Should you tip the waitress and how much thread

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Tipping culture sucks not because it's an obligation. It sucks because it turns customers into service judges rather than doing what they came to do: enjoy a night out. In Korea, no one checked on us. When we wanted something, we waved someone down. Sometimes we got up to ask because no one was around. No one bitched about shitty service. It was no effort. In fact it was easier, because the guessing game is out. When the customer wants something, they ask. In the US it's considered rude to wave down a server, and then the server feels bad for not anticipating the needs well enough.

Many customers enjoy the game of tipping while verbally admonishing it because it gives them power. "I can make/ruin your night with my tip." All of you who mention any kind of "you better do xyz if you want a good tip from me," you have that attitude because you love that power of being the one to judge. It has nothing to do with anything else.

Tipping culture is stupid not for the reasons people describe. It's stupid because the purpose of going out is to enjoy food and drinks and be social. People in America now treat it as either a game of power or demand the server/food to improve the shitty experience of being themselves and the boring or asshole people around them.

When I was a server, the fun gregarious people who brought their own fun ALWAYS tipped well, and the unfun/awkward/insecure/miserable people usually tipped poorly. Because fun gregarious people aren't concerned with the service judgment game, because they have more important things going on, like having fun.

Passable trannys probably make bank as waitresses, they have cleavage and can carry the heavy trays better than a real girl. And have little problem blowing the manager for the best shifts.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Every GM I've known had to be able to do any front of the house job at the drop of a hat. The good ones at least knew how to prep on the fly too, if not full on cooking when needed. That's really more the KM's backup role but many of them are on the line full time anyway.

Majority of places I worked were privately owned. Fucking hated corporate joints. I had a few dickhole owners but for the most part if you showed up and worked hard I found that restaurant owners treated you damn near like family. Which makes sense because to work in that industry feels like you live there with your coworkers.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Every GM I've known had to be able to do any front of the house job at the drop of a hat. The good ones at least knew how to prep on the fly too, if not full on cooking when needed. That's really more the KM's backup role but many of them are on the line full time anyway.

Majority of places I worked were privately owned. Fucking hated corporate joints. I had a few dickhole owners but for the most part if you showed up and worked hard I found that restaurant owners treated you damn near like family. Which makes sense because to work in that industry feels like you live there with your coworkers.
You're totally right, and in my case our GM was part owner - he had a vested interest in actually coming in if needed. (And as a I mentioned, he did if people wanted the personal sommelier touch) Our GM never cooked however; the executive chef owned the place, and kept a tight rein on the kitchen. We did however, have the executive, then an assistant, then either the KM or the sous chef were always on duty.

They didn't treat us like family though; I felt like our executive chef was a bit pretentious, and while he came off as a nice guy, in reality he wasn't really that awesome. And I felt like I was constantly there. (Which I was, even getting called in.)

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When I say like family I don't really mean that we loved and respected each other. More like they watched out for you and took an interest in what you had going on and would help your personal issues if they could.

One family I worked for the most had three places. The first one I worked at the owner's wife basically ran it so he could do the other two. Everyone loved her and some of the real long timers called her mom. One year this trashy seasonal girl comes and works there. She's there a few months, goes to "mom" and cries that she needs an abortion. She worked out a deal to loan her like $500 bucks that she could work off in small payments out of her check. Next day after getting the money the girl skips town for the west coast. Piece of shit. After that the owners didn't do as many favors unless it was a long time employee.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
The grocery store near my house now has baggers with a huge sign above them saying they work *only* for tips. Bagging your own stuff comes off as rude, but I just don't tip for anything but restaurants. I have to go to the grocery store*, but I don't have to eat out. At least that's my rational.

I also laugh at tip jars next to every cash register these days. You're so cute!

