Shroud Of The Avatar - Shit Went Persistent

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
At first I was really excited...but then I realized...this isn't an MMO?
So, is this online at all? What's the point of all this emphasis on player housing if not?

Ultima Online player housing = great
Skyrim player housing = pointless

There's no need for player housing in a single player game. Just give me a big storage chest or whatever.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

So, is this online at all? What's the point of all this emphasis on player housing if not?

There's no need for player housing in a single player game. Just give me a big storage chest or whatever.
"Play options will include solo, friends only, or open multiplayer via the Selective Multiplayer system"

I assume this means similar to neverwinter, or minecraft/terraria. there will be public servers. no idea if separate clients or if it will be 3rd party making these server clients. or if the studio itself will be hosting these open mp.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Yeah I never understood player housing. But it's a huge scene in mods for Skyrim. Personally just give me a long line of mannequins and display cases and I'm good
Dovahkiin - Wardrobe Room - a lot Mannequins at Skyrim Nexus - mods and community

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Most of the time in Skyrim I just murdered a houses occupants so I could dump my excess inventory. That's about how interesting player housing is in a single player game

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Baldur's Gate Fortress system was very, very cool. NWN2 had a great system as well. I think you mean the whole meaningless system of 'just a place to store your items' which I'd totally agree.

But when it's done right, it's incredible and can be very meaningful.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
I decided to throw some bucks at this and see where it goes. They released a 6-month progress video the other day. I love the artistic style they are using. Time will tell about the other stuff.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Of course it does. Garriot made it. This thread is just plain full of haters.

Ultima I-II-III revolutionary in every single way. First 3d dungeons, etc..etc..etc...

Wing Commander, first true physics engine of it's kind.

Ultima Underworld, every game you've played since is STILL using it's ideas.

UO. The Jesus Christ of Online gaming. The first true MMO.

And literally a myriad of other shit too long to list.

edit: There's an axiom that you never, ever put your own money into your projects. This is true in almost every field. As for folks who do? Ask Kevin Costner, or any entrepreneur how that usually works out.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Game might be great, graphics look worse than Oblivion tho lol, if you think that looks good in the graphics department you havent played a PC game made post 2006 I think.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Looks good... Same problem as all Garriot games though. Total dork-outs with very limited appeal.

Asherah

Silver Knight of the Realm
Of course it does. Garriot made it. This thread is just plain full of haters.
Yeah, he might have made a few bad games, but he has also made more good games than pretty much anyone else. And I don't think that most people that didn't play UO back in 1997 can appreciate how revolutionary it was.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
He is the George Lucas of RPGs is that what you're saying? And is that a good or bad thing?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Ive been reading up on this game on different sites and everyone is just gushing over the inovation of the "keyword" NPC dialogue system. I guess everything old is new again.
hello
hi
hail

what muffins
which muffins
where muffins

ok
yes
okay

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
What's this thread about anyway and should I merge it with the Shroud of the Avatar thread in the Other Games forum?