Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
And how is that related to you thinking Shang-Chi is a good movie or bad? Is a movie bad because it was made with/for China? Is it good because it was made AGAINST China's wishes?

What the fuck does all this have to do with whether the movie was fun, entertaining, bad, etc?
it has everything to do with it when they cater to their ideology.

• 1Garbage
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
does shang chi have much or anything to do with Marvel phase 4, or is pretty much an independent "its nice, but not important" movie like Black Widow?

Without going into spoilers, it's a self-contained story but the very end (mid-credits scene) brings in some information that will likely thicken the plot down the road.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
And how is that related to you thinking Shang-Chi is a good movie or bad? Is a movie bad because it was made with/for China? Is it good because it was made AGAINST China's wishes?

What the fuck does all this have to do with whether the movie was fun, entertaining, bad, etc?
if shangchi wanted to market to china they wouldn't have such an ugly chinese like awkwafina

he'll shes not even chinese, shes a mutt

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 2 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
it has everything to do with it when they cater to their ideology.

You're just regurgitating your redpill dinner, that's not an explaination. Explain to me how your enjoyment about martial arts scenes, scenery, acting, humor is dependent on China's politics for this film or other films filmed with a release in China in mind?

• 2Like
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 2 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
if shangchi wanted to market to china they wouldn't have such an ugly chinese like awkwafina

Apparently the main dude who plays Shang-Chi is also considered supremely ugly by China's standards, so I guess that's two for two. At least Michelle Yeoh is still pretty good-looking at her age.

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Apparently the main dude who plays Shang-Chi is also considered supremely ugly by China's standards, so I guess that's two for two. At least Michelle Yeoh is still pretty good-looking at her age.
he's ugly b/c he's compared to fucking tony leung in the same fucking movie, any asian looks like dog shit compared to tony, no matter what your age

• 1Worf

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
You're just regurgitating your redpill dinner, that's not an explaination. Explain to me how your enjoyment about martial arts scenes, scenery, acting, humor is dependent on China's politics for this film or other films filmed with a release in China in mind?
if my enjoyment is through manipulation and propaganda, sure whatever floats your boat. Triumph of The Will was very entertaining too

• 2Picard

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
he's ugly b/c he's compared to fucking tony leung in the same fucking movie, any asian looks like dog shit compared to tony, no matter what your age

Speak for yourself.

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Worf

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
the success of a movie is entirely dependent on china movie ticket sales
This has nothing really to do with this movie, but I wonder how true that actually is, other than being able to say "MOVIE GROSSED OVER A BILLION DOLLARS". The reason we still track US and Worldwide gross is the US studios get tremendously more per ticket from those sale, I wouldn't be surprised if they saw less than 5 or 10 cents on the dollar from a China ticket sale, anyway (whereas I think they start at almost 60 to 75 cents on the dollar for a disney release opening weekend here in the states).

I think Fast and Furious 9 was the last western movie to open in China, and it had nothing to do with ideology or any of that shit, it had to do with the fact that a major investor in the movie is a Chinese production company. Disney could have all their movies open in China today if they agreed to split the profits with Tencent Pictures of China Film Group or Huayi Brothers.

On the title topic, I will reiterate this movie is good and you should see it, it itself does not tie into the greater MCU until the midcredits scene, other than the Wong and Abom cameo that was in the trailer.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This is the movie thread. How dare you talk about movie ticket sales, movie distribution areas, movie editing to appease certain countries' government restrictions and some countries stealing the IP of the movie and selling knock off copies that negatively impact sales of the movie?
GTFO!!!

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
This is the movie thread. How dare you talk about movie ticket sales, movie distribution areas, movie editing to appease certain countries' government restrictions and some countries stealing the IP of the movie and selling knock off copies that negatively impact sales of the movie?
GTFO!!!
we are only allowed to talk about if it was fun to watch according to Runnen. everything else is off limits because that's "red pill dinner" stuff.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I saw this today and I did enjoy the movie for what it was. But looking back, the movie itself was a cross between 3 Ninja's & Crazy Rich Asians. A lot of the cast was the same. Aquafena was the best friend, much like she was in CRA. The Aunt was the mom in CRA too. The fight scenes were entertaining. I enjoyed the movie. One of my favorite lines is how the 6 cities in the other dimension are way more advanced than anything found in this dimension. So Wakanda is no longer #1. Good.

EDIT: I also filmed the close of the movie. No fights or anything, but the aftermath + both after credits scenes. Feel free to watch.
Video doesn't work yet. Processing, but it should be live shortly if anyone wants to watch.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Picard

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

this was cited as the main reason the Chinese people rejected positive word of mouth for this movie.

awkwafina was seen as an insult to traditional chinese beauty. they said it lacks all respect.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Also, I don't think the BMW in Shang-Chi was the X3 that they're talking about. It was a car because the water bottle wanted to race it.
EDIT: Oh, nevermind. The X3 was the sword hand guy's car that they stole. It had so many stickers on the outside that I didn't realize it was even BMW.
That red sports car in the beginning, though... Beautiful.

spronk

FPS noob
looks like shang chi is tracking to do $60-65m opening weekend, which is respectable. On the other hand its kinda hilarious seeing the twists and turns critics and hollywood reporters are doing to say its an amazing number, considering black widow did $80m opening weekend (theatrical) PLUS $60m disney+, and Shang Chi is theaters ONLY. You'd think it beats Black Widow handily, given its a long weekend (kids are free) and its theaters ONLY for at least 45 days. Currently the audience skews 69% male and 31% female.

The lowest MCU opening weekends are Ant Man ($57m), Hulk ($55m), and Thor/Captain America 1 ($55m) although all did $300-400m global runs and it seems unlikely Shang Chi will come anywhere close given it won't open in China.

• 2Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It has nothing to do with the actual movie, only the perceived politics surrounding it. Y'all see everything through your goddamn redpilled prism and it's so pathetic. The Movie House is meant to be the place to talk about what you thought of the trailers at first and then the movies, not to show how much you furiously masturbate to the future war with China.

Oh and obligatory insult I guess, you cunt.
Meanwhile you've derailed this thread more than it already was with your complaints about it. Well done?

• 1Worf

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
looks like shang chi is tracking to do $60-65m opening weekend, which is respectable. On the other hand its kinda hilarious seeing the twists and turns critics and hollywood reporters are doing to say its an amazing number, considering black widow did $80m opening weekend (theatrical) PLUS $60m disney+, and Shang Chi is theaters ONLY. You'd think it beats Black Widow handily, given its a long weekend (kids are free) and its theaters ONLY for at least 45 days. Currently the audience skews 69% male and 31% female.

The lowest MCU opening weekends are Ant Man ($57m), Hulk ($55m), and Thor/Captain America 1 ($55m) although all did $300-400m global runs and it seems unlikely Shang Chi will come anywhere close given it won't open in China.
Well remember. Black widow came out before the delta hysteria and is a character people have an attachment to and has been in a dozen marvel movies.

Shang chi is marvel kung fu theater.

• 1Like