Should you tip the waitress and how much thread

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Where the fuck do you manage a restaurant and get Friday and Saturday nights off? I've worked at about 50 places and every single one the GM and KM were basically fucking 80 hour a week slaves to the owner/corporate. Really kills your supposed credibility to hear that.

Dis

Confirmed Male
Kitchen work is one of the most stressful jobs you can have. Waiting tables is not. It isn't even comparable. You'd have to work in a kitchen for longer than six months to understand, but it really is absolutely ridiculous what your average cook has to put up with on a daily/nightly basis in comparison to almost any other job out there. It requires a certain type of person with a specific type of personality to willingly work in that environment and enjoy it. The average mexican cook(no offense, shitloads of those out there!) is doing it because rarely does criminal background or legality to work take precedence over the ability to put up with the sheer amount of shit that is dealt with on a daily basis in the average kitchen.

After doing it for years, I had to see how the coin was from the other side. Not even close, especially in the recompense area. If I didn't already know how servers work and understand that money sent "to the chef" meant "to the waiter's pocket" I would tip at least 50% most nights, because the guys/lesbians in the kitchen are working 10x harder than most people in the world for barely above minimum wage. On the other hand, I know they get fucked (especially in SoCal) and that if I gave them money, it would be manhandled by management if they even let me in the back to make the drop in the first place. I carry clout locally but not quite that much.

If cooks received a baseline tip percentage in every restaurant, it would go a long way towards rectifying the issue. But they don't (in my experience) and even if I make my servers tip the cooks a %, they will -always- undercut their sales and tip payouts before making that percentage. I've never gone back to a place with shitty food and great service, but I sure as shit have gone back to places with great food and shitty service. I'm not sure how other states handle this, but I know in Cali the cooks make absolute shit in comparison to the waiters, and that makes absolutely no goddamn sense to me. I can't change it, so I try to make it as easy on my cooks/lesbians as I can. A man can only do so much, however.
LOL what the fuck restaurant are you working at? I had to tip out based on a percentage of my sales (this went to the bussers, food runners, and bartenders). I never had to tip out based on what my word was. Jesus age christ bro. Stop working at Joe's food stop, and try working at some real restaurants. No one said working as a cook does not suck balls compared to a waiter, but that is like saying shoveling shit for a living sucks balls compared to the guy who has to clean the bathroom. Waiting tables SUCKS, it a fucking terrible job, anyone in the restaurant industry will agree with me on this. The only people who make money working in the food industry are upper management, and chefs. Everyone else is replaceable and paid like it.

Dis

Confirmed Male
Where the fuck do you manage a restaurant and get Friday and Saturday nights off? I've worked at about 50 places and every single one the GM and KM were basically fucking 80 hour a week slaves to the owner/corporate. Really kills your supposed credibility to hear that.
Was thinking the same, since you know, most of the gross comes in on a Friday and Saturday night. Any restaurant worth a shit has the GM running the line, along with the manager in the kitchen and the quite a few front end managers. Never had a manager who never worked Friday's and Saturday's.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Friday/Saturday morning managers are generally completely different than the night managers. Our GM came in in the mornings, he was also our sommelier. We had the "grunt" managers during the nights, unless there was a big party. If you're one of the bigger managers, especially the one who makes the schedule, you're getting paid salary and not having to worry about the stress of working the busiest nights.

What restaurants are you working at Dis? Having worked at some of the better ones in my city, Rezz's experiences are right on. It's a sucky job, but it requires little to no education, and those assholes lie all the time about their tips.

If you're not lying, and actually doing work, hats off to you, because that is not your average server.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He's probably front of house only for the breakfast shift or some bullshit.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Friday/Saturday morning managers are generally completely different than the night managers. Our GM came in in the mornings, he was also our sommelier. We had the "grunt" managers during the nights, unless there was a big party. If you're one of the bigger managers, especially the one who makes the schedule, you're getting paid salary and not having to worry about the stress of working the busiest nights.

What restaurants are you working at Dis? Having worked at some of the better ones in my city, Rezz's experiences are right on. It's a sucky job, but it requires little to no education, and those assholes lie all the time about their tips.

