Shroud Of The Avatar - Shit Went Persistent

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
God, the smug... blinding my eyes... I can't see... I CANNOT see!!!!

Sometimes I wish the computer-game industry is as creative as the Tabletop game industry in terms of game design. Those guys really think "outside the box" and god damn that's kick ass pun right there.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Maybe a kind moderator could merge the other posts into this one. This topic is spread all over the board including in the Other Games section. Would be nice to have the discussion centralized since many people have already commented on it.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Oh I dont feel screwed over by Valve, dont get me wrong.

Its just that imo they are mostly about steam and cornering the digital distribution market and less so about regular game releases (when was the last half life episode?). Imo steam the way it is today is about money (you might argue otherwise but thats my take). Regardless, I like Steam since I'm getting good deals and have my gaming library managed/available in one spot, and I can throw a couple of bucks at something that I wouldnt take notice of otherwise that turns out great (last one was FTL). Thats not the "making games" side of Valve though and that they are also a developer seems so secondary to me these days.

On the topic of naming a company that puts game quality before the bottom line, I cant think of any. Imo Bioware and Blizzard used to be like that a decade ago, but that ship has sailed. I obviously dont know all game companies so maybe someone else has an idea.
I feel like everything you said here is crazy.
Quality before bottom line. Ask yourself why we haven't seen Halflife 3. And it sure isn't because they are afraid it won't make a profit. Yeah, they stepped in it, for L4D2. But games from Valve are pretty rare for a reason. Very high Quality control. Steam lets them do that if nothing else. They don't need to put out 4 games a year.

You undersell Steam itself too. Project greenlight, the workshop, giving indie games the same "shelf" space as AAA. Steam cornered the market because they were better and 4 steps ahead of everyone else.
They broke open the indie gaming market. Even for those that aren't on steam itself.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I figured since so many of our other game threads devolve into design discussions, that this would be a useful topic. I think there are some very good game designers, but also many who live under the constraints of corporate behemoths with micromanagement, and others who make games without much bank. The problem seems to be one more of freedom and resources than 'good design', but that's just my opinion from a 10,000 foot view.

edit. Oh sweet someone else sums it up for me

http://www.f13.net/index.php?itemid=846
I agree, Very good rant. The points on kickstarter are very good, too.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Gecko I posted this long while ago in Teso thread and EqN thread also updated shroud thread, did it in 2 mmo threads cause those 2 get read the most and they are still coming out end of year and 2 years give or take.
If you don't stop this shit, I'm going to put you in the RRP for a week.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
His point may even be valid if you generalize it somewhat to game design being very stagnant derivative during the last decade, the result of playing it safe for the sake of money. But thinking he and his buddies from 30 years ago are far above everyone else that worked in the business in the last few decades, that's something else.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
On one hand he's right that shit is stagnant, on the other hand he's fucking weird and hasn't made a good game in like 20 years.

AlekseiFL_sl

shitlord
If you don't stop this shit, I'm going to put you in the RRP for a week.
Hey,

I am for 20 days now recoveing at home from the back surgery for the really bad car accident when some moron trucker fell asleep in nov 2012 hit us.While was driving home in my Lexus SUV.

So cant sit or stand atm, so very limited gaming atm not more then like 30 mins due to the pain.

I told you in PM that was having the back surgery long ago from the car accident.

I posted in shroud thread 12 hours before Gecko made thread on it, on Richard Garriots post.
Even had pics, had links.

At the same time posted in EQN and Teso thread same info with pics, cause what Garriot said if read the entire pc gamer acticle really was true.Even if was not tactful,Garriot always been love it or hate him very Cocky or Arrogant.

I did not make new thread, and even posted in TESO and EQN threads reason why was what Garriot said appliyed to alot of MMO's since those are 2 biggest yet to come, fiquired it would get read,debated the most in those 2 threads.

Then 12 hours later Gecko made a thread for this, I reported the thread to mods, and even sent him PM about it.

Yet see you posting on the thread about it, when you probally did not even know all the facts, instead of asking me in PM.

I have to read your Snide comment.

So what has happend to you?

I mean you used to be able to talk better, some the Idiots on the boards act like they are in Junior High or High school, and frankly some them probally are.

