Should you tip the waitress and how much thread

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
11.99 * 1.2 = 14.19? Tip the waiter because their boss is obviously an idiot.
Gratuity is before tax now you can use your grade school math skills to calculate the sales tax rate they paid. Ah who am I kidding I'll do it for you.

The bill was for $11.00 and they paid a sales tax rate of 9% for a total of $11.99 add $2.20 for the 20% tip and new total is $14.19 just like the dumb boss said. Now get back out there and wait on the tables and leave the thinking to others.

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
Depends on the state. In VA you cannot refuse to pay the automatic tip if its printed on the menu in plain site. ( Most restaurants print it at the bottom of every page of the menu to make sure people see it) Such as for parties of 6 or more in most restaurants. Even if they ask for separate checks the system knows the table had 6 or more and automatically adds it on.

Every time I ever had someone try to get the automatic tip removed they lost and paid it, or the police were called and they lost and paid anyway. Most of the restaurants here do not go by the line "The customer is always right" because they know here the customer is usually full of it and trying to get a free meal.

Triangular_sl

shitlord
worked as a server for awhile and noticed that some large party tables don't leave any tips. we allocated 80% of our dining staff to those tables and spent generous amount of time trying to service them whenever possible. Well, all that shit work for nothing. jackasses pay no tips, no matter what, especially if it is a large table because the tip would be extra large. white trash will never pay you a dime. I think automatic gratuity is justified in this case but I think this would piss off some people who would otherwise pay more if there was no automatic gratuity.

I always assume, if served with adequate service, you deserve 15% because of the shit waitress wages.

I also noticed that some waitress are complete bitches when it comes to tip. we had a table of three and it was a reunion dinner. Our father gets served pretty diligently and gets most of the attention while rest of us are left in the cold feet. We had to ask her couple times for refill. Complete shit and shit attitude. We are not kids at this point. By the end of our meal, I could literally see her peaking over us as we were discussing the tip. My father, being an idiot, left a large tip because he had no change and she comes over to hug him. So, I guess she would've said shit things behind our back if we left her no tip.

Tip brings out the worst in people, I think, especially from the insecure servers. The system does not encourage professionalism and encourage sucking dick whenever they can.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Depends on the state. In VA you cannot refuse to pay the automatic tip if its printed on the menu in plain site. ( Most restaurants print it at the bottom of every page of the menu to make sure people see it) Such as for parties of 6 or more in most restaurants. Even if they ask for separate checks the system knows the table had 6 or more and automatically adds it on.

Every time I ever had someone try to get the automatic tip removed they lost and paid it, or the police were called and they lost and paid anyway. Most of the restaurants here do not go by the line "The customer is always right" because they know here the customer is usually full of it and trying to get a free meal.
I'm curious if you worked in a chain restaurant. Mom and Pop places might stick to their guns on not removing a gratuity, but almost all chain restaurants will do whatever the fuck a customer asks them to do because the people at that location don't want corporate to come down on them. Even if the law technically says they don't have to remove the gratuity, most chain restaurants will simply because it's less hassle and keeps corporate out of the picture.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
worked as a server for awhile and noticed that some large party tables don't leave any tips. we allocated 80% of our dining staff to those tables and spent generous amount of time trying to service them whenever possible. Well, all that shit work for nothing.
Tip brings out the worst in people, I think, especially from the insecure servers. The system does not encourage professionalism and encourage sucking dick whenever they can.
Ahahahaha

Triangular_sl

shitlord
holy shit. LOL. that sounds funny because it got cropped.

no pressure though. experienced servers aren't offended by no tip. just stress. kind of expected some tables don't leave any tips.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
No issues with automatic gratuity for large parties considering all it takes is one fucking jew paying for the whole ticket to negate service to the rest of the party.

