Should you tip the waitress and how much thread

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I tip those making 2.13 an hour generously depending on service (bare bones service makes 10%, if it was really, really good I'll tip as high as 40%).

Fuck everyone else. Seriously. Ok, delivery drivers maybe, but the fuck am I tipping you for? I already bought the food, bitch at your company because they aren't paying you enough. The more people say "you should tip these people!" you are just giving more ammo for companies to drive their wages down while you advocate "subsidizing" for them. The fuck is the deal paying $18 for a pizza that's $10. $4.50 delivery charge, $2.00 convieence charge, and the driver expects 2-3$.

I am also sick and fucking tired of tip jars at fast food places. They do nothing but take your order. And expect tips. The shit is that. And hotels. Fuuuuck that mess. I ordered room service once because my company paid for it but jesus christ. A $50 food bill ended up being almost double that with auto-28% gratuity + super high taxes + $6 delivery charge + expected additional 15% tip to delivery person.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't bother with those jars at carry out places except in extraordinary circumstances, they also make min wage or above anyway.

All those other situations are your fault. The delivery and convenience charges are shit but that's the company's fault. Stop buying from corporate pizza joints, or go pick the shit up. If you wanna sit on your fat ass and have fatass pizza delivered give the poor fuck a couple dollars.

Why the fuck would you ever order room service at a hotel? Isn't the company expensing you to eat at the place in person instead too? And if there's an "auto 28% gratuity" (28% wtf? really, once again why are you getting this room service from this rape hotel in the first fucking place then? I'm sure that was mentioned on the in-room menu.) then why do you feel there's an expected 15% tip? You understand that gratuity means tip? And the auto ones are on there to ensure that the person gets paid since cheap shits like in this thread will stiff room service staff otherwise because there's probably no one watching them do it like there would be at a dining table.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
People keep saying they'd just pay more as part of the menu price, but if that's just a different way of paying then why the fuck does it matter to you? It matters because you see it as a chance to NOT pay some amount of money since its not technically mandatory or theft, and by gosh it just burns some of you fuckheads up that its socially unacceptable to be your cheapskate self and stiff everyone.
No fuckhead, it's because the purpose of the tip wage is to benefit the employer, not the employee. It doesn't always work out like that of course, I dated a woman who pulled in a stupidly high "salary" as a waitress because she worked in a decent place and had ginormous tits. Regardless, the whole tip wage bullshit has a number of unnecessary negative side effects that only exist because of shitty industry lobbying. The whole thing is bullshit and I won't be a part of it.

It's like the diamond engagement ring shit - the lengths you guys will go to justify a part of our culture that exists to screw you is insane.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What negative side effects? And how does it screw ME if the price would be similar by passing it on via the menu costs instead? It benefits servers since they can make a decent wage more than what the employer would be willing or able to pay, and it benefits your cheap ass since you aren't required to do it an you just opt out like a dickhead. Profit margins in food service arerazor the fuck thin, they aren't laughing all the way to the bank with windfall profits thanks to their low waitstaff payroll. If anything, increasing the menu costs enough to cover server staff at competitive wages would price me right away from eating out, and fuck that I love eating out. But really, you are a pillar of morality, have fun stiffing the servers at T.G.I. Fridays when you get your burger and water, oh champion of the people.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I don't bother with those jars at carry out places except in extraordinary circumstances, they also make min wage or above anyway.
Yeah and they do a minimum wage job so.. lol

All those other situations are your fault. The delivery and convenience charges are shit but that's the company's fault. Stop buying from corporate pizza joints, or go pick the shit up. If you wanna sit on your fat ass and have fatass pizza delivered give the poor fuck a couple dollars.
Uhh, no. I order pizza like once in a blue moon, if I want to have it delivered then I get the fact there's a delivery charge. But the fact the company themselves say "Don't forget to tip your driver" makes me say fuck you. What the fuck is the delivery charge FOR.