If you're not lying, and actually doing work, hats off to you, because that is not your average server.
So are you a chef or owner now, or did mommy and daddy treat you to a $70k worthless ass culinary school degree so you could follow your little heart on your stupid ass dream? Because aspiring to being a chef is like asking to be kicked in the balls, and we all think you have testicles at this point. Maybe owning a serious fine establishment is a credible goal, but its still a hell of a gamble to be a success. Even if you do make it you have a tough life of working your ass off constantly so you better love the fuck out of creating food for rich shitheads who lie to your face and secretly think you are no better than a gardener or a maid.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
So are you a chef or owner now, or did mommy and daddy treat you to a $70k worthless ass culinary school degree so you could follow your little heart on your stupid ass dream? Because aspiring to being a chef is like asking to be kicked in the balls, and we all think you have testicles at this point. Maybe owning a serious fine establishment is a credible goal, but its still a hell of a gamble to be a success.
I'm neither, i couldn't cut it stress-wise. For the record, I worked a full time job in a restaurant making shit money, and paying my own way the entire time, my parents helped with nothing. My dream was to be a chef, and then to go on to journalism so that I could be a food editor while also working as a personal chef. Terrible troll. :p

The problem is that the industry sucks, and you have to put up with a lot of bullshit before you can be a credible success. Humorously, I work in the video game industry now despite having a culinary arts degree, and moonlight only for friends as a personal chef.

I love cooking, always have. I'm just not down with the atmosphere or the ridiculous climb. Working in the same city as my chefs was a bonus though; any time I felt like I was about to buckle their cynical asses came to the rescue.

Edit: Saw your edit, and that's the crux of the issue. A fine chef is a wonderful thing, and making people happy just with food was something I loved. The presentation, the taste, the experience. I had high aspirations originally; I had a fully fleshed out restaurant idea if I decided I wanted to do that over a personal chef gig, but it gets rough. Chefs are artists, but as you say, we're treated little better than maids a vast majority of the time. I'm achef, not a cook, but no one would recognize the difference.

In the end, the industry bothered me, and I wasn't willing to commit my entire life to being disappointed. I'm happy where I am at in life, and I cook for friends and family who go gaga over my creations. So that works.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hot big titted bitch in stiletto heels who is a master chef and works in the video game industry. I could have sworn you've talked about your wife and other shit back on FoH that made it blatantly clear you were male despite the screen name.

Dis

Confirmed Male

We should have like run down for people not following posts. I worked in restuarants awhile back. I worked at Pappa's chain (mainly Pappasito's and Pappaduex) for a little over two years where I was averaging around $35-40 PPA. It was good money. The other restaurants where few shit chains (like Olive Garden) and few high end one off restaurants but I ended my restaurant career working at Pappa's. It was a job to take me through college nothing more. Now I am a IT Director for a Fortune 500 money (there I got my Fortune reference in) and make good money doing so. Our GM worked at the Pappasito's store always worked the whole entire day, from prep, to taking stock of the food and what is needing to be ordered, to running the line at rush of the weekend nights. He generally took off when it died down around 1030ish depending. He made six figures+, so I did not feel sorry for him in the slightest.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Hot big titted bitch in stiletto heels who is a master chef and works in the video game industry. I could have sworn you've talked about your wife and other shit back on FoH that made it blatantly clear you were male despite the screen name.
Woahh, I never said anything except the stilettos, because that was what was required of my hostessing job. (And even then I got away with flats as often as I could.)

I'm not a master chef; that takes an exceedingly long time to become that and legitimate tests to get the title. I'm just a chef, because I went to school, and because I can cook well and know that food is more than just the taste.

As far as wife, I don't think I've ever said anything like that. I'm not married.
tongue.png

My life is what it is, lol. My mother had me young, so i grew up with my uncles in the house, transferring a love of sports and video games.

@ Dis: I worked at a non chain; it was financed by some of the big names in the city, (Well big names I guess if you follow the socialites.)

We had a legitimate executive chef and sous chef; our GM was our sommelier and we had 3 other managers. Two of them tended to work the night shift, while the non GM worked lunch shift and the GM worked lunch on the weekends. If he came in at night, it was generally to play sommelier to a big party.

Our servers were POS; not all of them, but there were some that excelled at making a bad situation worse. Because we had extensive wine lists (Our restaurant was based around the Sonoma county area in Cali, so wine and a fusion type of cuisine) a server who upsold a bottle of wine was probably making bank. Not many people went to that restaurant not to spend money. I guess to put it in perspective, we often rented out our big room to sports teams that were in town - I usually got called in when the Pens were there, and if they came in in small clusters I was often made to work as a server since the hostesses were dressed better than normal servers. (I'm nothing crazy, but one of our other servers was a contestant for Miss Pennsylvania, and she was fucking gorgeous.)

