SimCity

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
The tutorial had a lot of emphasis in relationships between cities. So eventually it seems like you could have 1 of your cities being the heart of what would normally just be the center of a large map. It's hard to say what the experience will really be like since that aspect is locked out. I was always a fan of the large cities, but I would still have mini towns on the outskirts for dumps power etc/

asocirev_sl

shitlord
Sadly the regions are not seamlessly connected at all. There are big empty gaps between them, they are placed on the map like completely separate suburban towns. Also, from what I've seen, although the topography varies, all of the cities are indeed perfect squares.
Maybe EA will go the FTP route and allow us to micro transaction our way to a self contained Metropolis!

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Sadly the regions are not seamlessly connected at all. There are big empty gaps between them, they are placed on the map like completely separate suburban towns. Also, from what I've seen, although the topography varies, all of the cities are indeed perfect squares.

Someone mentioned above that the region, which contains multiple city plots kind of makes up the city. This is true in the sense that cities will have separate specialities and interact/share resources in meaningful ways, but in terms of spatial relationships they are very separate, the region definitely doesn't look like a single city at all. This is definitely a lot morel like SimSuburbanTowns than SimCity.
In single player how do you switch from one region to the next? Can you just scroll past a region's border and start building in the next region? Is there any kind of load time?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I've been defending Maxis over their always-online DRM bullshit since day one of announcement and was really excited to play a new SimCity. The idea of having a FoH community city was enticing.

But after seeing how constrained, small and easy the system is I might just rickshaw this thread.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You switch from city view to region view to view the whole area and you just click on another region you want to visit.

and yes it has to load it. in the tutorial it didn't take that long to load. The other regions were empty though when playing so I have no idea how long they will take to load when they are built up.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
The small size is by far the most disappointing aspect of the game. I was like, "I'm going to get this, and get my brother a copy, day 1, and we'll do a region." Now I'm like, "...fucking Maxis." I'm going to wait for some reviews before I decide to buy even one copy now.

ohmgee_sl

shitlord
If they dont do another beta that shows off city specialization or any multi region play no reason to spend 60 bucks to see if its any good.

Intropy

Shit Gamer
I think I recall reading a few pages back that the reason for the smaller city size is due to the new simulation system. If this is the case, then I think Maxis should be given some credit because the new simulation system is absolutely awesome. Yes, a smaller map size is a high price to pay, and it may not seem worth it in teh short therm. But if they can continue to optimize and develop their engine so that large maps become feasible in the long term then this is definetly a good direction to go in for them, and for us as players. That said, I know that outlook is a bit optimistic, as I do share everyone's cynicism about the DRM/DLC cash grab angle, but there is still hope that eventually this will be an amazing game, even if we have to wait until SimCity 6. For that reason I'm willing to throw my support behind this even if its not perfect in the short term.

Mountain Man_sl

shitlord
I love how people had to actually play the game to realize how small the cities were. I got invited to the SimStreet beta but I'm not even going to waste time playing the game for free.

Bellicose_sl

shitlord
preordered the 110$ digital deluxe edition of origin a while back .. atleasts i got 70$ worth of gift certificates i can use on other games
rolleyes.png

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I love how people had to actually play the game to realize how small the cities were. I got invited to the SimStreet beta but I'm not even going to waste time playing the game for free.
wow, who would have thought that playing a game is different than looking at screenshots. We all knew how small the map sizes were just by looking at pictures and watching videos you ass burglar. Playing the game makes you realize how bad a design decision it really is.

Fuckin '13s

Xith

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I tried it out and I thought it was pretty good. I really liked the new simulation system. I liked how electricity, water, sewage just followed along roads. The map sizes are small, but I think it I'll be ok with building a bunch of smaller, more specialized cities instead of one huge one. I'll probably be buying it.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...troubles.shtml

Banned because he complained on Reddit about the lack of authentication servers?

I know faking bans is currently in vogue when trying to stir up trouble so I'm not sure I believe EA would go this far but if it's true that's one monumental fuck up on their part.
I got banned from Vanguard beta for posting the directly file size on FoH back in the day.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
So far the best deal I like is the GMG pre-order that gives you $8 credit at GMG plus the limited edition content.