Why the fuck would you ever order room service at a hotel? Isn't the company expensing you to eat at the place in person instead too? And if there's an "auto 28% gratuity" (28% wtf? really, once again why are you getting this room service from this rape hotel in the first fucking place then? I'm sure that was mentioned on the in-room menu.) then why do you feel there's an expected 15% tip? You understand that gratuity means tip? And the auto ones are on there to ensure that the person gets paid since cheap shits like in this thread will stiff room service staff otherwise because there's probably no one watching them do it like there would be at a dining table.
As I said, the company paid for it and specifically asked for us to order to the room (we had worked stupid late and nothing was open nor did any of us feel like going anywhere). I just found it absurd and extremely crazy the amount of money they charge for it on the already overpriced menu items. It's like a fucking sandwich is $29.

I wish they would just pay these people a decent wage, and build in the costs of that into the costs of the food on the menu. Yeah yeah, don't start saying "but then your service will be shit". Ok, fine, fire the fucking shitty workers? The $2.13 an hour workers are the only one I have sympathy for when tipping.

Not too difficult.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Uhh, no. I order pizza like once in a blue moon, if I want to have it delivered then I get the fact there's a delivery charge. But the fact the company themselves say "Don't forget to tip your driver" makes me say fuck you. What the fuck is the delivery charge FOR.

As I said, the company paid for it and specifically asked for us to order to the room (we had worked stupid late and nothing was open nor did any of us feel like going anywhere). I just found it absurd and extremely crazy the amount of money they charge for it on the already overpriced menu items. It's like a fucking sandwich is $29.
I'm with you on the pizza delivery charges, I don't know their justification since I'm not familiar with that industry but it annoys me. Nonetheless I pick up pizza the majority of the time that I buy it personally, plus I find its only the big chains like Domino's or Papa John's who do that shit anyway. The locally owned pizza joints are usually better food anyway, and its nice to support local people instead, and I don't find they tack on fees for delivery. The pizza itself is more expensive...but that's kind of the point I'm making here, you pay one way or another, I don't have a problem dropping a buck or two on the schmoe stuck delivering pies in the cold, rain or snow.

The room service thing, I figured that it might have been late, but room service is always highway robbery. You still got the main cost on your employer though, but I'd never tip extra with that amount of added gratuity. No reason for it.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I'd like to be able to continue to go to my favorite establishments and not be served by nasty ex-cons, so yeah I like giving them a livable middle class wage. Of course the kitchen is filled with other sorts, but I've worked restaurants and honestly sketchy kitchen workers aren't really spitting and ejaculating in your food, even if you're a dickhead. Your server is part of the atmosphere, you're paying for presentation in the building and the plate, you also pay for a certain quality of server.
Then it seems the management of the restaurant should use care when hiring their servers, yes? And if they want to maintain a certain standard of servers, perhaps they could... charge more for the food, which would bring a better class of server.

I'm not sure how all this works, but I heard somewhere that if you pay more, you get better people. I'm sure thats written down somewhere.

I think many of you live in some midwestern/southern flyover shitholes and Applebee's really is about the extent of your dining experience, which is part of the problem. That and cheapassedness. Probably the cheap thing more than anything. People keep saying they'd just pay more as part of the menu price, but if that's just a different way of paying then why the fuck does it matter to you? It matters because you see it as a chance to NOT pay some amount of money since its not technically mandatory or theft, and by gosh it just burns some of you fuckheads up that its socially unacceptable to be your cheapskate self and stiff everyone.
Because tips are discretionary, theoretically, but if you don't tip, you're an asshole. If the tips are expected, they aren't discretionary. My clients don't tip me for good legal advice. We charge them more because our firm does good work.

Restaurant management should just charge the initial meal whatever they want and the market in their segment will bear, and pay their servers a fixed wage. Tipping is utter bullshit in general.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
About the math thing someone taught me a long time ago its really simple...