Johnny53

Vyemm Raider
No issues with automatic gratuity for large parties considering all it takes is one fucking jew paying for the whole ticket to negate service to the rest of the party.
when you say jew....is that a nationality based comment or a stereotype that could apply to non-jewish people also

Flank_sl

shitlord
Gratuity is before tax now you can use your grade school math skills to calculate the sales tax rate they paid. Ah who am I kidding I'll do it for you.

The bill was for $11.00 and they paid a sales tax rate of 9% for a total of $11.99 add $2.20 for the 20% tip and new total is $14.19 just like the dumb boss said. Now get back out there and wait on the tables and leave the thinking to others.
Meh, I am not from America, so I would not know that gratuity is before sales tax or that you do not have sales tax shown on the bill. I also would not of known that it was only 9%. Sales tax is 20% here and a bill will always show the amount before tax and the amount of tax to be paid. Also, we do not have gratuity as we do not really tip.

I also have no idea what grade school is.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Why would anyone remove a gratuity instead of just comping a menu item though?
Because customers are stubborn idiots and they will bitch and moan until their exact request is fulfulled. It's far easier to simply remove the gratuity (which is the exact request of the customer) than to comp a menu item and then risk the stupid customer not understanding that it's basically working out the same way.

Also, at least as far as the chain restaurant I worked in, every manager comp was recorded by the computer and reported to corporate. While I'm sure a certain amount of comping is allowed, corporate doesn't want to see tons of free stuff given away and a manager doesn't want corporate coming around asking questions about why such-and-such was comped.

Fun semi-related fact: If you ever want to get a server fired or royally screw him or her, go to a Darden restaurant (Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Long Horn) and sneak out on your check. The standard protocol at those restaurants (and probably other chains, too) is the server has 2 choices: 1) pay for the amount of the check or 2) get fired.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tipping bothers me. I worked in a restaurant for my first job and saw the crazy money you make.

But the part that bothers me is when you look at how much effort it took to serve you in the amount of time they did. Let's say you tip 20% on a $30 bill. It's pretty rare that you'll be at a restaurant for longer than an hour. So you're effectively paying them $6 an hour. It's alsohighlyunlikely you're their only table. So multiply that by a few tables and you realize how retarded tipping 20% is. Even if they're splitting with the rest of the staff, they're making a ridiculous hourly wage.

"But wait," you'll say, "they work shitty hours and are lucky to be able to work 30 hours a week!" Not my problem. In fact, that just means they can get a second job, and still be working less hours overall than most of us do.
Someone else making more money than you is really getting to you, yes?

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Meh, I am not from America, so I would not know that gratuity is before sales tax ..

I also have no idea what grade school is.
Fuck, I've been DoingItWrong, always used the final post-tax amount to calculate tips. This thread is actually saving me $$$$, thanks!

As for grade school, depending where in America you are, it's where we send our younger kids to learn that Jesus founded our country, and put all the animals on our 500 year old planet!

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What do you tip when you're at a restaurant with a "2 for 1" or similar coupon? Say you order two Pizzas for $15 each, and only have to pay one? The staff still has the same work as if you had to pay both, do you do the "proper" thing and base the tip on the original price or do you base it on the actual price?

I order food at work whenever I can't actually take a break and I'm stuck there. I tip $4 standard for my delivery order every time. I may order between $10-20 worth of food (lunch and dinner). That's between 20-40% an I think that's reasonable. If I ordered for the whole office and It's $100, I think $8-12 is pretty good too.
I'm more paying for the service of delivery rather than tipping based on the cost of the order.

That being said, when I'm sitting down at a restaurant I like to keep a mental tally of all the negatives and positives. Starting base is 15% and each negative or positive lowers or raises the percentage (after taxes).

Each glass of water refilled is a +1%
Checking in on the table +1%
Positive attitude +1%
Giving a good recommendation on food +1%
BJ under the table +2%
Boxing the finished food for me +1%

Leaving the table waiting too long to order -1%
Not refilling a water glass -1%
Screwing up an order -2%
Rude/Poor Attitude -3%
Not Swallowing -2%
Taking a plate before I'm finished -1%