Should you tip the waitress and how much thread

spronk

FPS noob
to counter 200 years of oppression white people should be charged a minimum 50% tip on all food, black people should be charged 0% and have a line on their bill that says "a white person covered your tip". The govt automatically will give any food place a 10% tax credit on every black meal served, to make waiters love black people. Once the Govt has determined at least $100 billion in extra white money tips has been paid off, they can declare National Reparations day and racial equality has been reached

to support feminism and fight 100 years of oppressive men flaunting their privilege by paying for meals, women should be given a 20% surcharge on all served food, a man cannot pay this surtax. Once this amount reaches $100 billion sexism and rape culture will be declared over

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just saying, but again, it isn't 2 dollars an hour.
I thought we repeatedly read over the last few pages that's what the employer is paying them. They make more, but they only cost that much?

Not in all states, true.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
If their combined wages and tips don't add up to at leasr the minimum wage, the employer has to make up the difference. So there is a floor on what they can make, higher than the 2.13 figure.

Chesire_sl

shitlord
Rarely have I heard a tipped employee complain about a bad night . With out the "bad" night being well over the minimum wage . Perhaps it was all location ,location, location , mostly in the north east corridor.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
My issue I have with people who don't like to tip is that they feel like servers make too much money and they are either jealous or just plain angry. Waiting tables is not a minimum wage job. It's pretty difficult and labor intensive; it also requires a lot of mental acuity. You're combining the ability to multitask in the moment, the proper timing of all these tanks, dealing with the public, dealing inside a team, dealing with problems along the way all while running a few miles every night.

Not everyone can do it. I've seen plenty of people cry and breakdown in the middle of their first shift.

It's easily a $9-16 an hour job which is the range of what I made from a bad night to a decent night.

It's also one of the only jobs you can have as a younger person where busting your ass gets you more money instantly (assuming you work at a busy place).

Chesire_sl

shitlord
My issue I have with people who don't like to tip is that they feel like servers make too much money and they are either jealous or just plain angry. Waiting tables is not a minimum wage job. It's pretty difficult and labor intensive; it also requires a lot of mental acuity. You're combining the ability to multitask in the moment, the proper timing of all these tanks, dealing with the public, dealing inside a team, dealing with problems along the way all while running a few miles every night.

Not everyone can do it. I've seen plenty of people cry and breakdown in the middle of their first shift.

It's easily a $9-16 an hour job which is the range of what I made from a bad night to a decent night.

It's also one of the only jobs you can have as a younger person where busting your ass gets you more money instantly (assuming you work at a busy place).
It is also one of the only jobs where paying taxes on all income accrued beyond tipped employee wages is optional.
When the first robot worker fast food chains go in , I will definitely patronize them ).

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
It is also one of the only jobs where paying taxes on all income accrued beyond tipped employee wages is optional.
When the first robot worker fast food chains go in , I will definitely patronize them ).
I assure you, that is not the only profession where paying taxes on income is easily dodgable. Nearly every trade out there has people doing cash jobs on the side.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

For one, if you look at that TED talk video from a few pages back, waitresses can make anywhere from $20-$40/hr thats what they average in at. Thats pretty fucking good for a non skilled, non educated person if you ask me. This probably sways more to the fine dining type establishments, but nevertheless, no, I dont think that waitstaff is worth $20-$40 for what they do. Also a point that the Ted talk dude bought up is that some if not most fine dining kitchen staff have at least a 2 yr, if not a 4 yr degree in culinary arts and they only make $13-$15/hr on average.

Also you are way over emphasizing how much skill, how hard it is to be part of the wait staff. Not saying they dont work hard, because they do, but not $20-$40/hr hard.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I assure you, that is not the only profession where paying taxes on income is easily dodgable. Nearly every trade out there has people doing cash jobs on the side.
It's theoretically dodgeable but also not unheard of to be audited either, and if you kept shitty records the IRS assumes something around $20-25/hr.

Not sure the audit rate but it seems like a stupid gamble to pad your check every week.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
For one, if you look at that TED talk video from a few pages back, waitresses can make anywhere from $20-$40/hr thats what they average in at. Thats pretty fucking good for a non skilled, non educated person if you ask me. This probably sways more to the fine dining type establishments, but nevertheless, no, I dont think that waitstaff is worth $20-$40 for what they do. Also a point that the Ted talk dude bought up is that some if not most fine dining kitchen staff have at least a 2 yr, if not a 4 yr degree in culinary arts and they only make $13-$15/hr on average.

Also you are way over emphasizing how much skill, how hard it is to be part of the wait staff. Not saying they dont work hard, because they do, but not $20-$40/hr hard.
Not to mention, the guys out in our shop welding in the 110 degree heat make less than $20 an hour, and I guarantee they work way fucking harder than a waitress ever has. And had to develop/train more specific skills as well. Obviously hard work doesn't always equate to earnings, but if people are going to use it as a justification, we can all come up with much more difficult jobs than waiting tables.

I sit here and browse the internet all day and make more than the welders do because, when my work needs to be done, it requires someone with a particular skill set that they aren't capable of obtaining. But anyone can wait tables if they try. Sure, they might not be very good at it, but anyone CAN do it. So they should make minimum wage just like any other job that someone can walk into off the street and perform. Draegan's listing of their skills just sounds like rationalization to me. I could list off similar skills for someone flipping burgers. Or welding. The guys in the back cooking should be making more, because not everyone can walk in off the street and start cooking in a restaurant kitchen.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Just playing devil's advocate here, but welders also don't have to deal with 'John Q. Public' every minute of their day.