Lets say your total is $15.89

So 10% is 1.58 right? (1.60 rounded) Simple

1/2 of that is roughly 80c (rounded)

So 15% is $1.60 +.80c= $2.40

Total 159.75

$16.0 x .5= $8
So $8+$16= $24 tip

But the way I handle tips is at lunch, they all get $2.00 Usually my lunches are between $10 and $15. For the dinner with family, I will do the maths.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
The service would be bad if there would be no tip is a pretty bad excuse. There's no tip in many other countries and the survice is just as good. If prices were increased to make up for it, then the wealth would be better shared between cooks and waiter, since you'd expect both to get a wage increase. As is the cooks get shafted for the work they do and the waiters can make some serious coins for unskilled labor.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
What negative side effects? And how does it screw ME if the price would be similar by passing it on via the menu costs instead? It benefits servers since they can make a decent wage more than what the employer would be willing or able to pay, and it benefits your cheap ass since you aren't required to do it an you just opt out like a dickhead. Profit margins in food service arerazor the fuck thin, they aren't laughing all the way to the bank with windfall profits thanks to their low waitstaff payroll. If anything, increasing the menu costs enough to cover server staff at competitive wages would price me right away from eating out, and fuck that I love eating out. But really, you are a pillar of morality, have fun stiffing the servers at T.G.I. Fridays when you get your burger and water, oh champion of the people.
What negative effects? Didn't you say you worked in a tipping job before? Let's see... not knowing if you'll make enough to pay bills, sometimes NOT making enough to pay bills, resentment between team members where tip sharing doesn't take place, lying about tip income to tip out less, untaxed income since a huge chunk isn't declared, losing your job due to your employer firing you for having to make up tip wages (if you don't get tipped enough), people not tipping and contributing to servers getting underpaid, restaurants get less business because people like me refuse to eat out, people overpaying for their meals because America and math don't go hand in hand, entitlement attitude from servers that result in horrible service (chasing people out into the parking lot, etc), turns otherwise normal people into raging cocksuckers thinking shit like "your service was good, but you have tattoos so fuck you less pay bitch!", the tipping expectation spreading out to every damn industry, etc etc.

Oh, and as I said dipshit, I don't eat out, so I don't deal with this tip bullshit. Unless you think I should tip when I go pick up my burritos from the Mexican place down the street, or when I go get my Murphy's Take N Bake, in which case fuck you. I also don't stick shit in the tip jar at the doughnut shop or the rare times I hit up Subway. Come at me bro! lol It's stupid, really. I work with the public - many many many non-tipping jobs do - from grocery store cashiers, painters, dry cleaners, lawyers, teachers, librarians, tech support - I mean the list just goes on and on. Does every damn person that interacts with the public need to be tipped? I neither expect it nor want it. Sometimes clients will bring in home baked foods (cookies and muffins usually) or even bottles of wine as thanks after we help them out of a pickle (even though since I mostly work from home I rarely see any of that ha) but it's not an expectation on our part, nor an obligation on theirs. THAT is what a tip is supposed to be - something someone gives you because they WANT to, as a thanks for going above and beyond (in their opinion).

And this whole notion of pricing food to pay real wages being a one way road to going out of business just boggles my mind. YOU ARE ALREADY PAYING THAT COST WHEN YOU TIP. And often more. How do you not understand this? I don't care what their margins are, it's all relative. Ratios - learn to math motherfucker.

This I need to quote again, because it's just... thanks for being so stupid bro =)

If anything, increasing the menu costs enough to cover server staff at competitive wages would price me right away from eating out, and fuck that I love eating out.
Do you even understand what you are saying here? No, I really doubt it.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Haha, sure, you're super worried about the servers not making enough money so you refuse to participate in tipping! All of your side effects are non existent bullshit rationalizations created by cheap fucks like yourself who rage against the idea of tipping. Have fun polishing your collection of pennies you tightwad antisocial fuckstick.

Yeah, I'm saying I'd rather put five bucks in some server's pocket to take to the bar that night than pay the same money to the owner so he can cut their hours and staff less on the floor which would result in shittier service times.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Why? That's more math, not less.
I don't do it to steer clear of math - I do it to keep budget math when there's dozens of transactions I do a day clean. It's easy for me to remember "I spent $20 at TGI Friday's (not that I ever go there...) for lunch" to add to my budget notes later whereas if it's a straight % tip or some other random assortment of numbers memorizing the number for hours until I jot it down is a bit more challenging.

I get upset when my books don't balance - and unrounded tipping amounts are usually the biggest problem with that for my balancing.

