the internet here would lose connection at exactly 5pm every day (I mean exactly 5pm like they left for the day and turned the server off on the way out) for 1/2 an hour. I told them it was likely some setting on their end. For a few weeks they told me it was someone connecting on my internet thru wifi causing the issue. Couldn't get thru their head nobody lives in range (or could be in range) of my wifi even in a car. They argued. Sent a tech finally who said finally nothing wrong here, then called the next week and says we found the problem, here.

Now it started doing the same thing again and it's every afternoon when it gets hot. If it rains and is cool it doesn't happen. I told them apparently they have an issue in the line somewhere possibly above ground. They argued and back thru the same flowchart of turn the modem off and back on and such. They sent a tech who hooked up to their connection and said this is horrible. Called just a few ago saying the line was dropping onto a limb or something when it go insanely hot and the issue is fixed lol. Said he looked into it after I said something, said everyone in the area had been reporting problems. Working as intended.

Guy didn't sound local at all. Maybe because we are the only fiber in the area. I asked him about it and he said he was just here "temporarily".

Last edited:

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I've had similar issues in the past and the people in the phone never want to listen. I don't know networking but I know enough to troubleshoot my own shit. I had one a while back with terrible speed and tons of packet loss. I called and even got the lady to look (after much badgering) and admit that it looked like lots of people in the area had problems and she still insisted on sending a tech out. Tech got to my house and was like I'm going to check everything in the Attic etc. I stopped him and was like listen this is what I've done and what I got the last in the phone to check. The line runs directly in the house to the modem with maybe 15 feet of coax from outside, you should just start outside. He did and was like yep the signal coming in is trash. There was a bad node up the street. Surprise!

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
What does it mean when you have ~50% uncorrected code words? That seems bad enough that my connection would be unusable, but I only noticed because I was one my modem for another reason. I have a MB7621 on Spectrum.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Finally got off my ass and talked to Comcast. For Gigabit internet (which I'm pretty sure would have the like 25 up like someone above) it would cost me an extra $70, so $150 before taxes and shit, and $100 installation.

Meanwhile, CenturyLink Gigabit (which I believe is matching up and down) is $80 and $60 installation.

You really nailed that one Comcast. Great job. CenturyLink is even advertising it on the only billboard allowed in town (it's electronic and by the bridge crossing the river, it rotates through things), I'm sure Comcast market share has to be getting crushed here.
So I was talking to my friends and one of them knew a guy who could get me the installation and modem rental waived with CenturyLink. Talked to him last Tuesday, had install appointment for yesterday. Friday night I get an email about a cancel. They don't come Monday. He calls me Monday and was like you didn't cancel right? Apparently someone cancelled it because when they looked at my order someone with the same address but lives on Avenue instead of Street (all the shit around here is # st, # avenue, # terrace, etc with all the same house numbers and shit) and saw the other address has service already, so it must be a mistake. New installation appointment setup for this Friday and they're going to give me a month free for the hassle.

This is seeming to work out great. I'm really looking foward to having symetrical gigabit internet.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
Long story, but I will soon be looking to get internet service. I don't think I need anything crazy. I will mostly use it for watching some YouTube and playing some online games like Diablo 3, WoW, etc.

I see everyone here talking about gigabit service but what do you need that fast of service for? Even for online gaming the ping is the more important thing right? Given, it has been a really long time since I have had internet service.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
I see everyone here talking about gigabit service but what do you need that fast of service for? Even for online gaming the ping is the more important thing right? Given, it has been a really long time since I have had internet service.

For my area it's basically a one size fits all. I have "100 Mbps down" supposedly there is Gig speeds but I haven't seen any mention of it. I can't select anything other than "Internet" on my account.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Long story, but I will soon be looking to get internet service. I don't think I need anything crazy. I will mostly use it for watching some YouTube and playing some online games like Diablo 3, WoW, etc.

I like high definition streaming to my big screen tv.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>

Generally speaking, yes, latency is the most important thing for games, but fiber latency is usually quite good on top of its raw speed. Most fiber plans also have symmetrical up/down, which is nice if you are a telecommuter. And if you're streaming something, the connection can download the entire stream pretty much instantly, which minimizes the chance of buffering.

25 Mbps is more than enough for a single gamer with a good connection and latency. Only reason a person really would need more would be a multi-person household of heavy internet users.