Shōgun

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Buntaro is the most alpha guy in the show so of course he has to play the cuck.

The man can't make a single decision for himself and you call him an alpha, LMAO. He's showing you he's a cuck and you're like, "nah my wife's boyfriend wouldn't do that."

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bald Brah

Bronze Squire
The man can't make a single decision for himself and you call him an alpha, LMAO. He's showing you he's a cuck and you're like, "nah my wife's boyfriend wouldn't do that."
That's the point dumas, he fights his way out of an entire city full of enemies. He's obviously the best swordsman in the realm. But he's also the biggest cuck. Stuff like that is what make the show seem stupid. It's a soap opera trope. The real cuck is the writer and anyone who believes the guy wouldn't have beheaded anyone that came near his property.

Cybsled

Did you ignore the part where he WANTED to kill John and asked permission? He is still rules based. John was raised in rank significantly - if Buntaro just flat out murdered John without permission from his Lord, then his own life would be forfeit and he would be dishonored.

Buntaro sought permission to kill John from Toronaga. Toronaga called him on it and said 'ok, if you claim adultery happened, then that means you must also kill your wife'. Since Buntaro didn't want to kill his wife, just John, he backed down.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bald Brah

Bronze Squire
Did you ignore the part where he WANTED to kill John and asked permission? He is still rules based. John was raised in rank significantly - if Buntaro just flat out murdered John without permission from his Lord, then his own life would be forfeit and he would be dishonored.

Buntaro sought permission to kill John from Toronaga. Toronaga called him on it and said 'ok, if you claim adultery happened, then that means you must also kill your wife'. Since Buntaro didn't want to kill his wife, just John, he backed down.
That's the point. IRL he would have beheaded both of them without a second thought and went and got 15 new concubines. But the cuck writer writes him as a cuck.

• 3Picard

Bald Brah

Bronze Squire
You knew Buntaro IRL?
The character is based on one of the most famous Samurai who ever lived. Who was most definitely not a stupid cuck.

In reality…European sources of the time suggests that every time Tadaoki left his wife he had standing orders for them to kill her if she might come to danger of dishonoring the family name.

This is also pretty believable because some old writings suggest that Tadaoki had a thing for murdering handmaidens. When he or his wife’s maids made him angry, he was not above simply drawing his sword and cutting them down where they stood, apparently.

All right, so maybe the romance of Tadaoki and Tamako is just a revisionist legend and the truth was that Tadaoki was a brutal, psychotic man who married an unlucky chick.

• 3Like

Cybsled

Even if you go with your story, there is a big difference between him killing his wife or handmaiden vs. killing some ranking individual in his lord's army.

Bald Brah

Bronze Squire
Even if you go with your story, there is a big difference between him killing his wife or handmaiden vs. killing some ranking individual in his lord's army.
It's the difference in writing between an accurate historical piece and a soap opera. Shogun took an actual historical era with real characters as a base and introduced a bunch of soap opera cliches to appeal to a broader audience. So you get women and normies too, instead of a bunch of nerdy guys who attend reenactments and renessaince fairs.

Bald Brah

Bronze Squire
I think he sucked a lot of penises attached to tiny hats. Can a gay guy wearing a beard be considered a cuck?

spronk

FPS noob
yabushige is the true japans alpha, forsaking the pleasure of the pussy to focus on what is important - creating the first death tier list for his legacy although one wonders if death in combat ranks higher or lower than death by blowjob

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The character is based on one of the most famous Samurai who ever lived. Who was most definitely not a stupid cuck.

In reality…European sources of the time suggests that every time Tadaoki left his wife he had standing orders for them to kill her if she might come to danger of dishonoring the family name.

This is also pretty believable because some old writings suggest that Tadaoki had a thing for murdering handmaidens. When he or his wife’s maids made him angry, he was not above simply drawing his sword and cutting them down where they stood, apparently.

All right, so maybe the romance of Tadaoki and Tamako is just a revisionist legend and the truth was that Tadaoki was a brutal, psychotic man who married an unlucky chick.

You're an absolute retard. Honor and obedience to tradition are/were more important than ANYTHING else to Buntaro and men like him.

Literally watching his wife suck off whiteboy-san is preferable to dishonoring his name, family, and ancestors by disobeying his lord and killing him, despite being told not to unless his wife died as well.

If Buntaro hadn't been expressly forbidden from killing Captain Hook then he would have beheaded him faster than The Flash can get a nut.

The only part of the love triangle I disagree with is that I don't believe Buntaro would have hesitated to kill both of them when given the chance, but that would have gutted the entire 'boss-bitch to save the realm' narrative

Minor dumb shit aside, I'm a sucker for any content that comes close to authentic Japanese dynasty and very much enjoying the show.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
Yikes, there's bad bosses that don't give a fuck about you, and then there's Toranaga.

Credit to the guy that basically gets ordered to open fire on the police and does it without hesitation.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider

That sounds like the definition of a guy with extremely small penis and even smaller, fragile ego.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I never read Shogun, though now I will. But I've read plenty of nonfic about this period. Not sure why the original novel never landed on my radar.

I'm like 75% through the audiobook and aside from a couple spots where the reader does too good a job portraying crybaby Englishmen in a hole it's very good. Something I had never really thought about was how the 1800s are such the default pop culture time period of choice for anything involving ships. A story set in the very late 1500s to early 1600s gets to be fresh because we're just not there very often.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
jesus that was an insane hour of TV. I felt like i got two extremes of Japan, the tea ceremony and the signature ceremony. Be very curious to see what Japanese people think of the show after it finishes, like if I saw an episode of a Japanese made western where a dude has 8 guns and is blowing bad guys away and then fucks his wife while drinking whiskey and a bald eagle flies over I'd clap and say that captured the essence of America perfectly

until the final Toranaga/Mariko scene I really, really had no clue what the fuck was going on lol, glad they didn't save that for next episode.

the actress for Mariko is just killing it, she is the super MVP of the show and everything she does is absolutely riveting, can't take your eyes off the screen. Goddamn she's cold hearted

GKtx1oAb0AAKgJz.jpg
It's a badass show. My wife hasn't tried watching it yet, so I'll get her to as soon as it's over.