Shaving

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Went to CVS it was fuckin 24 bucks for a 10 pack of Gillette Sensor Excel. Fuck that. Snagged this, plus a brush and dish.

Amazon.com: Parker 99R - Long Handle SUPER HEAVYWEIGHT Butterfly Open Double Edge Safety Razor Personal Care
Grab a sampler pack of razor blades from Amazon also. Get like 5-10 different brands to try. Some will absolutely maul your face, some will work great, and everyones different. No one can give you accurate advice on which brand of blade will work best for you

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I upgraded to feather blades. So much better than Derby.

Also, I was having trouble shaving once a day, I was seeing a lot of in-grown hairs, bumps, etc. I was recommended this product to apply 2x a day and the shit cleared up within a week. It's semi-painful and the smell... yikes... but it worked.

Generally I apply it after I shave and then again when I go to bed.

Amazon.com: Tend Skin The Skin Care Solution For Unsightly Razor Burns, Ingrown Hair And Razor Burns, 8-Ounce Bottle: Health Personal Care

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
After doing my initial 16-variety sample pack of razors I finally settled on Astra blades. I ordered 100 of them for something absurd like 10 bucks. It's so great to not be spending $15-$20 every month, at a minimum, on stupid, overpriced cartridges. This thread changed my life. Thank you, Rerolled.

Remit_sl

shitlord
After doing my initial 16-variety sample pack of razors I finally settled on Astra blades. I ordered 100 of them for something absurd like 10 bucks. It's so great to not be spending $15-$20 every month, at a minimum, on stupid, overpriced cartridges. This thread changed my life. Thank you, Rerolled.
Did you try feather as well? Ive read good reviews on Feather and Astra, but I ordered feather and was less than impressed. I mean they are better than Derby's, but I must have some thick ass hairs or something. Another problem is probably that I only shave every 4-5 days, but I wont be changing that ever unless I have to go back to a real job at some point.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Real men use Feather.

Everyone's face is different and personally if I only shaved once every 5 days I'm not even sure a Feather would feel great. Generally I have to do some maintenance during the week whether it is a quick electric pass or another blade pass in the middle (outside of shaving every morning due to customer stuff).

Also if you really find that you're having a difficult time with multiple blade types you may want to consider either a different shave soap or the method that you lather.

McCheese

Did you try feather as well? Ive read good reviews on Feather and Astra, but I ordered feather and was less than impressed. I mean they are better than Derby's, but I must have some thick ass hairs or something. Another problem is probably that I only shave every 4-5 days, but I wont be changing that ever unless I have to go back to a real job at some point.
Yep, I tried Feather and it just didn't work for me. I have extremely thick, coarse hairs, sometimes even 2 growing out of one follicle like some kind of hair-hydra. Derby, Feather, Astra, several variations of Gillette and Bic were in my sampler and for whatever reason I found Astra to give me the smoothest and most comfortable shave.

I wish I could go 4 - 5 days without shaving, but I'd have a mini beard at that point. Right now I shave every other day and even that wouldn't keep me presentable enough for a service/retail job. I'm lucky I work in an office where no one gives a shit. Being hairy sucks.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Feathers didn't work for me either. The first shave was smooth, but the next wasn't and the third was awful. Astras were better but now I'm using these

Crystals AKA Israeli Personnas

I shave everyday and I can go almost a week with one blade.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
I decided to try Dollar Shave Club. Went with the $6/month plan that gets you 4 4-bladed razors a month. I have no complaints. I also tried their shave butter and really like it.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
I decided to try Dollar Shave Club. Went with the $6/month plan that gets you 4 4-bladed razors a month. I have no complaints. I also tried their shave butter and really like it.
I concur, and for the extra $3 I upgraded to the executive and dont worry about paying big money to the man anymore.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Used my safety razor for the 1st time. Weird. You pretty much can't put any pressure on your face. Need to let the razor do it's thing. Doing my goatee you pretty much need to go by feel to get the lines straight and correct. The head of the razor hides the view in the mirror. BUT I can say it is a great shave overall.

I'm going to grab the starter pack for razors and see which one I like best.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah definitely let the razor do the work. Also the motion or 'pull' should come from the elbow and not wrist, if that makes sense. You keep it perpendicular with the face rather than rotating the head. Probably explaining that poorly but it helped me get a better and faster shave.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
$9/ month is nothing to be proud of. I spend less than that a year for razor blades. Stop buying that disposable shit and get one of these:

RazoRock TTO Safety Razor

You'll get a better shave, too.
My subscription is every other month which makes it out to be $4.50 a month. I have looked into safety razors however I want a quick fast shave in the morning and don't want to waste my time. A safety razor needs a little more fineness.

I also have tuff/thick skin so it doesn't really matter what type of blade I use as long as they are not the cheap disposable ones.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I tried dollar shave club when they first started and found the 4-blade razors quite a bit less effective than regular Mach3 blades. That was, of course, several years ago. Does anyone know if their razor quality improved since they first started? I know they are supplied by Doreco USA and was very interested trying the 6-blade model.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
I tried dollar shave club when they first started and found the 4-blade razors quite a bit less effective than regular Mach3 blades. That was, of course, several years ago. Does anyone know if their razor quality improved since they first started? I know they are supplied by Doreco USA and was very interested trying the 6-blade model.
I didn't care much for the 4 blade either, however I did upgrade to the 6 blade-Executive model and feel its a much closer shave.

McCheese

I just can't imagine a 6-blade razor! I used to get irritation with the 3-bladed Mach cartridges, and the 5-bladed Gillette's practically butchered my face. I guess you guys are just blessed with tough skin and I'm cursed with sensitive, soft, girly skin.