Shroud Of The Avatar - Shit Went Persistent

Charles_sl

shitlord
I can't believe so many people drank that dirty-space-hippy-nerd's kool aid.

Kickstarter does seem to be abused somewhat by these "famous" people. Most of them aren't lacking funding or any such thing, they're just looking for the easiest and safest way to explore their ideas. Which in most of the cases that I've seen, and this is one of them, means that they use their popularity with the nostalgic crowd so that they don't have to either put some of their own skin in the game or do any work on the financial side of things.

Has there been any product released by these famous kickstarter users? I don't follow it very closely but it seems like the most popular ones are based on prior games or started by someone that video game players know. I would like to see some of the games that have been released from these kickstarters.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't mind the kickstarter "abuse" as its also giving us quite a few possible "old school" games that look like they will live up to the hype. Obsidian, star citizen, that successor to planescape: torment, etc. I'm sure quite a few people are willing to roll the dice with 5-20 dollar donations. Even if you donate to three different games at 20 dollars a piece, and two suck donkey and one is really amazing, compared to today's pricing that's still a good deal.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Kickstarter allows devs to cut shitty publishers out of the loop. While I think it's still too early to say if it's a viable alternative(I don't think any of the major Kickstarter games are done yet), I am all for it so far. I think the key is to temper expectations and seriously pad your release date. You think gamers get whiny when games are delayed now? Imagine if they already donated cash!

I'm surprised there's so much hate for Garriott though. Tabula Rasa didn't seem that much worse than most lame MMO's(the genre, in general, is terrible) and most of his previous games were well received. Also, he has a castle. That has to count for something.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Kickstarter allows devs to cut shitty publishers out of the loop. While I think it's still too early to say if it's a viable alternative(I don't think any of the major Kickstarter games are done yet), I am all for it so far. I think the key is to temper expectations and seriously pad your release date. You think gamers get whiny when games are delayed now? Imagine if they already donated cash!

I'm surprised there's so much hate for Garriott though. Tabula Rasa didn't seem that much worse than most lame MMO's(the genre, in general, is terrible) and most of his previous games were well received. Also, he has a castle. That has to count for something.
Kickstarter should mandate profit sharing for higher end dollar investments. I wonder if Garriott would have been so quick to pull the trigger on this. As it stands, I still find it repulsive in this instance. Kickstarter is fine for what you have described, and fantastic for giving developers money who want to try something new and fresh that a publisher won't fund/control - but it shouldn't be used for multi-millionaire relic designers who can fund their own shitty projects on their own. (Although the accountability of gamers protecting their wallets these days is ridiculous)

About the only Kickstarter I fully support at the moment if Chris Robert's space game. Everything else is bullshit.

The fact that publishers tell their dev houses to go to Kickstarter and see what they can raise first before their full (gauranteed I might add) funding kicks in shows the abuse has already started.

It is a fantastic idea. And it took this shithole of an unethical industry about 6 months before it is being exploited behind the scenes left and right for risk free funding.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I don't think Lord British is really a strong brand. He should drop that terrible handle and just use his name.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Kickstarter... shouldn't be used for multi-millionaire relic designers who can fund their own shitty projects on their own.

About the only Kickstarter I fully support at the moment if Chris Robert's space game. Everything else is bullshit.
You do realize that Chris Roberts is probably every bit as rich as Richard Garriott right? Hell, Roberts directed his own movie(Wing Commander) and then opened his own Hollywood production company, Ascendant Pictures, which has put out several movies.

I love Wing Commander and Privateer as much as the next person, but Roberts is in roughly the same situation as Garriott, he hasn't put out a decent game in over a decade, and hasn't put out a great game in closer to 2.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
You do realize that Chris Roberts is probably every bit as rich as Richard Garriott right? Hell, Roberts directed his own movie(Wing Commander) and then opened his own Hollywood production company, Ascendant Pictures, which has put out several movies.

I love Wing Commander and Privateer as much as the next person, but Roberts is in roughly the same situation as Garriott, he hasn't put out a decent game in over a decade, and hasn't put out a great game in closer to 2.
Yeah agreed you are probably right on that. Although I cannot find Chris Robert's net worth.

At least what Robert's has shown actually looks like a game designed in this decade though, and he has always been known to push the envelope. Even back in the day of Strike Commander. Garriott's game looks like something that could run on my Atari 2600.

