SimCity

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Allegedly they pulled the download version b/c they can't give refunds on it.

Arcologies are great works that you have to build.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
So did they disable cheetah speed because their servers can't handle it?
What is cheetah speed exactly? Does it mean there is no fast forwarding at all?

It really doesn't make much sense not to build the design flexibly enough that a single player could play, offline, building cities in each sector of a region, setting up their trade connections and the like, and play it in that way.
It makes no sense if you want to keep your consumers happy. It makes perfect sense if that's their DRM and if they think having a strong DRM means they'll sell more copies. I hope the reviews and Amazon taking it off their site really are bad enough to make a dent in sales. The Amazon thing has got to hurt only a couple days after release...

Why do we keep doing this to ourselves?
Cause it's SimCity and because other games of the genre to comes since SC4 was somewhat disappointing.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
rofl i can already imagine the number of review sites suckling at EA's teet ready to roll out their 9.5/10 review now have to scramble back and bring out those forbidden numbers. "review in progress" indeed.
Yeah, there's been about 10 professional reviews on metacritic since right as the game came out. It's a weird situation. Online only games have typically been MMOs and it makes sense to put off giving your score for weeks because of the amount of content. That naturally gives some buffer for shit releases. But simcity is an online game whose content can be enjoyed in a matter of hours. It doesn't make sense give a favorable review for a game when you literally can't play it, nor does it make sense to give a bad review to what will likely be a >9/10 game in a couple weeks, and it doesn't make sense to take a few weeks to review it.

All in all I'd say it's a tough journalistic problem with no good answers. One thing is for sure, those shitty review sites that have their reviews out now have egg on their face and clicks for their ads.

What won't change is the desperately low score for this game from users. Spore and Diablo3 are both great games that had rough launches and are currently sitting at 2 stars on amazon still.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Cause it's SimCity and because other games of the genre to comes since SC4 was somewhat disappointing.
....GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

(no really, that is the only reason I bought it. I've been pining for a good city building sim for a long long time)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Good news: Simcity is a great buy flawed city building sim. We'll see if Maxis/EA will remove some of those flaws.

The server shit is just a matter of time and by next week it'll probably be fine. The real question is whether the traffic and other more challenging problems will be resolved.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What sucks is the game itself is actually great. Few nitpicks and little bugs/pathing here and there. It's the online/server part of it that is ruining a otherwise good game.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Amazon is not even selling the boxed version anymore.

Only 4 left in stock, ships from and sold by GameCyberStore

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Good news: Simcity is a great buy flawed city building sim. We'll see if Maxis/EA will remove some of those flaws.

The server shit is just a matter of time and by next week it'll probably be fine. The real question is whether the traffic and other more challenging problems will be resolved.
Also, the roads in this game are 10x worse than SimCity 4. If you have any hills on your map whatsoever, fucking forget about using half of that land. The smallest of god damn hills and your roads suddenly won't connect. You can run it to within a millimeter of the road you wanna connect to, with a negligable height different, yet they can't be connected. In the event you pull some voodoo and find some magical way to get them connected after 5 minutes, you likely can't zone or put buildings on half the god damn road. Hilly maps could be really cool for aesthetics. I played on this one and had a dirt road up the hill with wind farms and mining, an industrial zone in the valley, etc. It was looking really cool and I thought "oh this is worth the less efficient use of land." ...except I couldn't build shit on the god damn hills. Horizontal, vertical, doesn't matter the road layout. It's the most obnoxious aspect of this game.
That sounds like a big fucking flaw to me. Wasn't road building and zoning one of the biggest issue with SC4 already? It's been a while but I seem to remember it drove me fucking insane. I don't think I can imagine anything being 10x worse than that.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Why are people cursing origin?
Really does not have anything to do with SimCity, like you said but

Unfortunately if you buy the game from EA and request a refund from Origin, you?ll just get your Origin account banned and lose access to all of your games.
Is the kind of thing that I think warrants bitching about Origin in any thread even remotely related to EA.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I liked Tropico a lot. It's pretty close to being Sim City without being it. If that makes any sense.

It's pretty telling when Amazon pulls the game. They have really good CS and I can't blame them that they don't want to be associated with this disaster of a launch. I think this launch has officially surpassed Diablo 3's crappy launch. I think this is 10x worse actually. You really risk having hours of work poof right now if their shitty servers don't sync up or go down for whatever. I'm lucky that I've only lost one city so far due to this bullshit.

It's going to be even worse starting tomorrow because the weekend will see even more of an increase of a load especially Sunday.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Having your bank cancel a payment to origin is not 'asking for a refund' and I'm not surprised that origin's policy is to ban people who do that because I bet most people who do that are trying to defraud the seller.

foddon

Silver Knight of the Realm
I don't care how little faith you have in EA or Origin - I can't believe anyone who says they saw THIS coming to this extent. A few hiccups maybe. A patch where we lose a few hours of play time okay... but 2 full days of not being able to log in?
You must have skipped the Diablo 3 launch! Exact same scenario played out there.

I completely agree with you about how they handle the PR on these incidents and needing to be more forthcoming. I didn't buy this game but it always pisses me off more when they try to minimize things (like "certain users are experiencing this very specific issue" when everyone knows pretty much everyone is experiencing much more serious issues).

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The fact that this was a "myth" that needed to be "busted" is quite telling on its own.

I saw some comment somewhere saying everyone who purchased the game should request a charge-back from their bank so all the banks will be pissed at EA. I like that idea.
people are rightly so jumping down EAs throat about all of this, but after the rumor that not reporting bugs during the beta would get your origin account banned happened and everyone believed it right out of the gate, I am not surprised at all that this gained traction.

Can't wait for the playing SimCity gave me AIDS rumors start

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Holy shit they did disable cheetah speed. wtf!

It's not worth playing with cheetah speed is disabled!