I'm definitely not math phobic though - I destroy math.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It is a basic human quality that doing nice things for people makes you feel great. Whether it is paying someone a compliment, giving them a just-because gift, or giving a wallet back to a stranger that drops it on the ground.

I think part of the problem with tipping is that it is a one-sided, fire and forget bit of generosity that rarely receives acknowledgement. It might sound ridiculous, but if servers had an opportunity to say,"thank you for your generous tip!"and the tipper got to say,"hey, you are great at your job", most people would actually look forward to tipping and servers might actually care. The world would be a better place.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Tax rates have obviously climbed continuously pretty much everywhere in the US, but if you're bad at math an easy way is to double the tax. Unless you've got a weird bill that has a bunch of non-taxable items, it is going to give you somewhere between a 16-20% tip nowadays. I'm not math challenged, but every female I know is, and that's what I tell them to do. And then round up to an even total to make it easy.

One other thing that always annoys me about cheapskates is, if the waiter/waitress cuts you some slack (or forgets) on something, like not charging you for that second drink or the dessert, I always figure the normal tip and then add the price of that item on top. Or at least most of it. You should have had to pay for it anyway, and your tip total is now less as well because that amount wasn't added in, so just pay for it in the tip. Sure, it is probably money out of the owner's pocket, but that's between the waitress and the owner, not me. Either the waitress knows they did you a solid and you rewarded them or they think you're just an awesome tipper, either way it makes you look good, and all you're doing is paying what you expected to pay when you ordered the item in the first place.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It is a basic human quality that doing nice things for people makes you feel great. Whether it is paying someone a compliment, giving them a just-because gift, or giving a wallet back to a stranger that drops it on the ground.

I think part of the problem with tipping is that it is a one-sided, fire and forget bit of generosity that rarely receives acknowledgement. It might sound ridiculous, but if servers had an opportunity to say,"thank you for your generous tip!"and the tipper got to say,"hey, you are great at your job", most people would actually look forward to tipping and servers might actually care. The world would be a better place.
That happens all the time, and its even more rewarding when you're a regular somewhere. Eventually they give you free stuff and deals because they know you aren't a miserable anti-tipping selfish shitbag. These cheapfucks won't ever find that out though because they are too busy calculating how many dollars to subtract off the tip if the server stumbles over a word or looks in their table's direction one too many times.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I'm with you on the pizza delivery charges, I don't know their justification since I'm not familiar with that industry but it annoys me. Nonetheless I pick up pizza the majority of the time that I buy it personally, plus I find its only the big chains like Domino's or Papa John's who do that shit anyway. The locally owned pizza joints are usually better food anyway, and its nice to support local people instead, and I don't find they tack on fees for delivery. The pizza itself is more expensive...but that's kind of the point I'm making here, you pay one way or another, I don't have a problem dropping a buck or two on the schmoe stuck delivering pies in the cold, rain or snow.

The room service thing, I figured that it might have been late, but room service is always highway robbery. You still got the main cost on your employer though, but I'd never tip extra with that amount of added gratuity. No reason for it.
Delivery charge is generally there because if a delivery driver gets into an accident, rather than going through the drivers insurance (assuming they are driving their own vehicle like most do for pizza) the accident "victims" try to sue the shit out of the restaurant assuming they have more money and will more likely settle. So as a pizza place you have to carry your own liability insurance for your drivers. The delivery charge is there to cover the extra insurance. In some cases some of the delivery charge might be kicked back to the employees to cover wear-and-tear on their vehicle, in some cases it might not and the employer expects a drivers tips to make up for it.

In all cases delivery drivers spend all of their delivery charge kickback and tip money on beer and then their car breaks down and they bitch that they can't afford to get it fixed because they aren't making a bunch of tips anymore.

spronk

FPS noob
everything in the world should be converted to tip system. everything in the world costs $1/hour, and you are expected to cover any shortfalls with a tip based on the level of service you got. it would be rad and a lot of people would die

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I really enjoy tipping. I like leaving big tips because I know it makes the person receiving it very happy. I get a lot of criticism from people I eat out with that I tip too much, but fuck it, it makes me feel good. When I worked in a restaurant and I got great tips, I think I cared more about the fact that they felt I did my job so well that I deserved that much moreso than the actual amount of money.