Sex, Drugs, Riffs & Solos: The Rock Thread \m/

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I can't link it at work but if you want some seriously good rock just listen to pretty much anything by J Roddy Walston and the Business

But start with "Don't Break the Needle"
Went to see Wolfmother 4 or 5 years ago, and J Roddy Walston and the Business was opening for them. Had never heard of them before(their first album had just come out) but they blew the whole place away. They got the whole venue worked up into more of a frenzy than Wolfmother ever did.

I kind of expected them to be the next big thing after seeing them live, but they've just never really hit it big. They're still putting out music, and still touring, but they aren't nearly as popular as they should be. I kinda expected them to blow up similar to the Black Keys or something.

That being said, anyone have any new music recommendations for someone that is a big Jack White fan? I also like old Black Keys(when they were still a duo, playing blues). Looking for something in that vein, bluesy(can even be Southern) Rock. Simple stuff, guitar, piano, whatever. I generally hate anything that sounds overly produced/synthesized, like M83, Placebo, LCD soundsystem, Alt-J, not really in to any of that. Muse even drifts a little too far into that realm for my liking(I like some of their songs, but very few of their albums as a whole)

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That being said, anyone have any new music recommendations for someone that is a big Jack White fan? I also like old Black Keys(when they were still a duo, playing blues). Looking for something in that vein, bluesy(can even be Southern) Rock. Simple stuff, guitar, piano, whatever. I generally hate anything that sounds overly produced/synthesized, like M83, Placebo, LCD soundsystem, Alt-J, not really in to any of that. Muse even drifts a little too far into that realm for my liking(I like some of their songs, but very few of their albums as a whole)
You might dig The Sheepdogs. There's a song in the OP. They have an excellent southern/classic rock sound. Also put on a great live show.

These guys are also really good.

So much good music in Austin these days.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Went to see Wolfmother 4 or 5 years ago, and J Roddy Walston and the Business was opening for them. Had never heard of them before(their first album had just come out) but they blew the whole place away. They got the whole venue worked up into more of a frenzy than Wolfmother ever did.

I kind of expected them to be the next big thing after seeing them live, but they've just never really hit it big. They're still putting out music, and still touring, but they aren't nearly as popular as they should be. I kinda expected them to blow up similar to the Black Keys or something.

J Roddy is gaining a lot of momentum right now I'd say, I saw them at the Newport Folk Fest this past year and people were real into it. And usually that's a good starting point. Before Newport they had like 5k followers on Spotify, now they have like 17k. But they are probably the second best live show I've gone to. They are pure rock live.

Also, Sheepdogs and Bright Light Social hour are really good too like Alex said. Thumbs up!

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Here's some more good stuff. Relatively unknown. I think they are no longer together though, never saw em live:

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Traumahawk is solid. Check out Torche if you haven't.

New album out next month:

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I dont know how I forgot about it but Red Fang is a PDX band thats getting pretty big lately

There is sleeps - holy mountain that is a bit stonerish but still decently rocking.
KYuss ain't half bad either.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Good call on Red Fang. That's some solid metal. Good riffs in that stuff.

I completely forgot about Antemasque's album coming out at the end of last year. I picked it up and it's pretty good. It's a bit much at times (typical of those Mars Volta cats), but there are some good tracks there. Flea knows how to play bass.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Cant let this thread ride without mentioning Slayer in here. Definitely some good riffs, drums, vocals... although leads were a bit lacklustre. Late 80s to mid 90s Slayer was at the top of the game IMO. Saw them live a few times back then. always a classic, even if its not as "hardcore" as it once was.

Not bad for 1988.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah, Slayer doesn't really fit the thread. The Sword and Red Fang are OK because they're a bit more "classic" in their sound I suppose. The metal thread is a whole lotta shit that I'm not into at all. Growl vocals...

bwuceli_sl

shitlord

Don't know if you are familiar with these guys, they're good and have been around a while. I think I saw them last year, but I honestly can't remember. They were at Roadburn, but we were so far gone that evening... Anyway, they are back this year and I'm going to try to stay sober till after they are done playing this time.

*edit* I was wrong, it wasn't Roadburn, I was present at their Antwerp gig.