Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021)

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I missed the Widow and Extremis Soldier cameo.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
This was good for what it was.
I thought the side chick was a de-aged margaret cho at first. No so much in the face because all asians look the same anyway, it was the voice and attitude. But cho only has about half the tooth volume as awky.
I don't mind Awkafina but she sounds like she's been smoking 2 packs a day for the past thirty years. Maybe that's part of her appeal?

That said, I liked the movie well enough for what it was--Marvel's take on the kung-fu genre.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I missed the Widow and Extremis Soldier cameo.

Okay, that made me so not want to watch this movie.

I mean, I will, but if the purpose of that trailer was to generate interest it missed the mark by a looooong way.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Okay, that made me so not want to watch this movie.
Lol, man; that whole segment was probably my favorite part of the movie from start to finish at that establishment. Tons of visual noise, super Final Fight/Streets of Rage vibes. I think what would have made that shit 10/10 instead of 9/10 for me, is if they went a little more The Warriors with it and showed off some background factions..

unrelated, but the mental vibes i get.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The prospects for Disney/Marvel’s Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings getting a China release date are dwindling. This in the wake of comments originally made by star Simu Liu in 2017 which resurfaced this week and have made waves on Chinese social media. In a 2017 interview with the CBC, the Canadian-born actor referenced his parents telling him of conditions under Communist rule and referring to China as a “third world” country where people were “dying of starvation.”

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The prospects for Disney/Marvel’s Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings getting a China release date are dwindling. This in the wake of comments originally made by star Simu Liu in 2017 which resurfaced this week and have made waves on Chinese social media. In a 2017 interview with the CBC, the Canadian-born actor referenced his parents telling him of conditions under Communist rule and referring to China as a “third world” country where people were “dying of starvation.”
i thought he was a child immigrant from china, and thats why china at least entertained the idea

edit wiki says born in china
Liu was born in Harbin, China, and immigrated to Canada at the age of five after being raised by his grandparents for his first four years of life. He was raised in Erin Mills, an area of Mississauga, Ontario, and is an only child.[4] He attended University of Toronto Schools for high school. Liu graduated from Ivey Business School at the University of Western Ontario with honour in 2011, studying business administration. He worked as an accountant at Deloitte but was eventually laid off.[5][6] He decided to explore other career options before pursuing a career as an actor and stuntman.
i'm sure he has canada citizenship, but thats not where hes from

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Lol, man; that whole segment was probably my favorite part of the movie from start to finish at that establishment. Tons of visual noise, super Final Fight/Streets of Rage vibes. I think what would have made that shit 10/10 instead of 9/10 for me, is if they went a little more The Warriors with it and showed off some background factions..

unrelated, but the mental vibes i get.

Did you clock the Warriors poster in his apartment?

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i thought he was a child immigrant from china, and thats why china at least entertained the idea

edit wiki says born in china

i'm sure he has canada citizenship, but thats not where hes from
you're right. he was born in Harbin, China and moved to Canada at 5 years old. usually Deadline gets their shit right.

• 1Garbage

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Did you clock the Warriors poster in his apartment?
Oh damn, no I totally missed it. My brain says I caught it but my memory says otherwise; pretty sure I mentally checked out during the whole bedroom sequence. I'd give this movie a second watch just to see that alone lol.. but imma wait til I can get it free. I did see the Kungfu Hustle poster. Saw a lot of love letter moments toward Hong Kong cinema throughout the film. I didn't realize Yuen Wah was in it, or that Brad Allan was the stunt coordinator til the In Memory.

spronk

FPS noob
Shang Chi will drop on Disney+ free for all subs on Nov 12th

Nov 12th is "Disney+" day and its expected a lot of big announcements on the 2022/2023 schedule will take place, like new MCU and Star Wars TV shows.

spronk

FPS noob
1080p bluray rips of Shang Chi are out, i'd assume 4K UHDs follow in a few hours. Movie is on Disney+ in 3 days free for all subs. Disney is also announcing IMAX format movies on D+ the same day, wonder if Shang Chi does that (no clue what cameras it was filmed on)

Weirdly AMC is cutting its own throat celebrating Disney+ day in 3 days as well, offering $5 disney movies in theaters

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
1080p bluray rips of Shang Chi are out, i'd assume 4K UHDs follow in a few hours. Movie is on Disney+ in 3 days free for all subs. Disney is also announcing IMAX format movies on D+ the same day, wonder if Shang Chi does that (no clue what cameras it was filmed on)

Weirdly AMC is cutting its own throat celebrating Disney+ day in 3 days as well, offering $5 disney movies in theaters

i had already forgotten about this movie, i guess i can check it out now.

spronk

FPS noob
theatrical and imax versions are up on D+ now

saw it today, meh. Not horrible, but not really a MCU movie either. It was a decent Jet Li/Ip Man/chinese kung fu movie with an insane CGI budget that jammed in some MCU references on the sides. Awkwafina was so goddamn awful with her harpy voice, how the fuck does she keep getting cast in movies.

my interest in MCU movies keeps dropping every time, I'm not really sure which I like more Black Widow or Shang Chi but both are extremely mediocre and bottom tier MCU movies. Super predictable, lead character had no charisma, his younger sister looked way older than him, and the dad was a talking plot device, not a real character.

i guess if you've seen every MCU movie might as well watch it, but honestly at this point stopping at Avengers EndGame is the best choice.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
theatrical and imax versions are up on D+ now

saw it today, meh. Not horrible, but not really a MCU movie either. It was a decent Jet Li/Ip Man/chinese kung fu movie with an insane CGI budget that jammed in some MCU references on the sides. Awkwafina was so goddamn awful with her harpy voice, how the fuck does she keep getting cast in movies.

my interest in MCU movies keeps dropping every time, I'm not really sure which I like more Black Widow or Shang Chi but both are extremely mediocre and bottom tier MCU movies. Super predictable, lead character had no charisma, his younger sister looked way older than him, and the dad was a talking plot device, not a real character.

i guess if you've seen every MCU movie might as well watch it, but honestly at this point stopping at Avengers EndGame is the best choice.
Yeah watched it tonight on the Imax version. I agree that it was not really a superhero movie. For what it was, a martial arts movie, I enjoyed it. Not great, not terrible. Fight scenes were good.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
I watched it again for the first time since the initial release. I still enjoyed it for what it is, but I admit that I like martial arts movies in general more than a lot of people so it kind of is what it is. I've always kind of enjoyed that the MCU has kind of incorporated genre movies into the mix.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I enjoyed it. It was very much a wirework-style kung fu movie and that was okay. Loved Sir Ben Kingsley as always and never can get enough Michelle Yeoh.

I did keep wondering 'isnt Dr Strange supposed to be taking care of shit like this...'