Half my Negs have been not for my bad writeing mistakes in english, they are cause im 54 years old with 2 daughters in medical school In CA, and im not a cool hipster kid.
I have gotten negs from idiots that even neg and say we hear you are not kewl, I have to go with my high school dwag yo.
I speak 6 languages level 5 fluent, and dont even know what this Junior high fucking slang means dwag yo.
Yes even english is level 5 fluent speaking, reading, however the writeing is the 1 language its not level 5 which you all know.
Anyone that has spoken to me in real life, or skype, vent would tell you this.

I am sorry,Maybe im too educated dont just speak english, cause when,where was born we had to learn mutiply languages.
I dont know what it is, its almost like you believe alot of these kids before you know facts like you used to.

This board seems to like a Junior High School Popularity Contest.

In junior high know what I did?I skipped 2 grades went to High school, cause tested out of 2 grades in row.

Then went on to get my BS,Grad School then Law School.

Know what most the Idiots that are in the gangs, and packs in Junior High and High school do alot them Later in life?
Beat their wives, do drugs, never even get pathetic AA degree.
Then they end up liveing alot them in the South in the USA were most of them are on Public Assitance.
Hey but they are kewl kids then they post on boards from the grandparents or parents basement next 40 years.

I mean prime example of this was the refund thread on FoH for GW2 hey its to grindy, there is no end game, there are no dungeons,pvp is gank fest.
Any moron even one liveing in cave would known this was going to be to the case.
But more to the point asking for refunds in any game just about when you have beta tested or most others have then you buy, sit whine about it, or play it for 25,50,75 hours whatever then want a refund go fuck yourself kid, No mean really go fuck yourself, finish high school, get fucking education.

Maybe for the board you should start a welfare section for alot of the Junior High,High School kids.

So they can donate with there Food stamp cards from there Foster Parents,grand parents,Parents etc.

I was going to Donate 40k to 50k so the boards could get proper servers for the boards, but after seeing what most the boards have turned to Junior High School Popularity Contest.
Over last few monthes even prior from FoH were ashats complain about paying 15 bucks for mmo, just cant see it.

Hell if my wife and me go to dinner we spend anywhere from 400-4000k just for dinner.
Alot of the places we go have wine lists up to 100k.
So the 4k can be alot higher depending on what bottle of wine we choose.
Sometimes it can be few times week.

I wanna be clear this has nothing to do with my back surgery, and massive pain im in atm due to that.
Its just overall disgust with Junior High School Popularity Contest when probally half them are on some type welfare its just fucking sad.

Alexsei

Kaljin

N00b
Hey,

I am for 20 days now recoveing at home from the back surgery for the really bad car accident when some moron trucker fell asleep in nov 2012 hit us.While was driving home in my Lexus SUV.

So cant sit or stand atm, so very limited gaming atm not more then like 30 mins due to the pain.

I told you in PM that was having the back surgery long ago from the car accident.

I posted in shroud thread 12 hours before Gecko made thread on it, on Richard Garriots post.
Even had pics, had links.

At the same time posted in EQN and Teso thread same info with pics, cause what Garriot said if read the entire pc gamer acticle really was true.Even if was not tactful,Garriot always been love it or hate him very Cocky or Arrogant.

I did not make new thread, and even posted in TESO and EQN threads reason why was what Garriot said appliyed to alot of MMO's since those are 2 biggest yet to come, fiquired it would get read,debated the most in those 2 threads.

Then 12 hours later Gecko made a thread for this, I reported the thread to mods, and even sent him PM about it.

Yet see you posting on the thread about it, when you probally did not even know all the facts, instead of asking me in PM.

I have to read your Snide comment.

So what has happend to you?

I mean you used to be able to talk better, some the Idiots on the boards act like they are in Junior High or High school, and frankly some them probally are.

Half my Negs have been not for my bad writeing mistakes in english, they are cause im 54 years old with 2 daughters in medical school In CA, and im not a cool hipster kid.
I have gotten negs from idiots that even neg and say we hear you are not kewl, I have to go with my high school dwag yo.
I speak 6 languages level 5 fluent, and dont even know what this Junior high fucking slang means dwag yo.
Yes even english is level 5 fluent speaking, reading, however the writeing is the 1 language its not level 5 which you all know.
Anyone that has spoken to me in real life, or skype, vent would tell you this.

I am sorry,Maybe im too educated dont just speak english, cause when,where was born we had to learn mutiply languages.
I dont know what it is, its almost like you believe alot of these kids before you know facts like you used to.

This board seems to like a Junior High School Popularity Contest.

In junior high know what I did?I skipped 2 grades went to High school, cause tested out of 2 grades in row.

Then went on to get my BS,Grad School then Law School.

