Shazam! (2019)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
The rock was also the bad guy ( edit: turned into a bad guy ) in that Doom movie. . . . I think if I remember right.

I saw that one in the cinemas and haven't re-watched or even seen reference to it since.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The rock was also the bad guy ( edit: turned into a bad guy ) in that Doom movie. . . . I think if I remember right.

I saw that one in the cinemas and haven't re-watched or even seen reference to it since.
You re right.
He had evil genes or something lol

Last edited:

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

even The Rock himself admits Doom sucks

Siliconemelons

Doom was stupid fun - the fact they went 1st person like the game and had judge dread make faces like the game UI was perfect.

I should watch it tonight on Netflix or whaever

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I feel similar to most in this thread in that the live action DC movies just suck shit through a straw. It’s weird too because they can make some decent animated movies, but the failures in charge can not translate them into live action. The best movie they have done in the last few years was Wonder Woman and that was mostly because Gal Gadot was a good casting choice and hot as fuck. The plot in that movie was garbage and throwing Captain Kirk in just made it dumber. I expect this movie to completely shit the bed which means it will be a pleasant surprise if it doesn’t.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I liked Christopher Nolan's three batman movies. Those have been the best DC has had to offer. Wonder Woman was pretty good but no where close to a lot of the Marvel movies. Shazam looks fun but if comedy is the only way DC can do well, then DC will not do well.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
From the company that brought us Batman Forever and Batman & Robin, the delight we experienced from the Dark Knight trilogy (at least TDK alone), we should have known to be short-lived. It's a shame, because it seems it would be simple to make something awesome, as mentioned, given the success of pretty much all of their animated movies.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
If only a partnership could be created that gave Marvel license to make live action films using DC properties, and DC any/all rights to animation. It'd be a license to print money

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
The best DC had to offer was done in 1978 or 1989, take your pick. :p

Superman II, the second Nolan Batman movie and Wonder Woman were also pretty good.

I can't think of any other DC move that was anywhere close to as good as those above.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
People who think the original Superman movies were good are muddled by classic rose tinted glasses. They aren't that good in retrospect, including Superman 2. It's simple stage performance, while great, is all it has. The 89 Batman I can still watch, and even with its cheese is still a very enjoyable watch with a very low proclivity for "this is stupid, and the effects are dumb". I'm a huge Superman fanboi, and I still don't have much fondness for any of the original films. Though I do have a special appreciation for red krypyonite (synthetic green krypyonite) Superman getting drunk and flicking peanuts, then getting tossed into a grinder when fighting Clark Kent.

It makes me think people of a certain age, and their appreciation for films from the 70's and 80's without the concept of modern films, like Jaws, which is a great film, but when you go back and watch it today (I literally did a few days ago), the flighty thematic music (outside the thematic duh-duh track), cheesy grim character portrayals, it's very light and not so serious given serious threats. Like much of Spielberg, the fun was the point.

Much of modern DC films lack any significance where fun is concerned, and how they mold that into a serious narrative. So maybe folks of a certain age, myself and the masses included, are seeing that lack of cohesion.

• 2Dislike
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Have you ever watched Faster? If you haven't, watch Faster. His emotional range in that movie starts at "pissed off" and goes to "super duper pissed off get the fuck out of his way because he's trying to kill motherfuckers". He's literally out for revenge the entire movie, from start to finish. It is one of my favorite Rock movies.

Its the movie that converted me to a fanboy. It's an awesome revenge flick.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
People who think the original Superman movies were good are muddled by classic rose tinted glasses. They aren't that good in retrospect, including Superman 2. It's simple stage performance, while great, is all it has. The 89 Batman I can still watch, and even with its cheese is still a very enjoyable watch with a very low proclivity for "this is stupid, and the effects are dumb". I'm a huge Superman fanboi, and I still don't have much fondness for any of the original films. Though I do have a special appreciation for red krypyonite (synthetic green krypyonite) Superman getting drunk and flicking peanuts, then getting tossed into a grinder when fighting Clark Kent.

It makes me think people of a certain age, and their appreciation for films from the 70's and 80's without the concept of modern films, like Jaws, which is a great film, but when you go back and watch it today (I literally did a few days ago), the flighty thematic music (outside the thematic duh-duh track), cheesy grim character portrayals, it's very light and not so serious given serious threats. Like much of Spielberg, the fun was the point.

Much of modern DC films lack any significance where fun is concerned, and how they mold that into a serious narrative. So maybe folks of a certain age, myself and the masses included, are seeing that lack of cohesion.

I say that despite your points about the Superman movies or Batman the Movie, that they're STILL better than most of the DC movies, however you wanna analyze it.
YMMV, I suppose.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I say that despite your points about the Superman movies or Batman the Movie, that they're STILL better than most of the DC movies, however you wanna analyze it.
YMMV, I suppose.
Not that I disagree, but seeing the color of Margot Kidder's bra color doesn't make it a good movie. Just that it fits with the standing quality of all that has come out of the WB studios.

• 1WTF

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Saw teh trailer today. I was a huge Chuck fan so I hope this does good for him.

• 1Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I feel similar to most in this thread in that the live action DC movies just suck shit through a straw. It’s weird too because they can make some decent animated movies, but the failures in charge can not translate them into live action. The best movie they have done in the last few years was Wonder Woman and that was mostly because Gal Gadot was a good casting choice and hot as fuck. The plot in that movie was garbage and throwing Captain Kirk in just made it dumber. I expect this movie to completely shit the bed which means it will be a pleasant surprise if it doesn’t.

Animated Universe is done by huge comic book fans that work in the film/animation industry. The regular films are done by huge directors who have maybe read some of the more famous Comics from each of the characters.

Check out the contrast between that and Marvel's directors, which were mostly kind of even niche/weird (Favereu, Whedon), or unknowns (Russo Brothers), who are massive Comic book nerds and often directly attribute their desire to make movies to the comics and stories of their youth.

The fact is that when a director really loves the character, it comes through in small ways that add up to a lot. The only one who I think ever broke this rule for me was Nolan with Batman. Nolan was not a huge Batman nut, but the guy is such a fucking ridiculously good director and Batman is such a grounded character in his most basic form (No powers, pretty elemental motivation ect), that it worked. But people like Snyder? Are just not good enough to do that with, and characters that are more "weird", like even Superman? Also won't work with.