Shaving

Whats the proper cleaning method for handles? Mine is still pretty clean, but a bit gunky and probably tarnished in spots. Usually I just wash with soap and water, but is there a better, more preferred way?
I buy a lot of used ones on Ebay and by far the best thing to clean them with is Original Scrubbing Bubbles. Takes off all the grime and shit and doesnt fuck up the finish.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have a Merkur (i use) and a Gilette from like 1936.. i really want to clean the Gilette. Something felt weird about using a handle that so many dudes had used. Sort of like if you had sex with Ravenn, I imagine the feeling would be the same. Same chance of AIDs too I believe.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just use 99% isopropyl alcohol to clean and disinfect.

EDIT: You can also use Brasso if your Gillette is tarnished. I would use Brasso to wipe the tarnish off, use 99% isopropyl to disinfect, and then use soapy hot water for final rinse.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That'll work.

Used the Taylor's avocado shaving cream today. Felt so nice going from Gilette can stuff back to the real stuff. Smells decent, I actually think I prefer the Taylor's lavender one (does that make me girly?) but both are good. I think I need new blades, felt like the derby's were pulling at my hair rather than cutting it. Need something sharper I guess.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
That'll work.

Used the Taylor's avocado shaving cream today. Felt so nice going from Gilette can stuff back to the real stuff. Smells decent, I actually think I prefer the Taylor's lavender one (does that make me girly?) but both are good. I think I need new blades, felt like the derby's were pulling at my hair rather than cutting it. Need something sharper I guess.
Don't think so, I used D.R. Harris Arlington for years until we visited London and the D.R. Harris shop and I got to smell the Lavender. Been using it for about a year now and really like it.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
It looks like my shaving soap is going to be running out in the next few weeks. I'm really excited to try a new variety. I'm probably going to go with that razor rock one that was mentioned a couple times on the first page of this thread, unless anyone else has other suggestions.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
That'll work.

Meh, who cares what smell pleases your sense of smell? Not everyone wants to smell like dog piss, nor does anyone need to smell like dog piss to be "masculine."

lurker

Vyemm Raider
It looks like my shaving soap is going to be running out in the next few weeks. I'm really excited to try a new variety. I'm probably going to go with that razor rock one that was mentioned a couple times on the first page of this thread, unless anyone else has other suggestions.
Have you tried this?

Cella

I bowl lather and if you do, use lots of water with this one. It smells like almonds and produces a rich, thick lather. It's been around forever with good reason.

Eric

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I use a lavender shaving cream and aftershave lotion, I would describe the smell a masculine smell, definitely not feminine at all.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah, I mean don't get me wrong the Avocado smells good (and not like Avocado at all), but the Lavender was just perfect. Fiance loves the smell too, that's always good. She also loves the Aqua Velva after shave I use, so she could just like old man smell.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
i really want to clean the Gilette. Something felt weird about using a handle that so many dudes had used.
I wonder how many people have tried using that razor to shave their balls or crotchital region in the past. There's a nice thought for you.

just used my merkur 1904 for the first time cleaning up my beard this morning, im in love. im so happy with this purchase.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Also, I recently got a huge pimple on my chin. Thought I'd be a boss and just shave right over it and instead I took the whole thing clean off. Now it's been scarred for a week and hurts like fuck. Worst idea ever.
I'd recommend getting a prescription of Cleocin (Clindamycin) 1% topical ointment (30g or 60g) and using it nightly postshave. Your skin'll look healthy and if you nick yourself, it'll heal overnight since it's a topical antibiotic.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just shaved with a feather blade for the first time. God damn, I've been missing out this whole time. Astraswerenice, but after feather, it's just ok. I will gladly pay double for my blades for feather.

My safety razor can now compete with my straight razor for smoothness... and without all the hassle.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I need to try some feathers I think. Derbys are good, but yet I don't feel they are getting the smoothness I desire.. and I really don't want to do the 4-pass thing a lot of guys do (once in each direction).

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Generally 2 pass plus buff will get your face pretty smooth. I've tried 3 full passes with a safety razor and my face feels too raw so it's not worth it. I feel old saying this, but feelingnothingis great. I'd rather live with some hair than have my face feel like burning everytime I shave.