Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
X1 is buggy as hell. A lot of times our menus get stuck in some weird state where you have to pwoer the box. But of course, we're recording shows so we can't power it.. so we just have to sit.. and wait.. and not watch anything.

Also the menus are SLOW. Not as slow as FIOS, but just bordering above that.

The internet has been top notch for us though.
My DirecTV boxes are slow as holy shit now that I've had them for about 3 years. Channels take so long to change that my TV goes into sleep mode thinking there is no signal at all from the box. I'll literally stare at a black screen for 15-20 seconds sometimes when changing a channel. It's like my TV is on dialup internet. Screen goes black, maybe 10 seconds later parts of the guide/banner fill in, and then another 10-15 seconds later the picture appears. I would have demanded new boxes a while ago but I've had a pending Google Fiber install for over a year now, just waiting for that so I can be done with this crap.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My DirecTV DVR is starting to have the occasional long pause lately where it doesn't respond to the remote for 10+ seconds but they're nowhere near as bad as what you're talking about. I hope that's not going to be my future. Since I'm paying $30 fucking dollars a month in equipment rental fees they should really be willing to replace that shit if it's not working any better than that. If I were you I would demand new boxes even if you're only going to be with them a couple more months.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
My mother has Time Warner Internet, and just got a notice in the mail last week stating that TW is raising their "modem rental fee" from $3.99 per month to $9.99 per month. Just ordered her one of these, because fuck that.

Amazon.com: ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem - Retail Packaging - White: Computers Accessories
Wow, she was getting a "good" deal on the modem fee. TWC has been charging $8 here for the last few years and just upped it to $10, also adding $2 to internet plans.

I'd love to get a modem for my parents, but they get their phones through TWC as well. The modem they get from TWC has the phone hardware in addition to the modem/router stuff, so I'm not sure how things would work. Anyone have any experience with that?

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
My future in-laws have both the cable company's modem with phone shit they pay a lease for and one they bought. The leased hardware looks to be over 10 years old, so my guess is they weren't getting very good wireless because it sucks, so went out and got conned by some idiot at Office Depot into buying a modem, and when that didn't work probably finally bought their router which is terrible even after I pulled it out of a blocked cubby hole in their desk.

But basically, if you want to pay a monthly fee to have home phone service you'll have to buy a more expensive and usually shitty combination modem/router or keep leasing one. Why not pay extra to have a home phone, though? I mean someone from the 90's might try to call you!

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Wow, she was getting a "good" deal on the modem fee. TWC has been charging $8 here for the last few years and just upped it to $10, also adding $2 to internet plans.

I'd love to get a modem for my parents, but they get their phones through TWC as well. The modem they get from TWC has the phone hardware in addition to the modem/router stuff, so I'm not sure how things would work. Anyone have any experience with that?
Buy them an Ooma instead. VOIP phone, you pay for the initial box (around $60 on sale lately) and then all you ever pay again are the fees/taxes for phone service which in my city is about $3 per month.

Unless Time Warner tries to give them the run-around that it's actually cheaper to bundle a phone in too, rather than having just internet + TV.

Oh, the only additional expense with Ooma is if you want to keep your same phone number, they do charge like $30-$40 to transfer your current number over. So you could be looking at a roughly ~$100 up-front expense with Ooma for the box + number transfer, but if it even saves them $10 a month you're still coming out ahead in a year or so

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Those with a slow cable box, have you tried hard rebooting it? I'm betting it doesn't "shut down" when you turn it off, rather just go to sleep. Any type of memory or cache clearing probably only happens when it does a full reboot.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
No the X1 box we have is just slow - it's always been slow. I've power cycled it a few times to fix various shit issues that pop up.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
AT&T has stopped making U-verse set top boxes. Their plan is to push everyone to DirecTV and mobile broadband and then eventually kill off U-verse entirely.
They aren't going to kill it, they are selling it off, they've sold 3 entire states already to Frontier Communications.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Those with a slow cable box, have you tried hard rebooting it? I'm betting it doesn't "shut down" when you turn it off, rather just go to sleep. Any type of memory or cache clearing probably only happens when it does a full reboot.
I did that about 6 months ago. My slowass DirecTV box took 75 minutes to reboot/download updates before it was usable again. Shit was ridiculous.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Buy them an Ooma instead. VOIP phone, you pay for the initial box (around $60 on sale lately) and then all you ever pay again are the fees/taxes for phone service which in my city is about $3 per month.