You know as well as anyone else here that the general public coming into your workplace would be a horrible experience.

I really don't have a dog in this fight, though. I tip what I think is appropriate for the situation.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

but for many people, wage isn't a difficulty or labor intensitivty factor, it's an educational factor. If you don't have a MINT college degree or an MBA, you deserve minimum wage, no matter how hard your job is. Just see mkopec's reply, it's aiming in that exact direction.

mpokec, by what standards do you compare the waiter's pay? There's people with million dollar salaries. There's people with multi million dollar salaries. I assume these people have a college education (some don't), and a waiter has a high school education. Maybe even some Liberal arts degree or whatever it is people so love to hate.

Is the difference between these two levels of education really worth 960 thousand dollars?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm sure we all can find issue with most of the multi-million dollar salaries, but what it boils down to is: what do I have to pay someone to do the job I want done? If it is CEO of a company, unfortunately sometimes it costs millions of dollars. Sure, I *could* hire someone for minimum wage that might do the job just as well, but am I willing to risk my business on it?

Conversely, if the job you want filled is waiting tables, you hire pretty much anyone off the street that doesn't look like a bum. And if they don't work out, you hire another one. That's why one job makes so much more than another, period. Not because they can get away with it. If they could get away with paying a CEO $15/hour, they would.

Palum

what Suineg set it to

No, the problem is because it rewards based on whatever the fuck criteria John Q. Public decides is applicable that night, not actual experience or performance. If you have big tits and aren't completely retarded you will make way, way more money than any lesser woman or man. TMI notwithstanding from the conversation, my sister said she got a 40% raise from wearing a push-up bra when serving. Additionally, I've gotten way better service from some $15/meal restaurants than $120/meal restaurants. Granted restaurant and service qualityshouldbe directly related, but I shouldn't get looked at funny for leaving a $5 tip on a $120 meal when the server ignored us the entire meal and never even came back to refill drinks once. With tipping the way it is, I have to be 'guilty' about paying based on performance because Icouldbe partly responsible for that person's financial ruin when that should be on the fucking establishment to maintain and ensure quality and standards.

Just last Sunday, went into Jersey Mike's to try it out and it rustled my fucking jimmies endlessly that the card pad ASKS you to leave a tip. For what? Asking white or wheat and then following through on that request? Jesus.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate

$20-$40 is pretty high, but that's what tits and a bunch of drunk 20 year olds get you in a bar. However, you can earn that in some fine-dining establishments that you alluded to, and servering in those places is pretty difficult to do. It's just not dropping plates off at a table and asking if they want another coke.

Also that Ted talk was a fake Ted talk. It was also stupid.

In any case, it takes a lot of skill to be a server, or at least a good one where you're earning 200-300$ a night. Those jobs are very very few and far inbetween and often found in places like NYC.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
It's theoretically dodgeable but also not unheard of to be audited either, and if you kept shitty records the IRS assumes something around $20-25/hr.

Not sure the audit rate but it seems like a stupid gamble to pad your check every week.
I've known waiters to get audited, but that's usually because they were stupid and often claimed 0$ made.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
But anyone can wait tables if they try.
This is 100% not true. Towards the end of my college day waiting life I became a corporate trainer and helped open up restaurants and train their opening day staff. I've seen a lot of people who were just not cut out to be waiting staff at least in places that see decent traffic. I guess anyone can be a server if the restaurant is never busy and you always only have 1 or 2 tables in any given hour.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
If you don't have a MINT college degree or an MBA, you deserve minimum wage, no matter how hard your job is.
That's a pretty stupid statement, but I'm not going to try to argue with you about it. There are so many examples of this being wrong it's stupid.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
No, the problem is because it rewards based on whatever the fuck criteria John Q. Public decides is applicable that night, not actual experience or performance. If you have big tits and aren't completely retarded you will make way, way more money than any lesser woman or man. TMI notwithstanding from the conversation, my sister said she got a 40% raise from wearing a push-up bra when serving. Additionally, I've gotten way better service from some $15/meal restaurants than $120/meal restaurants. Granted restaurant and service qualityshouldbe directly related, but I shouldn't get looked at funny for leaving a $5 tip on a $120 meal when the server ignored us the entire meal and never even came back to refill drinks once. With tipping the way it is, I have to be 'guilty' about paying based on performance because Icouldbe partly responsible for that person's financial ruin when that should be on the fucking establishment to maintain and ensure quality and standards.

Just last Sunday, went into Jersey Mike's to try it out and it rustled my fucking jimmies endlessly that the card pad ASKS you to leave a tip. For what? Asking white or wheat and then following through on that request? Jesus.
Ok like 500 posts in a row.

You just seem rustled in general. Tips typically average out over a given week assuming full time employment. You have bad nights and good nights. But by the end of the week I typically made the same amount of money. If a chick could make a shit ton more money with her tits hanging out, I had to bust my ass and take 10 extra tables in a shift. There are ways for non-big-titted people to make money too. Just got to work harder.

Your quality of service example doesn't really have any bearing. Of course you can receive shitty service in fine dining and get great service at Fridays. The cost of your meal is not indicative on the quality of server unfortunately. And typically, if you have a bad server in fine dining, then they are probably not going to be there very long. Which is a shame sense you expect good service when you are spending a lot of money. You should of commented on that to the manager.

If you feel guilty about tipping via performance that's your hangup. Telling you to get over it is the only thing I can say.

edit: Tipping at a place like Jersey Mikes is hilarious. I would never do that. The only food I tip on is if I sit down and eat.