SimCity

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Thanks for those tips Budos, obviously I had no idea what I was doing. I've got oil, so I'm assuming I would be better served converting that to whatever the more valuable version is (not sure without being in game) before selling it. I'll see if I can't do a little research while at work before I attempt to log back in tonight. Having millions rolling in would definitely make things a fuckton easier.

I bought multiple service buildings because I was hopeful that it might be useful to others in the region. If nothing else I can at least turn them off for awhile and save the upkeep I suppose.

Intropy

Shit Gamer
Intropy your secrets are stolen and being criticized
http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCityStrat..._traffic_tips/
Yeah they raise a good point which I've been pondering myself. Essentially I could have half as many roads in my grid if I allowed each block to have two rows of high density buildings instead of just one. My thinking was that that would require double loading every road (buildings entering both sides) instead of single loading (buildings entering on one side), which would just end up bringing back the traffic problems that the whole strategy is designed to avoid. Its worth experimenting with some more though.

ohmgee_sl

shitlord
Any tricks to forcing density to grow besides high density streets, I dont have very much room but i need like double the population.

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Any tricks to forcing density to grow besides high density streets, I dont have very much room but i need like double the population.
Streets is it basically. Throw some parks to increase land value which will make people want to be around that area.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Looks like patch eliminated cheetah speed
frown.png

Budos

Patch 1.2

Fix for crash caused most commonly occurring on servers experiencing lag. This crash would happen most often when claiming a new city when playing in a region.
Fix for server select dialog not appearing on start-up if the server the player was last on is not available.
Disabled Cheetah speed. Cheetah speed is is now the same as llama speed.
Crash fix for finding closest points.
Crash fixes in transport and pedestrian code.
A fix cities having processing problems associated with helicopters.

ohmgee_sl

shitlord
Seems like im an idiot and forgot to place a town hall which caps your population also whats with business saying they have plenty of shoppers and complaining they dont have anyone shopping at the same time

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
wtf. Am I the only one who plays in cheetah speed 80% of the time?
Intropy_sl said:
Yeah they raise a good point which I've been pondering myself. Essentially I could have half as many roads in my grid if I allowed each block to have two rows of high density buildings instead of just one.
I think once we figure out the puzzle that is SimCity's traffic we might go to doublewide plots, but I think for now it's out of our reach.

Budos

wtf. Am I the only one who plays in cheetah speed 80% of the time?

I think once we figure out the puzzle that is SimCity's traffic we might go to doublewide plots, but I think for now it's out of our reach.
I play in perma-cheetah. I pause occasionally to do mass tinkering.

Might take a break until they re-enable it, I can't imagine playing at a pace slower than vanilla EQ

Intropy

Shit Gamer
Yeah that shit's ridiculous, how can we play without cheetah? Shit is going to be a snore fest.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I imagine it's more nuanced than that, because if you can play offline for extended periods the servers shouldn't be handling a much greater load at cheetah speed. Unless of course the client does less processing when it has a good connection to the server (Which would be a fucking nightmare).

I bet it's more likely that cheetah speed is causing crash or traffic issues purely client side. Which would be an interesting problem and make me consider whether cheetah gives a poorer simulation than turtle.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Guy makes a 650k pop city.

With one road
http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comm...one_road_city/
http://imgur.com/a/gVKs3
evqYGbkh.jpg

I guess he set the tax rate to 0% to encourage growth, but the fact that everything isn't one huge logjam is impressive. I'll have to add this to the things to try.

We're obviously seeking the optimal city, but if it turns out ot be something retarded like this then this game is a huge disappointment for min/maxers.

Xith

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm guessing that the game speed effects how often the game checks/updates region data. Lowering the game speed, will lower the region requests and reduce server load. That's my guess at least. I'm not sure that I'd want to play w/o cheetah speed personally...

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Geez, with 1.2 star average, on 826 reviews, Amazon has pulled the download version of the game from sale.
I feel like they did this before on another game that had a terrible roll out. They even have a disclaimer with a link to the EA Support page about how shitty the servers have been.

edit: the reviews are brutal. And what makes it worse is they are all true...

sebur

Bronze Squire
@Tuco...I have yet to play at all, since I just got past the tutorial before it kicked me off...but is 650k considered a lot? Just trying to gauge since I honestly have no clue at this point.