Rezz's experiences are more spot on with mine, if the restaurant tends to be a singular thing, not a chain. YMMV, but I grew to hate servers in my time spent at the front of the house and then later at the back. You don't sound like those I've worked with, which is refreshing, but I'm surprised you haven't seen it first hand. It can get brutal.

Woahh, I never said anything except the stilettos, because that was what was required of my hostessing job. (And even then I got away with flats as often as I could.)

I'm not a master chef; that takes an exceedingly long time to become that and legitimate tests to get the title. I'm just a chef, because I went to school, and because I can cook well and know that food is more than just the taste.

As far as wife, I don't think I've ever said anything like that. I'm not married.
tongue.png

My life is what it is, lol. My mother had me young, so i grew up with my uncles in the house, transferring a love of sports and video games.

@ Dis: I worked at a non chain; it was financed by some of the big names in the city, (Well big names I guess if you follow the socialites.)

We had a legitimate executive chef and sous chef; our GM was our sommelier and we had 3 other managers. Two of them tended to work the night shift, while the non GM worked lunch shift and the GM worked lunch on the weekends. If he came in at night, it was generally to play sommelier to a big party.

Our servers were POS; not all of them, but there were some that excelled at making a bad situation worse. Because we had extensive wine lists (Our restaurant was based around the Sonoma county area in Cali, so wine and a fusion type of cuisine) a server who upsold a bottle of wine was probably making bank. Not many people went to that restaurant not to spend money.

Rezz's experiences are more spot on with mine, if the restaurant tends to be a singular thing, not a chain. YMMV, but I grew to hate servers in my time spent at the front of the house and then later at the back. You don't sound like those I've worked with, which is refreshing, but I'm surprised you haven't seen it first hand. It can get brutal.
yFTPD1d.jpg

Dis

Confirmed Male

tongue.png

Our servers were POS; not all of them, but there were some that excelled at making a bad situation worse. Because we had extensive wine lists (Our restaurant was based around the Sonoma county area in Cali, so wine and a fusion type of cuisine) a server who upsold a bottle of wine was probably making bank. Not many people went to that restaurant not to spend money. I guess to put it in perspective, we often rented out our big room to sports teams that were in town - I usually got called in when the Pens were there, and if they came in in small clusters I was often made to work as a server since the hostesses were dressed better than normal servers. (I'm nothing crazy, but one of our other servers was a contestant for Miss Pennsylvania, and she was fucking gorgeous.)

Yea I briefly worked at a restaurant that was owned (at least in part) by the executive chef. The drive was out of the way from where I lived, and while the food pricing was higher, the amount of traffic the restaurant had was inconsistent. This was right before I went to work at Pappasito's, which was relatively close to home, close to the same PPA, turnover of tables were faster, and it was hella busy compared to that place (as all Pappa's restaurants tend to be).

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
Like someone else said earlier, while I tip pizza delivery guys, it's tough to feel good about it. Not because the person delivering it sucks, but because the pizza joints now charge delivery fees. Delivery fees suck. HARD. I see no purpose to them other than to bend us over and ram it home.

And LadyVex, if you were inclined to prove you're not a tranny, I think that I am the most qualified here to justify female worthiness. Send me a pic. If you've got a vajayjay, I'll proclaim it from on-high.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Like someone else said earlier, while I tip pizza delivery guys, it's tough to feel good about it. Not because the person delivering it sucks, but because the pizza joints now charge delivery fees. Delivery fees suck. HARD. I see no purpose to them other than to bend us over and ram it home.

And LadyVex, if you were inclined to prove you're not a tranny, I think that I am the most qualified here to justify female worthiness. Send me a pic. If you've got a vajayjay, I'll proclaim it from on-high.
There's absolutely no one I would trust more to confirm it! But tranny, chick or guy, it won't really change my experience with this board, except that if I talk about life experiences, people will start just envisioning me tucking. (Which I could care less about.)

I'll let you know if I need a professional though!

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
he's from San Francisco, so it's a pretty safe bet we have a tranny on our hands.

wasn't Evelys from San Fran? might just be an alt account... we're going to have to do a full on audit here.