Should you tip the waitress and how much thread

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&type=1&ref=nf

544263_10151302463553091_74879742_n.png

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I order food at work whenever I can't actually take a break and I'm stuck there. I tip $4 standard for my delivery order every time. I may order between $10-20 worth of food (lunch and dinner). That's between 20-40% an I think that's reasonable. If I ordered for the whole office and It's $100, I think $8-12 is pretty good too.
I'm more paying for the service of delivery rather than tipping based on the cost of the order.

That being said, when I'm sitting down at a restaurant I like to keep a mental tally of all the negatives and positives. Starting base is 15% and each negative or positive lowers or raises the percentage (after taxes).

Each glass of water refilled is a +1%
Checking in on the table +1%
Positive attitude +1%
Giving a good recommendation on food +1%
BJ under the table +2%
Boxing the finished food for me +1%

Leaving the table waiting too long to order -1%
Not refilling a water glass -1%
Screwing up an order -2%
Rude/Poor Attitude -3%
Not Swallowing -2%
Taking a plate before I'm finished -1%
Throwing away my food and not asking if I want it boxed-1%
Lolwut? Do you have have a card with you to keep track of all that?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I order food at work whenever I can't actually take a break and I'm stuck there. I tip $4 standard for my delivery order every time. I may order between $10-20 worth of food (lunch and dinner). That's between 20-40% an I think that's reasonable. If I ordered for the whole office and It's $100, I think $8-12 is pretty good too.
I'm more paying for the service of delivery rather than tipping based on the cost of the order.

That being said, when I'm sitting down at a restaurant I like to keep a mental tally of all the negatives and positives. Starting base is 15% and each negative or positive lowers or raises the percentage (after taxes).

Positive attitude +1%
BJ under the table +2%

Screwing up an order -2%
Rude/Poor Attitude -3%
Not Swallowing -2%
Reminds me of 3rd Rock from the Sun. Dacianprick must be an alien.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1ZZWhSvOMI

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I love more how "BJ under the table" only earns his waiter an extra 2%, which based on those mean prices would mean around 20-40 cents...

Dis

Confirmed Male

Positive attitude +1%
BJ under the table +2%

Screwing up an order -2%
Rude/Poor Attitude -3%
Not Swallowing -2%
You are an idiot if you let your waiter box up your food at anything other than a HIGH END restaurant. Lord help your food if you let someone box your food at a chain restaurant. It does not even have to be your waiter, it can be some other prick waiter that does a "drive by leftover food grab". Seriously what do you think I am going to do, tell you some jackass ate your food and go through the hassle of having you pissed off, possibly taking some of my tip away from me? Meanwhile I am pissing off my manager by having them have to remake your entire meal over again with possible comps involved, and pissing off the prick waiter who ate some of your food because I dropped a dime on them. No thanks, path of least resistance. I am going to box your shit up with a smile and tell you to come back and see us again soon!

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
I worked in several chain restaurants over close to 20 years, Cracker Barrel, Denny's, Apple Bee's, Damon's, TGI Fridays, Ruby Tuesdays, and a few "mom and pop". Worked as a bus boy before I was 18, to server, bartender in my 20's to management in my 30's. The law is the law and if corporate ever tried to give us crap (when I was in management) I simply told them the law again and again and they would drop it after about 15 minutes on the phone. Never had any other manager over turn it that I can ever remember.

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
I love dumbass pictures like this. Funny how people who work at Red Lobster, Olive Garden, and other restaurants that aren't making as much lately bitch about less hours, but then spew this crap about don't come in if you can't tip. Newsflash all you waiters out there. If people don't come in regardless of the amount they tip, you are out of a job, and no you are not qualified to get a job that makes nearly as much as being a waiter who gets tips does, because waiters making double or triple what every other un-educated lazy bastard makes is bull!

Also as a point of reference. My girlfriend works at Old Country Buffet (you pay before you even eat, so you can't tip with a credit card) makes on average 50-120$ a night in tips depending on the night, and all she does is clean up after the people. She was going to be a CNA and actually got her license (3 month class with a big test at the end), but after obtaining said license she got hired at Old Country and figured she'd give it a shot only to find out that instead of making $10.00 an hour as a CNA (literally bathing people and cleaning up their shit) she makes nearly double that as a pseudo waitress. She actually pulled in $990.00 for the previous week (hourly wage + tips) and once you calculate in the tax burden on tips (way less since you only report about 10-25% of them) she's making more than quite a few people with BA/BS degrees.

So until one of you fuckers out there serving tables can explain why someone writing down a few orders on a piece of paper and bringing it out to you is worth more than someone literally wiping your own ass daily, you can go ahead and get your fucking head out of the clouds. All jobs suck, just because you have to deal with customers like 99% of the other jobs out there doesn't mean you "deserve" a tip.....

Some of you may also find this quote slightly interesting found
Federal Wage & Hour Division_sl said:
that the tip credit claimed by the employer cannot exceed the amount of tips actually received by the tipped employee;
here.In other words, you can't pay someone $2.15 an hour and then send them home after a nine hour shift with $19.35 in their pocket even though they received zero in tips. You must make up the difference so that they are at the minimum wage level of their state. The fact of the matter is nobody knows this rule, because it never happens which further proves that all these waiters out there are just bitching because they want more money just like every other person on this planet!

For any doubters please see thislink.

