Should you tip the waitress and how much thread

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I think it's starting to infiltrate some parts of Europe, but more like 5-10% (or whatever it is rounded up to the nearest 5 or 10).

Definitely still not cool in Japan. We took a cab back to our hotel from Roppongi one night, was about $45 bucks or so. One of the guys in the back seat dropped a 50 yen (cent) coin on the seat accidentally. The cab driver couldn't speak English, but lost his shit trying to get the guy's attention so he wouldn't leave his 50 cents behind.

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
their wages are minimum wage paid by the big corporations....waiters are paid lees than minimum wage

i've actully done both....when i was a waiter at an upscale seafood restaurant....( not a chain ), a young black couple came in....blacks are notoriously lousy tippers....anyway the bill came to 49.95 he gave me fifty and waited for his nickle.....i pursued them to the parking lot and explained that i make my living on tips....he asked how much he should tip, offered me $10....i told him $5 was enough...but when i went back inside the restaurant...the manager started yelling at me...meanwhile my fellow waitstaffers...cheered my ballsiness
I bet you busted your ass waiting on those two cheap ass American Inventors didn't you??? Grow up... You are the exact kind of person that makes me disgusted. So what someone didn't tip. I wager you still made enough to be above minimum wage, and this is of course neglecting the fact that even if you didn't (as referred to in my initial post) your employer must make up the difference.

You don't deserve a tip, service should not be decided by some stereotypical feature (such as skin color), and even if all blacks NEVER tipped, they should still get just as good service as the guy that tips you $100.00. I honestly wish corporate America would butcher this profession and make it a minimum wage job just like all the other shitty service level positions out there. Then we could get the service we expect regardless of whatever stereotypical bullshit the server thinks, and ultimately end up with the same out of pocket costs.

Just one last point I want to add. How the hell do you know that couple wasn't in poverty? Blacks have the highest poverty rates, and maybe he was taking his wife out for their five, ten, or whatever year anniversary that he could BARLEY afford. So you in all your courage, big Mr. Boss ran out there, and ridiculed him. Congratulations! You are an inspiration to uneducated pricks who bring people food everywhere! You should be proud.

Johnny53

Vyemm Raider
I bet you busted your ass waiting on those two cheap ass American Inventors didn't you??? Grow up... You are the exact kind of person that makes me disgusted. So what someone didn't tip. I wager you still made enough to be above minimum wage, and this is of course neglecting the fact that even if you didn't (as referred to in my initial post) your employer must make up the difference.

You don't deserve a tip, service should not be decided by some stereotypical feature (such as skin color), and even if all blacks NEVER tipped, they should still get just as good service as the guy that tips you $100.00. I honestly wish corporate America would butcher this profession and make it a minimum wage job just like all the other shitty service level positions out there. Then we could get the service we expect regardless of whatever stereotypical bullshit the server thinks, and ultimately end up with the same out of pocket costs.

Just one last point I want to add. How the hell do you know that couple wasn't in poverty? Blacks have the highest poverty rates, and maybe he was taking his wife out for their five, ten, or whatever year anniversary that he could BARLEY afford. So you in all your courage, big Mr. Boss ran out there, and ridiculed him. Congratulations! You are an inspiration to uneducated pricks who bring people food everywhere! You should be proud.
not ridiculed...educated....they were a young couple....dressed nicely, who could drop $50 on dinner...and this was over 20 years ago.....and when blacks came into the restaurant...we all prayed the hostess didn't seat them in our section, but they still got good service...even though we knew a poor tip was coming
( damn Lincoln....he should have found something better to do )

The Ancient_sl

shitlord

Are you black?

I only ask because I want to know if you are a shitty tipper or not.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
their wages are minimum wage paid by the big corporations....waiters are paid lees than minimum wage

i've actully done both....when i was a waiter at an upscale seafood restaurant....( not a chain ), a young black couple came in....blacks are notoriously lousy tippers....anyway the bill came to 49.95 he gave me fifty and waited for his nickle.....i pursued them to the parking lot and explained that i make my living on tips....he asked how much he should tip, offered me $10....i told him $5 was enough...but when i went back inside the restaurant...the manager started yelling at me...meanwhile my fellow waitstaffers...cheered my ballsiness
You're an asshole is what you are. You seriously pursued someone outside of the restaurant to hound them for money? What the fuck, man?

Tips are essentially a bonus that you get on every transaction. Do you think if I don't get a year-end bonus that I go following my boss out to the parking lot asking him why he stiffed me? No, I come in and do my fucking job every day regardless. I don't expect a bonus just for showing up and doing my job.

Johnny53

Vyemm Raider
You're an asshole is what you are. You seriously pursued someone outside of the restaurant to hound them for money? What the fuck, man?

Tips are essentially a bonus that you get on every transaction. Do you think if I don't get a year-end bonus that I go following my boss out to the parking lot asking him why he stiffed me? No, I come in and do my fucking job every day regardless. I don't expect a bonus just for showing up and doing my job.
bend over i will give you a tip...and more, bonus...really ? ....your stupidity has been revealed

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
Elurin is in California where servers actually get paid minimum wage.
I'm not black, and ALL servers get paid minimum wage if they don't make up the difference in tips.

