Shawlitics: The Return of Shawcial Capital

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
listening to the No Agenda Podcast right now and Curry is talking about the phone again, says the guys doing the NA Phone are swamped with orders, so even if you order now, you might be waiting a while

I'm about to hop on bike and have the podcast queue'd up. I used to read John C Dvorark when I was a kid and read all the computer magazines!

I have ProtonMail all setup. Imported my entire gmail account which is fantastic. My strategy is basically anytime a company I actually do business with emails me I will go there and update my email address. I have gmail setup to forward to my protonmail account. And will use the gmail account for spam websites etc. Hopefully in a year just delete the whole gmail account.

Also...

I use Outlook for business/work email addresses through Microsoft 365. I was able to setup protonmail in there through the bridge they supply. And that then let me import all my gmail becuase gmail was already imported into protonmail. Nice!

The only downside I've found is that for my iPhone, I have to use the protonmail app for protonmail, and outlook for my other stuff, so two email apps. This is because there is no iOS bridge for protonmail, yet.

Very glad to be moving away from Google. Just will be a slow process because, like you, we have 17 years or whatever of email history there.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I'm about to hop on bike and have the podcast queue'd up. I used to read John C Dvorark when I was a kid and read all the computer magazines!

I have ProtonMail all setup. Imported my entire gmail account which is fantastic. My strategy is basically anytime a company I actually do business with emails me I will go there and update my email address. I have gmail setup to forward to my protonmail account. And will use the gmail account for spam websites etc. Hopefully in a year just delete the whole gmail account.

Also...

I use Outlook for business/work email addresses through Microsoft 365. I was able to setup protonmail in there through the bridge they supply. And that then let me import all my gmail becuase gmail was already imported into protonmail. Nice!

The only downside I've found is that for my iPhone, I have to use the protonmail app for protonmail, and outlook for my other stuff, so two email apps. This is because there is no iOS bridge for protonmail, yet.

Very glad to be moving away from Google. Just will be a slow process because, like you, we have 17 years or whatever of email history there.

Curry is pretty based, Dvorak is his skeptical reality check, kind of a Scully to his Mulder. But Dvorak hates the MSM and wokeness too, he just doesnt give a shit about any of the Qanon stuff while Curry mildly dabbles in it. My wife turned me on to them when we started dating 3 years ago and I've been a regular listener right off the bat.

Solid strategy for Proton/Gmail after the migration, that basically what Im doing minus the auto forwards. I just pop into my gmail acct once a day to see what emails I got and then go to their site and update the email if I want to keep getting them, and then deleting them out of the gmail acct afterwards

The only downside so far is the mobile app. For Android, the Proton app is sluggish. You can definitely tell the difference in speed between gmail app and proton app. Its significant enough that it can be frustrating.

BTW, I tested a bunch of Maps apps over the weekend, I decided not to go with the one I originally suggested. I went with HERE WEGo ‎HERE WeGo - City navigation
You can download map packs for the countries (and states you want) to be able to use the app completely offline. The map packs are somewhat reasonable in size, the map pack for the entire state of California was 500 mb.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I am going to look into proton-mail. The only gmail I have ever had was college email accounts. My email has been with Bellsouth, now AT&T, now Yahoo etc for literal decades. I "trust" the telecoms "slightly" more than I trust Big Tech. My phone is a Samsung so getting off Android is probably not a thing in the near future. I tend to use Outlook, and of Big Tech Microsoft is the one I dislike least. I honestly think their time in the DOJ apple barrel back in the 80's taught them the lesson that current Big Tech hasn't learned yet.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I am going to look into proton-mail. The only gmail I have ever had was college email accounts. My email has been with Bellsouth, now AT&T, now Yahoo etc for literal decades. I "trust" the telecoms "slightly" more than I trust Big Tech. My phone is a Samsung so getting off Android is probably not a thing in the near future. I tend to use Outlook, and of Big Tech Microsoft is the one I dislike least. I honestly think their time in the DOJ apple barrel back in the 80's taught them the lesson that current Big Tech hasn't learned yet.

Even if you dont switch your email, just moving over to Brave browser and DuckDuckGo as your default search engine is already a huge blow to them, they cant track you effectively to display ads without Chrome and if you're not using Google search, they cant serve you ads. Google derives 99% of their revenue from ads on Google Search.

I get that the main goal is your own privacy, but those 2 small changes already make a huge impact. Ive been using DDG for a couple years on and off and there really hasnt been time where it failed me enough that I had to switch to a different SE. Its a solid SE.

Now I just need to find a replacement for Youtube, thats the hard part. I watch a lot of educational content and documentaries. I guess I could set up a special Youtube ad blocker.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Even if you dont switch your email, just moving over to Brave browser and DuckDuckGo as your default search engine is already a huge blow to them, they cant track you effectively to display ads without Chrome and if you're not using Google search, they cant serve you ads. Google derives 99% of their revenue from ads on Google Search.

I get that the main goal is your own privacy, but those 2 small changes already make a huge impact. Ive been using DDG for a couple years on and off and there really hasnt been time where it failed me enough that I had to switch to a different SE. Its a solid SE.

Now I just need to find a replacement for Youtube, thats the hard part. I watch a lot of educational content and documentaries. I guess I could set up a special Youtube ad blocker.
I never use Google search. Ever. I despise them on the whole.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

There is a Youtube replacement. I think it is Rumble. Dan Bongino is part owner or some such. I havent done much with it because I rarely touch Youtube.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
There is a Youtube replacement. I think it is Rumble. Dan Bongino is part owner or some such. I havent done much with it because I rarely touch Youtube.

I tried Rumble this past weekend, theres practically no content for science or history documentaries. I did 3 broad searches, didnt find anything good

For example, did a search for "roman history", got 40 results, 0 documentaries or relevant longform (30+ minutes) videos

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I tried Rumble this past weekend, theres practically no content for science or history documentaries. I did 3 broad searches, didnt find anything good

For example, did a search for "roman history", got 40 results, 0 documentaries or relevant longform (30+ minutes) videos
How is it as a platform though?

joz123

Potato del Grande
Oh ty man.
I forgot to only infer stuff, not really mean mean it.
Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
They're coming for you.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Burnem Wizfyre Burnem Wizfyre

ddg.png
\

DDG doesnt have a browser, but they have a "Privacy Essentials" browser extension that can go on just about any browser. Is that whay you're referring to?Anyways, look in the options of the extension itself, it should be there

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So i upgraded to the paid protonmail and added the VPN. Figure I will play around setting it up this weekend.