Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea, the 1gb from Comcast I have is nice, but not necessary by any means, and it's still over copper, not fiber.

I've never had CenturyLink but have had a number of friends sign up for them from the door to door salesmen, and it's always been a bad experience. This makes sense though because they are putting the salesmen in the middle and expecting everything to work out.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Yea, the 1gb from Comcast I have is nice, but not necessary by any means, and it's still over copper, not fiber.

I've never had CenturyLink but have had a number of friends sign up for them from the door to door salesmen, and it's always been a bad experience. This makes sense though because they are putting the salesmen in the middle and expecting everything to work out.
My experience with CenturyLink sucked a lot on initial setup, but since then it's been pretty good overall. Every 6 months or something there will be a day where the internet is out like 12 hours or something, but generally speaking no problems.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
So it begins.

I have to pay the 30 bucks...

View attachment 329837

Well, if it makes you feel better, here's my data meter 1 day after the reset...

Screenshot 2021-01-19 at 6.16.43 PM.png

And here's my un-throttled speed test at 6:15 PM on a Tuesday night.

This is why I'm excited about Starlink.

• 2Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1RAGE
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 3 users

Goatface

might be a dumb question, but can they run fiber optic over poles in the upper south with snow and shit? back with obama funds locals put in underground fiber but stopped like 800ft* away from my house with a field and river in the way. said it would cost them $30k or more to wire my block and using poles was not an option.
a new company bought out the locals and claim my house is now in their coverage area, but 100% sure no underground lines have be put in.

800ft is a straight line, the way the poles are set up would be almost 1500 ft

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I think it's possible but putting it on poles is less reliable and it runs into a lot of complications with the power company and others who are leasing space on the poles etc. It's cheaper initially but I think a lot of companies don't want to do it.

Sucks that they stopped so close to you. I called my local telephone coop when I moved back to Montana and they told me they planned to run fiber to my house. I asked "When? 2 years? 5 years? 10 years?". He just said "Well it definitely won't be 10 years". That was 12 years ago and right now they have us scheduled for like 2027 or something. In their defense, I'm 7.5 miles from the nearest place they told me that they have fiber and there's only 5 houses on the way here and 3 on down the road so it's not like it would ever make sense financially. Pinning my hopes on Starlink.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
You can easily setup a 10+ Km wireless link if you have a direct line of sight. Mikrotik sells some amazing stuff for this starting at ~200$.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
That's interesting. Unfortunately it's a very hilly area.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
You can also go source -> top of hill -> your place but it all depends on the power availability on the top of the hill. If you have to go solar & shit it gets complicated.

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
Is Starlink actually gonna be that fast? I guess I was under the impression that it would be a slightly faster HughesNet, which is super slow and high latency.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
yea i've had to deal w/ that bullshit since i've been here in ks, i always go 10gb just under the monthly

Comcast pushed the data cap back until August in Massachusetts thanks to lawmakers finally saying how BS it is. But it's coming, I have no doubt.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Is Starlink actually gonna be that fast? I guess I was under the impression that it would be a slightly faster HughesNet, which is super slow and high latency.
Beta testers are getting 100MB down, 20MB up and 30ish mS pings. That blows hughesnet out of the water. So far there's no data cap either where Hughesnet caps you at 10-50 GB depending on your plan. Hughesnet and Viasat claim to be 25MB but you never actually get that. A lot of times it's less than half that and of course 600ms+ pings.

Starlink beta testers report good speeds and latency - Fast Company​

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Comcast pushed the data cap back until August in Massachusetts thanks to lawmakers finally saying how BS it is. But it's coming, I have no doubt.
i know our viewing habits so rarely does it go over, it sucks but cox has an app that shows data usage and i put it on my phone widget, i'm sure you probably have the same

you have so many kids in that house tho, i'm surprised you haven't passed the cap

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I dont know how they beat the latency issue. Math is math. The distances to a satellite and back are real. Light still has a finite speed and it takes time to get from point A to point B. Granted its pretty fast, but those satellites aren't 10 feet away.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I dont know how they beat the latency issue. Math is math. The distances to a satellite and back are real. Light still has a finite speed and it takes time to get from point A to point B. Granted its pretty fast, but those satellites aren't 10 feet away.
Starlink uses low earth orbit satellites. They are like 2-400 miles away. Hughesnet and Viasat have a single satellite in geostationary orbit which is like 25000 miles away so they are pretty much limited by physics to a shitty latency. LEO means you need way more satellites and a much more sophisticated receiver, but it solves the latency problem.

• 1Like

Goatface

apparently VA is under contract now with starlink to provide internet to students with no access to traditional providers. 1st round is $2million for up to 2000 students. news didn't go into detail how that works, right now start up kit runs $500-600 plus $99 per month.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Well, if it makes you feel better, here's my data meter 1 day after the reset...

View attachment 329945

And here's my un-throttled speed test at 6:15 PM on a Tuesday night.

This is why I'm excited about Starlink.

Are you with Hughes Net? Or who?

How bad is 8/3 speed? Do pages load every time you try or do you have to like refresh if the load shits out? Can you stream from Netflix etc?