SimCity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Does anyone have a CDkey for the original Sim City 4 that they don't use anymore? I found my CD under my bed but I the CD key must be on the manual.

elidrin_sl

shitlord
Get to play the beta , lucky me or bad luck me. Only for the weekend though , anyone else get a invite? Ok went back a page , i guess pre orders get it as well.
I got into the beta through the nvidia key giveaway and have played a few times today so far. Really enjoy the game, it's just a shame you're restricted to 1hr per session and they locked down most of the "ploppables". Looking forward to multiplayer also, is it March yet?

So dled the client before i went to bed. Now i am in a login queue , but when i do login i cant load the tutorial city. Cant imagine they have that many testers to overload their servers like this.

Killjoy_sl

shitlord
Played through the beta a couple of times now and have enjoyed it so far. I like how the water and power use the roads instead of having to place pipes and powerlines which I found tedious in the other games. I also like that you can upgrade a lot of the service buildings by adding additions instead of plopping one down every 3 blocks.

While I don't really care for EA or Origin, I will probably pick this up at release.

Well finally got in , did the tutorial. But problem starting a new city also says i only have one hour to build a city. Guess we are testing the demo client like in the D3 beta. Oh well , i will still probably buy it just because im a sheep for these games. Bought all the Sims3 packs/expansions and dont even touch them. Gotta be some sort of mind control going on there.....I guess this is what it feels like to be an Apple fan.

Intropy

Shit Gamer
Got the beta, was really excited to try it, but Origin is telling me the servers for SimCity are not available or some kind of faggot tree.

Intropy

Shit Gamer
X0uwM.jpg
Dom's screenshot just got real.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah I had that the first time I tried... I just closed the launcher and reopened it 5 minutes later and it worked.

now I have to do some stuff around the house before I can devote my one hour to playing

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It seems like you can play as long as you want, but after an hour, it just puts you right back to the main menu and you have to start over.

First protip I can think of... build medium density streets right away. Don't even bother with low density. You'll be overwhelmed with traffic very quickly and will have to demolish the road to build a new one which will also demolish whatever is built along the road.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
You can upgrade streets and avenues. The only thing you cannot do is change a street into an avenue.

Killjoy_sl

shitlord
They are definitely smaller than the old Sim City. The game really pushes you to specialize your city and trade resources with neighbors so like you would have a town focused on manufacturing and your neighbor has a mining town that can provide resources instead of building everything yourself. They also have these shared zones between towns where multiple people can help build things like international airports, monuments, a space shuttle, etc.

From what I saw, there was quite a bit of space between the towns so perhaps there is a way to expand your borders as you gain population.

Intropy

Shit Gamer
Okay went ahead and played the shit out of this today. Built several different cities, and played through the whole game at max speed to get my city as large as possible within the 1hr limit.

I found that the size limitation was not as bad as I expected compared to the videos, but relative to previous SimCitys it was pretty constraining. While power gaming it at max speed I was able to fill the whole map within about 15minutes. The remaining 45minutes was spent basically just watching the city densify and adding services as needed to support the population growth. I know not everyone will be playing this like StarCraft with 150apm trying to complete your build as fast as possible, but that kind of becomes the mini-game with the one hour time limit on the beta. If you played through a bit more casually without the time constraint you'd probably get a lot more mileage out of it, but I think for serious gamers the small map size is really going to restrict the longevity of the game.

Below are some screenshots of my most recent 1hr playthrough, I was able to get a population of about 55,000 with most of the city at medium density (medium is the max density allowed in the beta).

MLfwCRV.jpg

PGh4tbG.jpg

LVYy5eT.jpg

Aside from the map size issue the game seemed quite polished. The interface and information overlays are all beautiful and intuitive. The agent system they use to simulate all the city systems is fantastic as well. Much more compelling than the simulation engines of the previous games. Being able to expand buildings and make some decisions about where to obtain resources (local vs neighbouring cities) are all nice features that add a bit of depth as well. The detail and graphics also seem quite good, assuming you are into the stylized theme and not looking for something photorealistic.

From the perspective of a fun sandbox you can casually play around in I think this game is going to be fantastic. On the other hand, if you are the kind of person who wants to min-max/power game it then I think you will find a lot to be desired. Even during my first play through I had no difficulty filling up the map with hundreds of thousands of dollars rolling in and happy sims across the board.

asocirev_sl

shitlord
The small map size sucks balls, you can't make a mega city that does everything... From your screens looks like you can connection the side streets to the next map. I'll check this game out I think.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I've played thru twice now. Got to 20,000 pop second time. Need to learn how much room to leave around the various building for upgrades so not building terribly efficient at the moment. Like everyone else the map does feel way too small