Sin City: A Dame To Kill For

Disp_sl

shitlord
thought it was very mediocre, only parts i liked was Marv and early story with JGL. Green being naked over and over doesnt make it a good movie. What was the point of Stacy Keach, his character was pointless and that entire story dragged from the start.
That's what I thought. It started out really good, but the Eva Green/Josh Brolin arc (which was like 2/3 of the movie) was pretty dull other than Eva's tits. Marv and JGL parts I really liked though, and thought they were similar quality as most of the first film. Also, Powers Boothe is such a badass. I love every role I've seen him in.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
ugh i always get powers boothe mixed up with stacy keach. yeah powers booth is fucking awesome. he nailed roark.

Disp_sl

shitlord
Never understood why he hasn't been in more high profile movies. He has such a commanding presence on screen and is plays such a great badass/villain.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i think because he never caught on in hollywood in his younger days. yeah he got plenty of work, but not too many big budget roles. fav movie for me is Southern Comfort. i think i saw that film a few dozen times back in the 80s.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Besides the boring ass Brolin shit, what was the point of the 2 detectives they were worthless a long with Keach's character. movie had a ton of fat

Szlia

In a way the change in actors kinda works, because the character also changed. Brolin is the hardened version of Owen.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Saw this film the other day. Was good, but not as good as the first film. The different plots didn't seem to overlap well enough. I especially feel Gordon-Levit's plot was out of place, or didn't seem to fit well with the rest of the film. It was still worth it just to see Eve Green nude. Shit, I think she must have been nude more than she was clothed in this film. Not that I'm complaining!

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Saw this film the other day. Was good, but not as good as the first film. The different plots didn't seem to overlap well enough. I especially feel Gordon-Levit's plot was out of place, or didn't seem to fit well with the rest of the film. It was still worth it just to see Eve Green nude. Shit, I think she must have been nude more than she was clothed in this film. Not that I'm complaining!
Totally agree on Gordon-Levit's plot, when it ended I couldn't really see the point at all. He's trying to get back at Roark but in probably the most retarded way possible. You could have cut that entire piece out and the movie would have been better for it. I also didn't feel Brolin really pulled off Dwight, maybe it's nostalgia but I thought Owen did a way better job. He just seemed out of place.

You could really feel the passion in the first Sin City and this one just lacked it, like it was phoned in.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
there is an expiration date on most sequels. you gotta do the sequels right after the success of the first movie . if you wait and do different next project then another then years later you come back to the sequel (probably because you ran out of ideas or are hard up) it tends to show in the finished product. star wars 1-3. indy4, The Hobbit, Sin City 2 and the Schumacher Batman movies come to mind.

the only film i can think of where the sequel was delayed 20 years and was fucking awesome was Rambo 4. i think that movie did so well because Rambo was stallone's struggle to get back in the industry after getting the boot for being too old. he almost succeeded with Rocky 6, but the film was just not so hot. not OMFG rambo is killing everything OMFG! epic awesome that rambo 4 was.

Disp_sl

shitlord
Aliens and Terminator 2 were 7 or 8 years after the original and did fine. This is more of a niche movie though that really needed to capitalize on the momentum and buzz the original created though. There were too many films stylized similar that bombed in the last couple years though.

Szlia

[...] he almost succeeded with Rocky 6, but the film was just not so hot. not OMFG rambo is killing everything OMFG! epic awesome that rambo 4 was.
Rambo 4 was fun in its over-the-top-ness, but Rocky Balboa is a masterpiece, a film that seemingly emerged from a time machine. In fact I ranked it third of the movies I saw in 2007 (first was Lu Ye's Summer Palace, 2nd was Linklater's Fast Food Nation, 4th The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and 5th The Bourne Ultimatum).

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Aliens and Terminator 2 were 7 or 8 years after the original and did fine. This is more of a niche movie though that really needed to capitalize on the momentum and buzz the original created though. There were too many films stylized similar that bombed in the last couple years though.
t2 and aliens are both cameron films. im not saying he is the best director of all time, but he knows his shit. that being said, t2 went from being a dark science fiction flick to a shootem up action packed spectacle and aliens went from a claustrophobic horror movie set in space to a shootem up action packed spectacle. both movies were awesome, but both movies were focused more on pacing than terror. i wouldnt classify t2 as a scary movie or even aliens although there were some scary scenes in it.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Rambo 4 is so boring comparing to the other previous movies, only the part when he starts blasting the whole burmese army is good imo

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i'm gonna get comic book like,

the reason the stories with JGL and alba/roake were out of place was cuz it wasn't material from the comics, it was stories that millar wrote for the movie.

frank miller doing films sucks.

Sure he put the dark knight in batman, but if he is involved in a film, his shit stinks.

robocop 2 and 3 original miller script is horrible, both of them have been put in comic book form, and it's dog shit, really out of a 10 rating, i give both comic adaptations of his original robo 2 and 3 scripts 2 out of 10. (Frank Millers Robocop/Robocop Last stand)

Then of course, The Spirit (basically /thread with that garbage, a 2 out of 10 movie) he directed riding on the accolades of Sin City.

For me lightning doesn't strike twice for Miller

The Dark Knight Returns - Go ahead Miller get all that fame, it's a great book.

The Dark Knight Strikes Again - wtf is this dog shit we waited 15 years for?

Siliconemelons

the only film i can think of where the sequel was delayed 20 years and was fucking awesome was Rambo 4. i think that movie did so well because Rambo was stallone's struggle to get back in the industry after getting the boot for being too old. he almost succeeded with Rocky 6, but the film was just not so hot. not OMFG rambo is killing everything OMFG! epic awesome that rambo 4 was.
Rambo 4 and Rocky Balboa where really, really awesome movies both- and are examples of long delay sequel's that not only grab the entire old audience but actually bring in new audience. Rocky was able to side step the "look I own robots" path and really get the feel of the orig while addressing new material- the same with Rambo 4 it was like Rocky almost a perfect model of a movie and well touching on the entire history of the past movies. Rambo 1 was a lot of Rambo wondering around the forest/jungle until he has to "go Rambo" etc.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
just posting about rambo 4 is making me want to watch it again. i saw it twice in a row at the movie theater. oh well time to pop in my copy.
-edit
yep, still awesome

spronk

FPS noob
blu ray rips are out. saw it, visually pretty stunning but the stories themselves (3 vignettes) were not very good. one was flat out bad, one wasn't very good but had lots of naked eva green to balance it out, and one was ok but jessica alba had to carry it and she can't act and won't get naked so kinda fizzled.

worth a watch while playing a game or something i guess, middle 45 minutes is pretty boring but the last 15 minutes has some cool action sequences