Sin City: A Dame To Kill For

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I like the whole noir style, it is something you don't see anymore so that alone makes it distinct.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I hate 3D but this gave depth to the environment ect. (only other film I thought the 3d was worth a damn was Avatar) it didnt bother me at all and loved it. I wouldnt mide seeing the 3D again but not spend 15+ a ticket. I had a buzz watching it so maybe the headache I normally get got countered /shrug.

as for theatre 3D films I have only heard praise for
Train your Dragon
Coraline (I think)
GOTG
The last judge dred movie made really good use of 3d and did it well.

Rathgar_sl

shitlord
It always tickled me that in a R rated movie with plenty of boobs, they go and hire a woman that won't show her boobs while playing a stripper. There's plenty of good looking women that would have showed the goods in this part. Never understood that.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Marketing for this was terrible. I remember seeing bullshit about the first film everywhere for months prior to opening. This thread and a poster at the theater when I went to see GotG is about all I can think of for this. I didn't even realize it had come out until I heard it bombed on opening weekend.

Column_sl

shitlord
I watched this again recently, and I actually love this film. It's just as good as the first.

Some stuff is not for everyone, but they made these 2 films for me at least.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Some minor spoilers ahead if you haven't seen it.

I saw this, but my friend and I walked out feeling like it just wasn't as good as the first. We were having a hard time explaining why, but I think it's because it just felt very run of the mill. The first one had some light 'comic book' style stuff that helped make it seem like fiction bordering on surreal reality. This one just felt like stylized reality. Almost everything in this one could happen in the real world. It didn't have a comic book feel, just an overly monotone noir feel, where every character feels the need to stretch out their monologues.

There was also very little comic relief, or even non-serious moments to break up the overly serious male characters.

Gordon-Levitt's character and story didn't even make sense to me. He was setup as someone with luck on his side and/or a backup plans to his backup plans. Then, he gets punked like a bitch.. twice. I kept waiting for him to go 'ha ha! Gotcha! I planned this all along!'

Nancy's story was weak, partially due to Alba's acting. It just felt.. off. Hard to explain. I'd say it didn't seem believable, but none of the characters are super believable, but yet they work in that world. Marv, for example, is a super human of durability and strength, but you 'buy' it and it seems believable inside the world they've created.

Other then Marv and Manute, we didn't have any 'super human' characters this time. At least in the first movie, Frodo(kevin), Marv, Manute, Yellow Bastard and even Bishop Roark are surreal and in the realistic end of comic book style abilities. Whether it's strength, intelligence or pure evilness. Them being so over the top is what sells the style of the film. We didn't have enough of that this time around.

Column_sl

shitlord
Enzie you might want to spoiler some of that, especially the Levitt part. That's more then a minor spoiler.

Since that's not even in the Books, I would be pretty pissed If I read it before watching the movie.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I feel like the pacing was all kinds of fuck in this movie. Sin City (1) felt tight, this felt like a lot of scenes needed to be cut or shortened.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Did Frank Miller have a bigger role in Directing this one? I feel like the first one would have had more Rodriguez and Tarantino def didn't hurt. Also the first movie was a shot for shot frm the novels, didn't A dame to kill for have a bunch of rewrites and screenwriters? The stuff with Levitt and Even Jessica alba wasn't in the comics correct?

Column_sl

shitlord
Some of the Alba stuff was a hodge podge of ideas from the comic, the Levitt stuff was new.

Rodriguez pretty much helped Frank with the second movie, so essentially it's a Rodriguez film. Tarantino barely did anything on the first movie, but his scenes were the best in that film.
Talking to the decapitated head etc.

The film isn't as close to being all over the place as the Spirit, so you can tell Rodriguez crew guided it pretty much.

Dame to kill for was pretty much a shot for shot with the comic as far as I remember. I haven't read those books in awhile tho.
They even put that short story were Marv goes on a rampage I believe called Silent Night.

It's not as over the top as the first film, but I liked that is was a smaller, and more un assuming film.

Homsar

Just briefly reading up and seeing stuff from films like this

Sin City
The film was noted throughout production for Rodriguez's plan to stay faithful to the source material, unlike most other comic book adaptations. Rodriguez stated that he considered the film to be "less of an adaptation than a translation".[7] As a result, there is no screenwriting in the credits; simply "Based on the graphic novels by Frank Miller". There were several minor changes, such as dialogue trimming, new colorized objects, removal of some nudity, slightly edited violence, and minor deleted scenes. These scenes were later added in the release of the Sin City Collectors DVD, which also split the books into the four separate stories.
A Dame To Kill For
One of the smaller plots of the film is based on the short story "Just Another Saturday Night", which is collected in Booze, Broads, & Bullets, the sixth book in the comic series. Two original stories ("The Long Bad Night" and "Nancy's Last Dance") were created exclusively for the film written by Miller.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I think I read somewhere that QT did that one scene in the first movie because RR wanted him to try out digital film.

The Hateful 8 teaser was shown during the previews and ended with something like "shot in glorious 70mm" which I kinda chuckled since this was the preview for his buddy's digital film.

Homsar

Its been a while but what scene was it QT directed? for some reason I alway say was Yellow Bastard but it didn't really seem like his style

Column_sl

shitlord
I know for sure he did the one where Clive Owen is having an open Dialouge with Benicio del Toro's severed head. It reeks of QT

As much as I liked these 2 film's I would have loved to have seen a complete QT version of it.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The trailer for this movie was downright bad. But the consensus here is it's worth watching?

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Meh. Aside from GotG, what else are you gonna see this week?

TMNT?
Expendables 3?
Pretty much its the best of whats currently in the theaters after guardians of the galaxies. The first sin city was better but if you are in a noir mood this will scratch that itch.