Should you tip the waitress and how much thread

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I've posted somewhere in this thread previously it seems, so I'm sure I outlined my thoughts about tipping there, but I'm not gonna lie, if it is an attractive female that flirts with me, she's probably going to get a bigger tip (unless I'm clearly on a date or something) even though I know I have zero shot with her. Is that fair? Hell no. But it is reality.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I use 15% as my standard, if you suck I drop to 10 if you rock it's 20. I am not doing any more math than those three options. 90% of the time it's 15% where I am from they are paid at least min wage and I know a few that make above that. It's insane to me that some states allow them to be paid less than the state min.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I do 20% plus rounding it off (because fuck change) as a rule of thumb, +/-$1-2 for good/bad service.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think he means fuck dealing with change amounts on the bill instead of round totals.

Desmas_sl

shitlord
Appearance means a lot in this world. Waiting tables with a shitty appearance and service butthurts you with the stuff I said? You need to face reality.

I tip generously because they have a shitty paying job. Some are born just to do the bare minimum, others are in it because maybe they lost their white collar job( I've met/know people in this situation).

All you all calling me an asshole about my views, welcome to the internet. I leave you this

Ghork

Molten Core Raider
meh there's a lot of shitty paying jobs, why should the waiting industry get tips while someone flipping burgers shouldn't?
0 tips for all

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah no shit. Those fuckers in the hot sweaty ass kitchen frying your bacon and flipping your burgers with people bitching at them to "HURRY THE FUCK UP!!" Work just as hard as the wait staff if not more.

Replican_sl

shitlord
meh there's a lot of shitty paying jobs, why should the waiting industry get tips while someone flipping burgers shouldn't?
0 tips for all
Because the guy flipping burgers doesn't have a separate $2.13/hr minimum wage, and flipping a burger takes much less effort. Please don't go out to eat, and please don't have children. For all of us.

Ghork

Molten Core Raider
Because the guy flipping burgers doesn't have a separate $2.13/hr minimum wage, and flipping a burger takes much less effort. Please don't go out to eat, and please don't have children. For all of us.
Waiter and burger flipper has the same minimum wage were i come from, often the waiter will have a higher base income than the burger flipper, or the guy collecting sewage. Am from Denmark btw

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
I worked the kitchen way back in the day. Facing the grill, with the oven behind me, the hotdog steamer on one side and boiling oil on the other was no picnic, especially in summer. Oh yeah, we had the dishwasher right next door, you know, just for that extra kick of heat and moisture. I sure as hell wouldn't say doing 8hours shifts in that furnace took less effort than walking food to the tables.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Do normal people actually work the grill/burners/dish washers? In my 5 - 6 years in restaurants the only people who did those jobs were a) people who couldn't speak English or b) people who would literally punch and/or stab a customer who didn't tip them. I never felt terribly bad for the kitchen staff because they COULD work as servers if they put forth the effort. However, they didn't/couldn't be bothered to do that, so they got stuck with the shittier job that doesn't get tips.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Personally, it was a student job (which was replaced about 4 months later when I found a job as mechanic and later moved to a lab when I got my BSc). Took it because that was all I could find at the time. I feel sorry for the poor sonofabitch for has to work that kind of job long term tho, regardless if he's normal people or not.

Anyway, my point was to state that working the kitchen sure as hell doesn't take "much less effort" than taking orders and bringing plates to the tables. What a fucking joke.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Are there seriously people in this thread that go out to eat and don't leave tips? Speaking strictly for 'murica here, but if you do that, ever, you are just the worst kind of person. Hate the system all you want, but that's the way it is, and trying to pull some "I don't like it so I'm not participating" schlock is just a thin cover story for you being a miserable cheap ass. It's part of the business, probably always will be here, so suck it up and be a semi-functioning human being and try not ruin some poor single moms night because she got a big old 0 for your bill.

spronk

FPS noob
its so funny how this topic riles people up way, way more than politics or religion in america