SimCity

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
once you are in windowed mode, try changing your resolution in game. It will make the window smaller... if that is what you are trying to do.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Anyone know how to play it windowed without the edge? I tried playing it last night windowed but my windows bar was covering the bottom row of information. Why do games not have windowed max...
I just throw the title bar up on the monitor above my main monitor. I know games usually get mods to add borderless windows.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Anyone else having problems with shared resources within a region last night? Me and a couple friends were playing and while everything worked fine initially, later at night shared resources just absolutely stopped updating. We had one town that had the power plants with like a 450MW surplus, and no one could but more than an extra 100 or so(which was an amount available early on, before a bunch of add-ons were made). I also sent 200K to a friends town so he could build a university there since I was out of room, and the money never arrived, just *poof* gone. We played for 2 more hours after that point and the money never arrived, and I didn't get it back either.

Reading some other forums/sites, some people are theorizing that Maxis turned off resource sharing to reduce server load at some point last night. That's un-fucking-acceptable if true.

Anyone else have issues like that lst night?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah the resource sharing is hit and miss. For now I wouldn't send large sums of money around or make power-plant cities. When it works it also takes a long time to synchronize.

So last night everything finally clicked for me in the game...

Couple days ago I built my first city and filled the entire play space. Ended up with like 112k population of mostly low wealth.

In my 2nd city I decided to work on all of the mechanics on a much smaller scale. I figure if I can get everything going well in a small space, I can probably scale it up.

The new city took up less than 1/3 of the play space. Just a strip down the right side of the map. Once it was initially zoned and populated I think I was around 1.5k or so. Since then I haven't added anything extra and that same amount of land has increased to over 20k population. I have 1 police station with 1 car upgrade, 1 clinic, and 1 fire station with no upgrades handling the entire population. I've seen almost no crime or fires.

Still tons of places to improve. I sort of wanna smash 70% of it and start it over with much better zoning/road placement.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Is there an optimum park placement? If you do normal road spacing, putting a park in at the rear limits high-rises due to space problems. I've just been scattering low, med, and high $ parks throughout my residential areas, but have no idea how many I actually need or ideal placement.

All I did was place parks with the land value map data on. You can see how it impacts the land ( $$ or $$$ ) and bulldzone it and replace it somewhere else. In-fact I spend a shit ton of time looking at that graph. If you want high-rises then you need to place parks in a way that doesn't limit high rise spacing. Its probably better to put 2 parks next to each other ( taking up the space where 1 high-rises would be ) instead of 2 spread parks taking up the space 2 high-rises would be.

This morning at breakfast I was designing a road/zone/park placement that wouldn't prevent high rises and be more optimal about park placement and limit intersections, on paper. I'll try it out and see how it goes.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Optimal builds are elusive when half the game doesn't work, but I was very impressed with the coverage given by the large $$ nature parks that you can unlock regionally. Placing one will literally improve happiness across half the map, around 3 times the circumference indicated by the green circle when placing it.

I'm also questioning whether placing grade schools is worth it. It seems like high schools without grade schools might be better. One thing is for sure, educated sims make your city much better and I can't imagine a good residential city without education.

@intropy, what is the benefit of your curving the avenues at the corners instead of having a corner with no intersections? Does that corner somehow count as an intersection?

Flight

Molten Core Raider
9AM PST :

rrr_img_16661.jpg

Weekend is going to be a shit storm.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I gave up trying to start a sandbox region to mess around with this morning on NA East 1 and NA East 2 after about an hour and a half.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Man reading this thread depresses me. I see a lot of good stuff in this game that would probably have got me to overcome my suspicions on Origin, and even to forgive the always on DRM and small city sizes ... if only the damn game worked. I think the biggest fail was not in having an offline mode where people could at least play while the servers were fucked up.

This game might be a worthwhile buy sometime in the future when they've finally got their shit together. Tell me, how is it with Origin sales compared to Steam sales?

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
I tried single road last night and it worked well until I decided to add a stadium, which then broke the flow because every car decided to use it as a turn around. That really shouldn't happen when there isnt an event happening, flow restored after I deleted it. So certain buildings will have to be left to the absolute end of the line. Still a lot screwy bugs to deal with.
P.S played on cheetah speed in sandbox mode, they re-enabled it? or does not affect sandbox?

Goonsquad Officer
so...when the servers shit out, can you not export? I'm sitting on huge piles of ore and coal and i can't seem to unlock the damn metal HQ.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I tried single road last night and it worked well until I decided to add a stadium, which then broke the flow because every car decided to use it as a turn around. That really shouldn't happen when there isnt an event happening, flow restored after I deleted it. So certain buildings will have to be left to the absolute end of the line. Still a lot screwy bugs to deal with.
P.S played on cheetah speed in sandbox mode, they re-enabled it? or does not affect sandbox?
I hope they re-enabled cheetah.

Re: turning around: Did you see this?
http://i.imgur.com/iWJhc3Y.jpg

You may be able to alleviate the problem with a scattering of 'turn around road nubs'.