SimCity

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Those screens make the size clear - thanks!

While power gaming it at max speed I was able to fill the whole map within about 15minutes. The remaining 45minutes was spent basically just watching the city densify and adding services as needed to support the population growth.
Well.. that's not good.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I thought the map size was ridiculously small. I dont know what they're thinking? Do they want us to have "alt-itis" with cities or something? I seriously hope there is a shit ton more depth to the game, and an expanded map size when its finally released.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
The small map size sucks balls, you can't make a mega city that does everything... From your screens looks like you can connection the side streets to the next map. I'll check this game out I think.
If you're talking about the thing on the left, that's a railroad track, which we can't do anything with in the beta. Just like the coastline where you could build docks and such eventually. They are, I think, just another outlet for us to generate more commerce, commuting, industry, etc. The main highway at the bottom is our only connection with other cities at the moment, even though when you zoom out the area around your dotted lines there are typically empty and would be great places to put more crap.

Very, very disappointed with the small size as well. I don't even know if it would be all that fun to build a bunch of small cities (as in, controlling a region yourself instead of leaving it up to chance who you get), each one specializing in something unique, because you'll just have pretty much the same overall layout minus a few specialization items I'd imagine. Also, I'd imagine the 3 cities per region is just for beta, but unless they increase that size dramatically you wouldn't even be able to do that much in a region you controlled all by yourself anyway.

I had fun, and definitely could have fun for hours at a time I'm sure, but I'm not sure I'll be buying it until it drops substantially in price unless I hear something that changes my outlook significantly.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and does anyone else get really annoyed by the "Sim voice"? I'd rather they were just silent (might be an option somewhere, but I'm not wasting my hour looking for it).

wantonsoup_sl

shitlord
I really hope that size thing is a beta restriction or something, otherwise this will sit in my games to buy till it's 5 bucks on steam.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Very, very disappointed with the small size as well.
At least now I know how my wife feels
frown.png

Right now it feels very easy to make money, I don't want it to be life Sim City 4 with the build it perfect or go home but it seems it needs toned down a little. Part of this will depend on how common disasters are and how much damage the do, maybe the extra cash is needed.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
In the pics it looks more like SimNeighborhood. Maybe it's just a beta thing.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
In the pics it looks more like SimNeighborhood. Maybe it's just a beta thing.
Probably not though even the intro movie shows very small cities. I think they might have done this to eliminate the radius challenge which leads to the min/max game play of SimCity 4, but likely will make the game short lived for most because there is less to figure out. Will become place one of each service building expand it as necessary, with positioning rendered obsolete

Neph_sl

shitlord
Haven't played the beta, but I'm hoping that there's going to be plenty of depth through their building upgrade system. So rather than building huge sprawling cities, it's just small, but highly customizable cities.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I got to play my hour of crack...I mean SimCity. I like it overall but like everybody else has said the small city sizes is very disappointing. This is something that can usually be fixed with the mod community but since it's online only bullshit we'll never see a mod for it unless EA does it themselves. Everyone wants to make a New York or Chicago not a suburb.

I really like being able to add-on to government buildings. Another thing I felt is Police and Fire don't cover a big enough area. I think it's way too small. For that area you get to play in for beta two police and one fire stations should be able to cover that entire area.

What is the optimal way of laying roads to maximize zoning space? I only played one hour and my layout was pretty terrible. I prefer the way they did zoning in SimCity 4 a lot, but maybe it's just something I need to get used too in 5.

Intropy

Shit Gamer
I got to play my hour of crack...I mean SimCity. I like it overall but like everybody else has said the small city sizes is very disappointing. This is something that can usually be fixed with the mod community but since it's online only bullshit we'll never see a mod for it unless EA does it themselves. Everyone wants to make a New York or Chicago not a suburb.

I really like being able to add-on to government buildings. Another thing I felt is Police and Fire don't cover a big enough area. I think it's way too small. For that area you get to play in for beta two police and one fire stations should be able to cover that entire area.

What is the optimal way of laying roads to maximize zoning space? I only played one hour and my layout was pretty terrible. I prefer the way they did zoning in SimCity 4 a lot, but maybe it's just something I need to get used too in 5.
If you have the road grids turned on, and you hover your cursor over an existing to road, it will draw the next grid line for you at the optimum spacing for the next street. I managed to get a city up to 75,000 on my most recent play through using what was pretty close to an optimum grid.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh, it's only 1/8 the size of past games? That's OK consumers, you can just buy 8 versions of the game to have the same fun.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The true 'city' really is the Region. Each of the individual maps can and do share various services and such with others in the region and are not even remotely intended to be standalone.

The best example would be New York City. You would have one map for each of the 5 boroughs plus places like Westchester county and maybe the meadowlands area of NJ.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Looks interesting enough, I will have to see how the region thing plays out. If I was stuck purely to that map size only I might have issues.

My concern with regions is are they seamlessly connected or is there a "map end" for each city that is just blank land with a road through it.

Also hopefully its not all "Squares". Kinda silly to give a map with geographical curves but only let players build in a square box.

Intropy

Shit Gamer
Looks interesting enough, I will have to see how the region thing plays out. If I was stuck purely to that map size only I might have issues.

My concern with regions is are they seamlessly connected or is there a "map end" for each city that is just blank land with a road through it.

Also hopefully its not all "Squares". Kinda silly to give a map with geographical curves but only let players build in a square box.
Sadly the regions are not seamlessly connected at all. There are big empty gaps between them, they are placed on the map like completely separate suburban towns. Also, from what I've seen, although the topography varies, all of the cities are indeed perfect squares.

Someone mentioned above that the region, which contains multiple city plots kind of makes up the city. This is true in the sense that cities will have separate specialities and interact/share resources in meaningful ways, but in terms of spatial relationships they are very separate, the region definitely doesn't look like a single city at all. This is definitely a lot morel like SimSuburbanTowns than SimCity.