Know what most the Idiots that are in the gangs, and packs in Junior High and High school do alot them Later in life?
Beat their wives, do drugs, never even get pathetic AA degree.
Then they end up liveing alot them in the South in the USA were most of them are on Public Assitance.
Hey but they are kewl kids then they post on boards from the grandparents or parents basement next 40 years.

I mean prime example of this was the refund thread on FoH for GW2 hey its to grindy, there is no end game, there are no dungeons,pvp is gank fest.
Any moron even one liveing in cave would known this was going to be to the case.
But more to the point asking for refunds in any game just about when you have beta tested or most others have then you buy, sit whine about it, or play it for 25,50,75 hours whatever then want a refund go fuck yourself kid, No mean really go fuck yourself, finish high school, get fucking education.

Maybe for the board you should start a welfare section for alot of the Junior High,High School kids.

So they can donate with there Food stamp cards from there Foster Parents,grand parents,Parents etc.

I was going to Donate 40k to 50k so the boards could get proper servers for the boards, but after seeing what most the boards have turned to Junior High School Popularity Contest.
Over last few monthes even prior from FoH were ashats complain about paying 15 bucks for mmo, just cant see it.

Hell if my wife and me go to dinner we spend anywhere from 400-4000k just for dinner.

I wanna be clear this has nothing to do with my back surgery, and massive pain im in atm due to that.
Its just overall disgust with Junior High School Popularity Contest when probally half them are on some type welfare its just fucking sad.

Alexsei
Nobody cares, liar. All he was trying to tell you is not to derail threads with total off topic links! For a 6 language speaking douche you sure as hell can't understand something so simple.

He's actually let you coast by pretty well IMO.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
I was going to Donate 40k to 50k so the boards could get proper servers for the boards
You are a pathological liar. Who the fuck did you think would actually believe this bullshit?

I can only imagine the other little gems of pure bullshit in your post. I only skimmed over it since even just a single paragraph from you makes my eyes bleed. Anyone who actually reads the entire post is likely to get eye cancer.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
I agree, Very good rant. The points on kickstarter are very good, too.
Yep, great rant. I actually have (or had I should say) a lot of respect for RG because of my fanatical love of all things Ultima. I LOVED the entire series. Even that buggy piece of shit Ultima 9 was a incredible adventure, and a ton of fun after you patched it. I'll always be thankful for those memories, but seriously fuck this guy's ego. Knowing you are one of the pioneers of MMOs/RPGs in general is one thing. Trying to dick smack everyone with it is something else entirely and unacceptable behavior. Some humility goes a long way when you are trying to get money out of people.

The kickstarter stuff is the thing that upsets me the most. Millionaires should NOT be using kickstarter to fund their projects. If Richard said he would match whatever the fans raise + add a extra million or whatever on top of it then I wouldn't care. People with castles should not be asking the "common folk" for a hand out though. The whole thing smells like shit and taints kickstarter. I want kickstarter to succeed so bad, but if people like RG and Mark Jacobs plan to just abuse it at every turn then it likely won't.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Millionaires should NOT be using kickstarter to fund their projects.
Cut him some slack. Construction on his 3rd mansion is still not complete! Maybe Aleksei can donate some of his lunch-fund to finish it for Lord Britdouch.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Put 5000 in my paypal and I will verify for everyone that you are indeed wealthy beyond imagining. (Psst, the I'm awesome troll usually includes fucking super models....Just saying, for next time bro.)

orcmauler

Golden Squire
Ignoring the damage from eye-bleeding caused by certain posts, holy shit he comes across as wholly out of touch. Tabula Rasa had potential but, like most of the original "idea guys" from the 80's and early 90's, his concepts have not aged well. The fact that he refuses to accept this is just a symptom of Quixotism.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Without UO Would this forum exist?
Yes. Ultima Online is considered the father of the genre, but that really just comes down to release dates. EverQuest started development in 1996. UO wasn't released until 1997. Had UO of been scraped by Origin we would of still seen EverQuest in 1999. A bunch of us remember noows, but really this community exists as it does today thanks to EQ.

Tonic_sl

shitlord
Put 5000 in my paypal and I will verify for everyone that you are indeed wealthy beyond imagining. (Psst, the I'm awesome troll usually includes fucking super models....Just saying, for next time bro.)
I'd be happy with a year's worth of day care paid for (1300 a month, ffffff) or my student loans paid off. Basically a second mortgage between the two. /wrists