AlekseiFL_sl

shitlord
http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03...lly-just-suck/

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/19/ri...esigners-suck/

Garriott: 'I think most game designers really just suck'

Richard Garriott has some harsh words and a bit of tough love for game design professionals in a new interview at PC Gamer. Lord British, more visible in the press these days as a result of his successful Shroud of the Avatar Kickstarter project, sat down with the mag to talk at length about what ails gaming and who he thinks is capable of doing something about it.

"I think there's really very few great game designers," Garriott says. "I think Chris Roberts is one of them, Will Wright's another, Peter Molyneux is another. They clearly exist, but on the whole, I think that the design talent in our industry is dramatically lower than we need, as an industry. It's a very hard skill to learn."

Garriott cites a lack of education and a lack of extra-design skills as problems plaguing many designers and the industry at large.

If you're not a good artist and not a good programmer, but you still like games, you become a designer, if you follow me.

You get into Q&A and often design. And the most valuable part of creating a game is the design, which the programmers are technically executing. And they'd be happy to just execute some of them. But in my mind, most artists and programmers are just as much of gamers as the designers, and I usually find in my history that the artists and programmers are, in fact, as good of designers as the designers. They're often better, because they understand the technology or the art.

So we're leaning on a lot of designers who get that job because they're not qualified for the other jobs, rather than that they are really strongly qualified as a designer. It's really hard to go to school to be a good designer."

Source: PC Gamer

I totally agree with them sucking.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Bro cause found it on massivley, usally find out alot shit there 1st even if they steal it from everyone else lol.
just browse reddit then...

Still, reading the interview, they misquoted him a few times. Still a douche but I honestly think he hasn't talked with anyone who actually designed modern games. Bastion, Mark of the Ninja, FTL guys, ...

AlekseiFL_sl

shitlord
just browse reddit then...

Still, reading the interview, they misquoted him a few times. Still a douche but I honestly think he hasn't talked with anyone who actually designed modern games. Bastion, Mark of the Ninja, FTL guys, ...
If he did not say that most designers suck, they probally posted that quote to get more peps to read there site lol on massively, fucking gamebreaker does that all the time crazier they can make the title of the news more peps read it lol.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Why do you link to massively instead of pcgamer who actually published the interview instead of cherry-picking it for the most catchy quote ?
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/19/ri...esigners-suck/

That guy is a colossal douche, if anyone wasn't convinced until now:
I was thinking that quote you put had to have been cleverly edited. And while it was edited, the full quote is actually fucking worse!

Lord Douchey McDouchtown_sl said:
"But other than a few exceptions, like Chris Roberts, I've met virtually no one in our industry who I think is close to as good a game designer as I am. I'm not saying that because I think I'm so brilliant. What I'm saying is, I think most game designers really just suck, and I think there's a reason why."

Sean_sl

shitlord
I was thinking that quote you put had to have been cleverly edited. And while it was edited, the full quote is actually fucking worse!
I am fucking Astonished. I did not know that that level of Douchebag and Hubris was even possible. I will be surprised if I ever read anything filled with that much hubris and douchebaggery again in my life.

I wish this would go away so this jackass wouldn't get anymore attention than he's already garnered, but I'm sure the gaming news sites will blow it up.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
A guy that dresses up as a Lord British, crown, scepter, and all...out of touch?

Probably. But then again, this guy and Chris Roberts practically invented the fucking industry when most of you were in diapers or not yet born. It's like a Beatle saying music today sucks. They're wrong. But they have forgotten more about their industry than you'll ever possibly know.

And he's right about Roberts.

AlekseiFL_sl

shitlord
A guy that dresses up as a Lord British, crown, scepter, and all...out of touch?

Probably. But then again, this guy and Chris Roberts practically invented the fucking industry when most of you were in diapers or not yet born. It's like a Beatle saying music today sucks. They're wrong. But they have forgotten more about their industry than you'll ever possibly know.

Come on guys he has done alot, the last 10 years, he has been to space, left his mind in space, built few more castles around the world with secret passages, he even has tours at 1 of his 11 bedroom castles lol.

You know when you are a king, you have alot of wenches so you need alot of castles to keep them all in chains.

Sean_sl

shitlord

The dude worked on a couple of the early Ultima games and that's about it. He's a fucking nobody compared to someone like Miyamoto or Inafune who actually built a substantial portion of the gaming industry and have a plethora of classic series as their legacies.