*unless I'm some survivalist nut who lives off the land :p

Dis

Confirmed Male
WTF? Never seen that yet. And baggers working for tips would get told "I got it." That's even more ridiculous to me.
I tip baggers if they take the groceries to the car. Super rare as fuck if that happens though.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ok how about housekeeping at hotels? I generally don't but I've left some random singles before if I know I'm staying more than one night and will be letting them in the room. Often on multiple nights I'll just leave my do not disturb sign up and just reuse towels and have my own toiletries. You could probably leave those bitches half a pack of smokes and make their day though. You think food service has a seedy underbelly? Housekeeping is full of fucking crackheads.

Valet parking I avoid whenever possible but those mother fuckers are slow and rude and dumb as fuck so fuck them. Doormen/bellhops? That shit annoys me too, I have like one bag and I'm alone, fuck off are you blind?

That stuff and really servers in general are holdovers from a different time. A time when fine dining was an exclusive thing and tipping truly was done to reward levels of service and expertise. Now every upper middle class plumber with a McMansion and an SUV goes to eat every weekend at shitpile cookie cutter corporate places with pictures on the menu. So tipping table service has expanded to the masses and we see the results.

Tea_sl

shitlord
Ok how about housekeeping at hotels? I generally don't but I've left some random singles before if I know I'm staying more than one night and will be letting them in the room. Often on multiple nights I'll just leave my do not disturb sign up and just reuse towels and have my own toiletries. You could probably leave those bitches half a pack of smokes and make their day though. You think food service has a seedy underbelly? Housekeeping is full of fucking crackheads.
My wife and I have been in a hotel since November for her job, and we leave $10 when we let them in to clean every other week. Extended stays are mostly the only time I'm going to tip housekeeping though, since like you I normally don't bother with them at all.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Unless I'm at the hotel for more than a week, I never let them in. Just feels weird to have strangers in my living space, however temporary it might be. I tip however, if they come in at all, mostly as a deterrent not to jack any of my shit, although I take all of my valuables with me.

No drive ins or over the counter shit generally either. In fact, a few of the places I accidentally got people in trouble, when I asked how much people would get tipped. The managers would go uh, they're not supposed to have a tip jar!

The one place that I always tip however are two pizza places in PA. Original Police Station Pizza in Ambridge, PA and D&G in Beaver Falls. It's the same type of pizza, although D&G I think is better. Anyways, it's one of square pizzas with the fluffy type of crust, and you go in, tell them what toppings you want by slice, and they do it all in their head and give you the total. I've never seen them mess up an order or an amount. It's delicious pizza, and both places have fucking amazing employees; they are never open on Sundays for example, but they opened and gave everyone discounts all day sunday until the superbowl started so people could get pizza. Often I'll take a 20+ with me, buy whatever I need and give them whatever I have leftover - which is often $10+.

That is, however, what everyone has said previously. You tip for places you love, good service etc, to make sure they stay in business and you appreciate them. Both places make you feel awesome, like they truly appreciate you. I lived by one of them at a period in time and they knew me and the orders I placed and would have it ready immediately. Great places. Shit, I want that pizza now. Curse you San fran.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Where the fuck do you manage a restaurant and get Friday and Saturday nights off? I've worked at about 50 places and every single one the GM and KM were basically fucking 80 hour a week slaves to the owner/corporate. Really kills your supposed credibility to hear that.
I work "banquet" nights, which are tuesday/thursday where I work and then sun/mon/wed standard evening shifts. Parties of 100+ usually, so they need the "Heavy" there with 2-3 of those size debacles in the building at once. The owners prefer to manage weekend nights as they are more freeform and I am certainly not about to argue with them as it doesn't affect my pay and I've never had weekends off in 14 years. Can't say much more than that. *shrug* You can take my word for it or not, it doesn't really matter.

And there's more than one position of restaurant manager in most places. GM, Front of house, Kitchen Manager/Head Chef (sometimes separate) and occasionally a Bar manager if the place is big enough. I'm a combo front/bar manager. Not the GM. That guy? Doesn't get days off really. I just herd the shee.. er, waitstaff and bartenders. Like I spent most of today doing!

You guys can go back to pretending I don't know what I'm talking about, though.