Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm several hours in now and can safely say this is more of the same (with modest improvements) - and I love it. Still getting occasional hitching on PC, possibly related to background loading?

No hitching for me yet. No background DL's tho

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Fixed my stuttering and freezing problems by going into Task Manager and setting the priority for SotTR to High. I vaguely recall needing to do this once or twice before for other games, but not sure why it happens.

Nonetheless, very excited to be able to play smoothly.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
played about 4 hours so far, its just meh. Visually great, the voice actor is fantastic I feel, but I am not really loving the story, other characters, immersion, etc. The story and writing is just a huge step back for the franchise, and I have the same problems as I do with most Ubisoft games - after 2 or 3 hours of playing I'm bored and ready to go do something else. In fact playing right now and so bored I'm writing this post instead of playing.

It explains a lot that its by the studio that did the last Deus Ex game, its the same problems though. Its a decent game, but its not great and in a game full of really GREAT games I'm not sure why I am playing this. I'll finish this off and trade it in cuz why not, but so far I thought even stuff like Assassins Creed Origins and Far Cry 5 was more fun.

The interface is not great either, I still have problems trying to craft shit, they made it confusing as hell. You have to craft stuff in real time, in combat, there is no pause and craft type of menu. World map seems sorta big but it also seems to be in just one country, I really hope there is more than just jungle environments.

No input lag issues on X so far, and they have two options - prioritize FPS (think it runs at 1080p?) or visuals (4k) and I'm running prioritize FPS and it is running great so far. First few hours is very reminiscent of the 2013 reboot, jungle environments and you start off really bare equipment wise, lot of stealth and crafting.

End of the day I was totally hooked into Uncharted Lost Legacy (the Chloe Frazer DLC) after just 2 hours and its a 10-15 hour game which was just perfect. I am not really hooked at all so far with TR. They also changed Lara's face a lot in this game, not sure why they keep changing her every 2 years.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I noticed the face seemed different too. I assumed they were going for "older" since she was supposed to be pretty young in the first one.

My save completion says 54% so I assume I'm nearing 3/4 mark in the story. It's a must buy if you enjoyed the first two, but as spronk said, it's -ok- otherwise. It's definitely not bad, but it's not as exciting as the previous two.

Personally, I'm enjoying the hell out of it and have only really stopped playing to post here and spend time with the fam. Assuming I've still got power tomorrow, I'll finish it in the morning.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah I’m totally loving it. It’s no Uncharted 2 but what is.

That’s right nothing.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
played about 4 hours so far, its just meh. Visually great, the voice actor is fantastic I feel, but I am not really loving the story, other characters, immersion, etc. The story and writing is just a huge step back for the franchise, and I have the same problems as I do with most Ubisoft games - after 2 or 3 hours of playing I'm bored and ready to go do something else. In fact playing right now and so bored I'm writing this post instead of playing.

It explains a lot that its by the studio that did the last Deus Ex game, its the same problems though. Its a decent game, but its not great and in a game full of really GREAT games I'm not sure why I am playing this. I'll finish this off and trade it in cuz why not, but so far I thought even stuff like Assassins Creed Origins and Far Cry 5 was more fun.

The interface is not great either, I still have problems trying to craft shit, they made it confusing as hell. You have to craft stuff in real time, in combat, there is no pause and craft type of menu. World map seems sorta big but it also seems to be in just one country, I really hope there is more than just jungle environments.

No input lag issues on X so far, and they have two options - prioritize FPS (think it runs at 1080p?) or visuals (4k) and I'm running prioritize FPS and it is running great so far. First few hours is very reminiscent of the 2013 reboot, jungle environments and you start off really bare equipment wise, lot of stealth and crafting.

End of the day I was totally hooked into Uncharted Lost Legacy (the Chloe Frazer DLC) after just 2 hours and its a 10-15 hour game which was just perfect. I am not really hooked at all so far with TR. They also changed Lara's face a lot in this game, not sure why they keep changing her every 2 years.

I'm noticing this as well. I play it on PC and had to ALT-TAB out of the game to find out how to craft fire arrows (middle mouse button, BTW). My thing with the game is that you walk up something, and nothing appears over it, as though you can't interact with it. Walk up to the same exact thing from the opposite direction and it appears.

