SimCity

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Does anyone else go out of their way tonotpurchase EA games? Or at least think twice before purchasing one?
After this Sim City debacle, I'm pirating every EA game that I want to play for the rest of my life. Fuck em, they aren't getting another cent from me. I'm a huge sports gamer on consoles(it's the only reason I even bought a 360, as a primarily PC gamer), and they've basically run Madden and NCAA football into the ground with the lack of competition with their monopoly on the licenses. Fuck EA in every possible way.

W

Wrathcaster

Unrelated to any of the discussion right now, and this may have been mentioned before, but has EA/Maxis ever explained why terraforming was never implemented? Its removal alone was reason enough for me not to buy this one, even if all the other bullshit hadn't tagged along with the game- terraforming/terrain molding was probably my favorite aspect of the Simcity series... Nothing quite so cool as designing an archipelago island city with tons of bridges, or a dormant volcano city, or any other number of interesting combinations. Added an aspect of near infinite replayability. What was the excuse for the removal of this iconic feature?

Intropy

Shit Gamer
Unrelated to any of the discussion right now, and this may have been mentioned before, but has EA/Maxis ever explained why terraforming was never implemented? Its removal alone was reason enough for me not to buy this one, even if all the other bullshit hadn't tagged along with the game- terraforming/terrain molding was probably my favorite aspect of the Simcity series... Nothing quite so cool as designing an archipelago island city with tons of bridges, or a dormant volcano city, or any other number of interesting combinations. Added an aspect of near infinite replayability. What was the excuse for the removal of this iconic feature?
They never even finished programming the basic simulation, so it isn't surprising to see that "extra" features like terraforming are not included in the game. The core game is basically alpha quality with release level graphics and interface tacked on.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
I don't buy games when i see EA is involved either. My last mistake was battlefield 3. It was fun for about 50~ hours, then I realized how closed down it was to community improvement and how they would never really improve on the product. every EA game suffers from this.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Bold is mine. Something that has plagued the game since before release is just how worthless industrial zoning is because commercial doesn't actually need any manufacturing.

Update 6 Changes Currently in Testing

We are testing changes to how RCI works in the game in response to feedback directly from our players. The main goals are to make Industrial matter more and make sure the demand bars inform players what they should zone.

?New: RCI Tuning - Tuning to make Industrial needed more. Commercial buildings lose profit if they don?t have enough freight. The demand bars should feel like they inform the player what they should zone.
? New: RCI height variations for Density 3 Buildings. This will add more variety to the look of your cities.
? New: Borderless windowed mode setting.
? Fixes for some issues of the ?out of money? problem or unexplained abandonment.
? Clarity around unfilled jobs and workers to make sure players are messaged that there may be an issue where workers cannot get to unfilled jobs.
? Residential and Commercial buildings are now more consistently in the same wealth in an area of a particular land value. Improves visually consistency.
? Help Wanted, no Shoppers, and No Jobs alerts have been added to the Zoning info panel as alerts.
? Data Layer: Greater map accuracy on the land value map. Residential and Commercial wealth colors added. Abandoned buildings show up red.
? Data Layer: Land Value map shows when placing parks.
? Fixed issue where RCI sometimes builds on roads.
? Fix performance slowdown in cities with more than one million tourists.
? UI Clarity: Show which city hall modules are already placed in the region on the palette UI.
? Garbage UI: fixed issue where garbage UI sometimes showed bins that had already been picked up.
? Gifting: Cash gifts will send to another city even if a player leaves the gifting city before seeing gift confirmation.

Daedricdigger_sl

shitlord
Damn you EA!!! I refuse to pay money for your DLCs which should have been in the full game. I really enjoyed Simcity and have played frequently since launch despite it not being close to what it could have been. But I don't want to even play anymore since I feel like I am missing out on needed content (airships and amusement parks) which should have been free. I should sacrifice a llama every day until the game is fixed, but the once mighty Maxis gods are dead and aren't listening to my prayers.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I got on test the other day, and I don't think that the changes I quoted are active on test atm. The game seemed to have plenty of the same issues with service vehicles and unfilled jobs as the last time I played. I saw 6 buses following each other around for at least a half hour. My city's pop capped out at 50k or so with medium density, and I had like 2000 unfilled jobs, so I did high density to my residential and half of my commercial getting up to 100k pop and 25,000 unfilled jobs.

At no point did I need to adhere to RCI. I built houses when all I had was houses, and I got new people. I built commercial without industrial and it ran fine. Despite my industrial RCI being in heavy demand the entire game my industrial sector continually had issues selling freight and finding enough workers despite being the smallest fraction of the city.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Filled out a survey the other day that mentioned teraforming, subways, larger or unrestricted landmasses among other things.

Edit: related article -http://m.pcgamer.com/2013/07/05/leaked-simcity-survey-hints-at-some-potential-futures-including-offline-mode

W

Wrathcaster

Why do they even need to do a survey to know those things should have been in the game? Fucking idiots, it's the same goddamn features that were in every other Simcity game. Of course people wanted that, any idiot who has read a single review or comment on the game knows people have been screaming for this since beta. I know it's leaked, and it probably won't come to fruition for ages, but it seems to me they're just pulling this shit to try and keep people somewhat interested. I think it's beginning to dawn on them finally that they essentially ruined Simcity and dicked over what amounts to some of the most dedicated fans of any series in gaming, and are realizing that popping in DLC and some shit-pitiful patches aren't going to redeem the bundle of failure that they've produced.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I can't help but think that EA knew this survey would leak, and then people would be happy since it looks like EA is listening to them, but it's really more the opposite:

"We don't know if they really want all these features they've been saying that want, so let's put out a survey to ask them if they want all the things they've been telling us they want!"

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Damn you EA!!! I refuse to pay money for your DLCs which should have been in the full game. I really enjoyed Simcity and have played frequently since launch despite it not being close to what it could have been. But I don't want to even play anymore since I feel like I am missing out on needed content (airships and amusement parks) which should have been free. I should sacrifice a llama every day until the game is fixed, but the once mighty Maxis gods are dead and aren't listening to my prayers.
Well all should have known that EA will nickel and dime everyone to death with Sim City DLC/expansions. It's a shame what they have turned Maxis into...
url.jpg