Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021)

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
A92370CE-7D34-4FDA-8434-CC0A25A576AA.jpeg

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Spidey is the only one that matters this year. its the only one with any hype/buzz. i predict it will smash 100 million domestic easily. probably hit 125million or better. when it does that, be ready for a lot of excuses making because Marvel couldnt make a MCU film that could touch it. Sony is going to launch the spiderverse and if they're smart, they will cut ties with the MCU before they take Spidey down with them. Spiderman is the most famous comic book super hero and if he goes down, then the entire genre is in a lot of trouble.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
he's probably the first celebrity to throw a pitch and not embarress himself

bonus standing backflip

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I think the 10 rings compound looks so much better with all those horseshit fighter girl paintings all over the exterior. You tell the patriarchy what's up!

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
/shrug

Spiderman 3 (or anything with Spiderman in the title) performing better than random origin-story-movie for a virtually unknown character isn't really a high bar.

I mean, Thor 4 or Guardians 3 will probably outperform the Morbius introduction-movie too. Shocking, really, how that works.

Shang Chi is doing all right for what it is. Better than Antman or possibly Dr. Strange. Not as good as Black Panther or Captain Marvel. Middle of the road MCU solo-flick 🤯

• 1Picard
  • 1Pathetic
  • 1Direct to DVD
Reactions: 2 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Growing up I loved martial arts movies, Jet Li is still one of my favorites watching shit like Fist of Legends, but I have no idea about Ching Chang and the legend of the Faulty Armor rings its like Marvel is just phoning it in. Plus how the fuck does a bitch end up named Aquafina does she have a rival named Dasani? I don't understand the world anymore.

Maybe I 'll check this out since people are saying the action is decent and Michelle Yeoh is a goddamn legend but otherwise you guys make this sound like a forgettable middle child of a movie.

• 2Garbage
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i was going to grab a high seas copy to watch, but it was in horrible bootleg resolution/sound, so i deciced i didnt care enough to sit through it. when a decent screener is out ill revisit it.

• 1Salty
  • 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
strong performance of Shang Chi is having quick secondary effects, Venom Let there Be Carnage has now been moved to Oct 1st (from Oct 15th originally, moved to Jan 22, now back to Oct 1st).

Also means its 95% likely that Eternals will release on schedule, and all the other stuff won't get pushed around - Bond, Ghostbusters, Dune, Spider-man, etc.

asians saved theaters

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Juvarisx

Florida
The question will be how much (if any) of a falloff will there be next week?

Looks like it wont matter since Venom moved back to October release from January so it calmed a lot of nerves at the studios. The movie was never going to have a giant global release $$ amount since its not opening in China (possibly at all), so Disney just cares about domestic for the first time in forever. Movie did what it needed to, non established hero, not super famous actor, made bank on a holiday weekend during Delta. Eternals will def be coming out in November now.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I thought the side chick was a de-aged margaret cho at first. No so much in the face because all asians look the same anyway, it was the voice and attitude. But cho only has about half the tooth volume as awky.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Very enjoyable. One of the most relatable "villians" since they started the MCU. Action sequences were excellent and didn't have the quick cut bullshit to hide flaws or make it look better, especially the early fights. I'd knock a point or so off for the final act and all the CGI heavy dragon stuff. Maybe it was the two beers I had during the movie but there was a ton of motion going on in fairly dark lighting that made it hard to focus on. Aside from that I thought virtually every character was really well done, even Awkwafina's who I was most worried about. Liked this one way way more than I thought I was going to.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
I felt SORRY for the father. So desperate to get her back.

Wife loved it, was reluctant at first to see it, after movie she was like w hy didnt you tell me there was kirin, foo lions 9 tail foxes and a DRAGON i wouldnt have been reluctant if you told me a dragon was in it.

She wants to see eternals and carnage. She hasn't seen the spidey trailer.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Wife loved it, was reluctant at first to see it, after movie she was like w hy didnt you tell me there was kirin, foo lions 9 tail foxes and a DRAGON i wouldnt have been reluctant if you told me a dragon was in it.
SJW marketing. All I've heard about this is that it's the first Asian movie, people rightfully shitting on that claim, it's pandering to China and China banned it because baizuo.

It being good or not hasn't been relevant to either side.

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
a big monster at the end doesn't make it the villian, come on dude.

The dad? He was a henchman of the soul eating dragon squid. He also had the biggest character arc so he is arguably the main protagonist.