Insomnia_sl

shitlord
bro I know works in one of the high end resturants in Cleveland, dunno the name but its owned by one of these Chefs on TV. He pulls in almost as much as I do sometimes in a week and I make $30/hr. Now obviously thats one of his best weeks and admits he wont come close to that number more than once every 5-7 weeks. But on average makes about $350-450 a week, not bad for just writing food down and bringing it to the people. I have a friend who works a shitty foundry job for like 10-12hrs a day and only brings in like $450 a week all the time and is pretty much topped out on the companys pay scale.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Yea, like I said earlier in the thread, you can really make bank waiting tables depending on the place.

Any place with a wine list with a dedicated sommelier, or even a waiter who is good at advising/suggesting wine will make a good bit of money. I keep seeing more and more of the images up above and I am just dumbfounded. Servers aren't making the food, they aren't magicking up the god damn menu, they aren't taking wine classes, (most of the time), they need SHIT ALL in education - all they have to do is punch in a few buttons on the computer that correspond with your order and then bring it out to you.

I am at a loss as to why I need to pay them a minimum amount when what I am paying them for is their god damn service to begin with. THAT is your job title; your shit includes being polite, not fucking up my order, making sure I have enough napkins, refreshing my drink etc. If you can't, then you are worthless.

And yea, you have to make up the money if you don't get tipped enough, though I've seen that so rarely.

Can you tell I'm bitter? I'm bitter. I hateddddd the industry. =(

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
We need a chart that determines how much you're supposed to make for each job, and if you make more than that you should be despised and spit upon.

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
We need a chart that determines how much you're supposed to make for each job, and if you make more than that you should be despised and spit upon.
Hardly. I'm just so sick of seeing all these posts by waiters on Facebook, or wherever about how someone didn't tip them. Why is it that a Walmart employee doesn't get any tips ever, and actually isn't even allowed to accept them (just as CNA's aren't allowed to accept them) yet when they go out to dinner (likely a rare event for them) if they don't tip their waiter is going to think they're a "cheap piece of shit" as the picture states. They make less than the waiter! It's ridiculous...

Johnny53

Vyemm Raider
if you want to go out and eat without tipping......McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, Arby's, Wendy's, Five Guys Burgers, Chik-Fil-A......

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
if you want to go out and eat without tipping......McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, Arby's, Wendy's, Five Guys Burgers, Chik-Fil-A......
Right... So if Mr. Walmart finally gets a date to a girl he's attracted to, he should promptly run her over to the local KFC and buy her a bucket of chicken because he doesn't want to tip the guy who makes more than he does! Thank you for clarifying sir.

I'm honestly curious, what makes you actually believe waiters are entitled to anymore than a fast food employee? You don't think it gets annoying taking orders 24x7 and pounding out burgers over a hot grill?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I tip 20% pretty much all the time, so long as the service was at least passable. If I'm paying with cash I'll just round up to the nearest 5 or 10 generally, so long as that's at least 20%. So I'm not a cheap fuck or anything.

However I think the whole concept of tipping is pretty ridiculous. Go to Japan, Australia, New Zealand or most of Europe where tipping is NOT the norm. You'll receive service every bit as good, if not better, than what you're used to in North America. Alberta is a black fucking hole of customer service for the most part, the service in most bars and restaurants is horrendous because of extremely low unemployment and it being hard to find good people. And yet we're still expected to pay 15-20% on top of the bill? It's ridiculous.

As far as pay goes, frankly, that's not my concern as a customer. I don't give a fuck if the waiter is making $3/hour or $15/hour. That's between him and his employer. It shouldn't be my job as a customer to top up an employees' wages. Only in North America in the service industry is this expected. I don't give a fuck if some tables are harder to serve than others. Some of my clients are a lot harder to deal with than others, and that's just a cost of doing business. Deal with it. If tipping was done away with, suddenly bars and restaurants would have a hard time finding people to work in their establishments. Tough shit, pay your people more then. Leave me the fuck out of it. And no, I don't give a fuck if that hurts business owners, because it's going to hurt them all equally. Raise your prices to pay for your true costs of running your business, instead of expecting your customers to subsidize your employees.

But as I said initially, I realize that they system isn't set up that way, and just take the path of least resistance and pay my ~20%. That doesn't mean it's a completely idiotic system. And yes, it is ludicrous that people with no education working 30 hours a week (Thursday-Sunday nights) at a decent restaurant or bar can make 40-60k a year, the majority of it tax free. That's not jealousy, that's just a statement of fact.

Johnny53

Vyemm Raider
Right... So if Mr. Walmart finally gets a date to a girl he's attracted to, he should promptly run her over to the local KFC and buy her a bucket of chicken because he doesn't want to tip the guy who makes more than he does! Thank you for clarifying sir.

I'm honestly curious, what makes you actually believe waiters are entitled to anymore than a fast food employee? You don't think it gets annoying taking orders 24x7 and pounding out burgers over a hot grill?
their wages are minimum wage paid by the big corporations....waiters are paid lees than minimum wage

i've actully done both....when i was a waiter at an upscale seafood restaurant....( not a chain ), a young black couple came in....blacks are notoriously lousy tippers....anyway the bill came to 49.95 he gave me fifty and waited for his nickle.....i pursued them to the parking lot and explained that i make my living on tips....he asked how much he should tip, offered me $10....i told him $5 was enough...but when i went back inside the restaurant...the manager started yelling at me...meanwhile my fellow waitstaffers...cheered my ballsiness

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
we just went to a restaurant and they used some sort of smart phone + maestro card reader for payment. We couldn't have possibly tipped more than 20%, the program doesn't go higher than that.