You can tell Johnny49 got wrangled into the golden hand cuffs of being an 18 year old making $15.00 an hour and it has penalized him ever since. Even more justification for changing this stupid ass system. The fact that he still remembers being stiffed out of an at best $7.50 tip by normal standards just shows how utterly pathetic a servers life is.

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
You are too dumb to understand that
A) This never happens in practice.
B) By not tipping you are being subsidized by all the restaurant patrons who are.
I live in WA state, feel free to tell me again how I'm being subsidized when all servers are paid $9.19 an hour (highest in the country), and still bitch about tips... Also it doesn't happen in practice because they never make just $2.50 an hour. Almost every server regardless of how terrible they are makes up the extra $4 - $7 to compensate for the difference an hour. That and most servers are idiots, so they are unaware of their rights and the employer takes of advantage of that.

Johnny53

Vyemm Raider
I'm not black, and ALL servers get paid minimum wage if they don't make up the difference in tips.

You can tell Johnny49 got wrangled into the golden hand cuffs of being an 18 year old making $15.00 an hour and it has penalized him ever since. Even more justification for changing this stupid ass system. The fact that he still remembers being stiffed out of an at best $7.50 tip by normal standards just shows how utterly pathetic a servers life is.
i also remember, the 3 people who came in every week, sat in my section, looked poor as hell, but always left me $20, even enjoyed a dish of cajun alligator with them, oh yeah they were white

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Not tipping (without reason) is stupid, but chasing someone because they didn't tip is also really stupid. If you do this in a chain restaurant nowadays chances are you'll be fired if the manager/corporate get wind of it.

I waited tables in a shitty, mixed-income area with mostly blacks and Indians so I got no tip/shitty tips a lot. I never once complained about it or chased someone down. At most, if it was an extremely shitty cash tip (like $49.00 check, pay with $50.00 "keep the change") I'd give the money back to them, but I wouldn't say anything rude of obnoxious. Losing $10 - 20 dollars on a $100 - $150 night wasn't worth losing my job.

*Edit* I saw many ghetto servers get in screaming fights with ghetto customers about tip amounts. Guess who always won? There were some servers who I know for a fact rotated through all 5 - 6 chain restaurants in town because they kept getting fired after arguing with or chasing customers.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I live in WA state, feel free to tell me again how I'm being subsidized when all servers are paid $9.19 an hour (highest in the country), and still bitch about tips... Also it doesn't happen in practice because they never make just $2.50 an hour. Almost every server regardless of how terrible they are makes up the extra $4 - $7 to compensate for the difference an hour. That and most servers are idiots, so they are unaware of their rights and the employer takes of advantage of that.
If you are going to come into a discussion that's about wait staff salary in most of the country from the framework of an outlier state where servers make more base, you should state it at the start so that people can understand the difference.

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
i also remember, the 3 people who came in every week, sat in my section, looked poor as hell, but always left me $20, even enjoyed a dish of cajun alligator with them, oh yeah they were white
Once again dude. Good for you. You are completely missing the point. The fact of the matter is if servers were ALWAYS tipped 15% they would make more than 90% of this forum. If you actually think that's realistic, you need to get your head out of the clouds. There is a reason people fight for serving positions are virtually every restaurant, because it pays WAY more than any other position besides being the manager, or lead cook, and requires you to have absolutely no skills besides the ability to speak and listen. Amazing!

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I know a lot of people who make good money now and still dress like shit in their free time.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Once again dude. Good for you. You are completely missing the point. The fact of the matter is if servers were ALWAYS tipped 15% they would make more than 90% of this forum. If you actually think that's realistic, you need to get your head out of the clouds. There is a reason people fight for serving positions are virtually every restaurant, because it pays WAY more than any other position besides being the manager, or lead cook, and requires you to have absolutely no skills besides the ability to speak and listen. Amazing!
Whether it's this way in WA or CA I don't know, but I can tell you in the rest of the country wait staffing is not some prized position sought by all.

Johnny53

Vyemm Raider
Not tipping (without reason) is stupid, but chasing someone because they didn't tip is also really stupid. If you do this in a chain restaurant nowadays chances are you'll be fired if the manager/corporate get wind of it.

I waited tables in a shitty, mixed-income area with mostly blacks and Indians so I got no tip/shitty tips a lot. I never once complained about it or chased someone down. At most, if it was an extremely shitty cash tip (like $49.00 check, pay with $50.00 "keep the change") I'd give the money back to them, but I wouldn't say anything rude of obnoxious. Losing $10 - 20 dollars on a $100 - $150 night wasn't worth losing my job.
your right...except that for me is was a second job which if i was fired from didn't matter....which is why i was cheered by the other staffers, because i did what they wanted to do but were afraid, one night the owner was giving me shit...so i handed him my checks and said do the tables yourself....he was like "brother, brother don't leave...that greek prick ended up taking his life 4 years ago, as the economy took a shit and his restaurant failed......that same restaurant was where i had my first date with my wife, my sons grew up having friday night dinner there, until it closed 6 months ago