Unless Time Warner tries to give them the run-around that it's actually cheaper to bundle a phone in too, rather than having just internet + TV.

Oh, the only additional expense with Ooma is if you want to keep your same phone number, they do charge like $30-$40 to transfer your current number over. So you could be looking at a roughly ~$100 up-front expense with Ooma for the box + number transfer, but if it even saves them $10 a month you're still coming out ahead in a year or so
They've had the same home phone number for the last 30 years and refuse to ditch it, even though it's mostly telemarketers and political bullshit calls. Right now they're on a promo bundle for phone/internet/tv, so I'll have to see what it would cost after breaking that up.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They aren't going to kill it, they are selling it off, they've sold 3 entire states already to Frontier Communications.
Got turned down for a job with Frontier because they had just brought on 3 states from Verizon and after the whole interview process was told they didn't have enough time to train someone new. Assholes!

Gator

Molten Core Raider
I have X1 and the box was amazing when we first got it. It was responsive and fast. I was blown away after using Uverse but it didn't last. The box is slow and I noticed it's based on how much crap your DVR has installed. Below 50% full and it's great but once it hits 80%+ you just want to throw the damn thing out a window.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Got turned down for a job with Frontier because they had just brought on 3 states from Verizon and after the whole interview process was told they didn't have enough time to train someone new. Assholes!
I got a job with Frontier because they just bought 3 states.
wink.png

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nevermind, TWC is not cheaper than U-Verse, they just hide all the additional fees on their bundle price whereas U-Verse has it all upfront. Plus, TWC only offers bundles in their most expensive packages so you end up with way more service than you need. TWC internet is a lot faster at similar price points but something in the 24-45 Mbps is going to get the job done just fine in a 1 bedroom apartment.

Guvnah

Lord Nagafen Raider
Closing the loop on the Quantum Wireless microwave point-to-point using Ubiquiti NanoStation or NanoBridge viaColumbia Missouri |High Speed Internet, Television | Cable Fiber DSL Internet.

Advertised speeds were 10/3. Checked a local testing point on speedtest at 7:30pm on a tuesday and was getting 12 down, 6 up. Stable and reasonably fast for my area. Cost is $80 per month and install was $100.

The device they installed looks like a small satellite dish pointed at the cell tower and they mounted it to my DirecTV pole.

All in all, I am pretty satisfied thus far.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Looks like it's an HR22 actually. Old as shit I'd imagine. Ive had these boxes for probably 4 years now, and who knows how old they were before I even got them.
Yeah, that one is very old. Directv sent me a newer DVR, HR-24, for an HR-21 that shit the bed on me and man it's a night and day difference between them in terms of speed.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Closing the loop on the Quantum Wireless microwave point-to-point using Ubiquiti NanoStation or NanoBridge viaColumbia Missouri |High Speed Internet, Television | Cable Fiber DSL Internet.

Advertised speeds were 10/3. Checked a local testing point on speedtest at 7:30pm on a tuesday and was getting 12 down, 6 up. Stable and reasonably fast for my area. Cost is $80 per month and install was $100.

The device they installed looks like a small satellite dish pointed at the cell tower and they mounted it to my DirecTV pole.

All in all, I am pretty satisfied thus far.
My parents have had a similar set up for years and it's generally pretty good.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Wtf cox. Transferring my service and guy said since my house hasnt had any service in over a calendar year they have to send a tech out to do professional installation just for internet.