Just small shit like that. I'm also not a huge fan of the "You have to buy a skill tile linked with this to get this ability". wat? That completely hamstrings the skill tree, then. Bah. I'm sounding like a first world petulant child.

It is good, and it is fun. Just there are some minor issues.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The sounds while being underwater are fantastic. I hope you have a nice sound bar or headphones.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
You know what sounds I’m really tired of? Bats. So many chirping bats that are like nails on a chalkboard after a few minutes.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
You know what sounds I’m really tired of? Bats. So many chirping bats that are like nails on a chalkboard after a few minutes.

All those years killing bats and rats in EQ didn't prepare you? SQUEEEEK, SCREEEECCCH!

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Trees are taking out electric poles up in here. My tomb raiding days are on indefinite hold :(

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Lol yeah. Fucking media has to be disappointed that the hurricane isn’t as destructive as they predicted instead of being grateful that millions of people won’t be devestated for weeks.

Our power came back on for an hour or so before going out again. The ground is so saturated that the relatively tame wind is uprooting them and bringing down electric lines. I don’t envy the linemen. Hopefully they're making bank and getting overtime and hazard pay.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I’m in an RV for the weekend but get back tomorrow. GameFly shipped this so I will be able to check it out.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Hat trick.

Installing now. Hurricane is blowing through in a couple days so I gotta make this quick!

Edit: This is the first screen after you start a new game... I'm hoping this is an attempt to diminish triggering, not a foreshadowing of political BS:

View attachment 175868

Hires "historian consultants"

Shows me an ancient Mayan wheeled cart 10 minutes into the game

Pre Columbian civs didnt have wheeled carts (they didnt even have the wheel basically) - only on toys

Last edited:

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>

Shows me a fucking wheeled cart 10 minutes into the game

Pre Columbian civs didnt have wheeled carts (they didnt even have the wheel basically) - only on toys
To their credit, I’m about 3/4 through the game, and they’ve had plenty of opportunity to get political and preachy and haven’t taken any of them.

You definitely have to suspend almost all disbelief of historical accuracy in these games haha. I look at it in the same way as I look at movies like Mission Impossible. You’re not here for perfect recreation of the world. You’re here to live out your action hero fantasy. Some things work the same way in both worlds, but the game would be a lot less fun if you died from a single bullet and couldn’t jump 15 ft wide chasms or bury your climbing axes deep into cliff faces.

Speaking of which, I tried the “immersive” language option (almost all NPCs speak non-English languages). After a couple hours i ended up turning it off again. My immersion was more broken by having to read all the subtitles than it was hearing English from native South American tribes.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
To their credit, I’m about 3/4 through the game, and they’ve had plenty of opportunity to get political and preachy and haven’t taken any of them.

You definitely have to suspend almost all disbelief of historical accuracy in these games haha. I look at it in the same way as I look at movies like Mission Impossible. You’re not here for perfect recreation of the world. You’re here to live out your action hero fantasy. Some things work the same way in both worlds, but the game would be a lot less fun if you died from a single bullet and couldn’t jump 15 ft wide chasms or bury your climbing axes deep into cliff faces.

Speaking of which, I tried the “immersive” language option (almost all NPCs speak non-English languages). After a couple hours i ended up turning it off again. My immersion was more broken by having to read all the subtitles than it was hearing English from native South American tribes.
Good to hear, that's the way the last couple games were. Lara is the keystone cops of archaeologists, but she does it with a bow and an assault rifle which is a lot of fun. I'm in only 4-5 hours into the game and the story is feeling like Rise of the Tomb Raider. It's there and it pushes the game along. But it's not why I'm playing and it doesn't take away from the parts of the game that I really enjoy.

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Shows me an ancient Mayan wheeled cart 10 minutes into the game

They also didn't have absurdly intricate traps that have remained functional for centuries and gigantic doors that open as smoothly as a modern bank vault. If they actually listened to historical consultants for anything more than the most general idea of Mayan history and architecture there's no game left at all.

Especially when Lara just speaks back to them in English anyway. I shut that shit off after my first conversation in the town.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Especially when Lara just speaks back to them in English anyway. I shut that shit off after my first conversation in the town.
Yeah, that was probably why I didn’t like it too. Why bother voicing native languages if Lara’s just gonna speak in English anyway? Lol