Situations at work thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Omi43221

Trakanon Raider
My Assistant has applied to be my Manager.

I saw this happen in government but it was someone working under a manger that applied and got the position over someone else.
Was glorious to see the turn about. Especially since the original manager was a complete ass.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I saw this happen in government but it was someone working under a manger that applied and got the position over someone else.
Was glorious to see the turn about. Especially since the original manager was a complete ass.

That happened to my aunt in government. There was this little douchebag who was a relative of someone who mattered I guess, and he got hired in some low level position under my aunt. All he'd do was dick around all day, and everyone in the office got fed up with his laziness and started being assholes to him. Fast forward a few years and nepotism led to him moving into a supervisory position to my aunt and all the other people who were assholes to him before.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
To add another situation to the mix that recently came up at work:

I was recently given some semi-managerial duties, and one of them consists of critiquing the work of several people who are technically in the same level of job as me. One of these people (an older woman) went to my boss all in a huff when she found out I'd be critiquing her work, claiming that someone my age (early 30s) and my amount of experience (8 years) has no right to critique the work of her, who is in her 50s and has been doing the job for 30 years.

iannis

Musty Nester
Office politics. Your manager ain't the smoothest.

What he should do is ask everyone to critque everyone elses work on a voluntary basis, and then only pay attention to yours.

At least then lady doesn't get her feathers ruffled. And since it's voluntary everyone ignores it. Except you, who are told that it's mando-tary.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yes. Specifically here we critique their overall performance. Whatever that means

Holy god, if that isn't an open invitation to office drama and open violence between coworkers, I don't know what is.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
My boss is getting demoted and will join my team.
I'm applying to replace him.

This will be interesting.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
This may sound stupid and obvious but I swear some folks don’t get that there is as difference between a deodorant and an antiperspirant.

Don’t buy a deodorant, don’t buy an antiperspirant.

BUY THE ONE THAT IS BOTH, it’s the same price !

the aluminum zirconium or whatever the fuck in antiperspirant stains shirts. i just use deodorant. works for me though

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
the aluminum zirconium or whatever the fuck in antiperspirant stains shirts. i just use deodorant. works for me though
Oxyclean works wonder for those stains. If it's real bad, scrub it in with a toothbrush before tossing the shirt in the washer. Comes out good as new.

Omi43221

Trakanon Raider
Just as an update I did talk to the big guy. We have frequent visitors to our site and other employees approached me privately and told me I had to do something. Before that I had input into his review and I put some stuff in it that I thought was helpful but not so direct that it would be insulting. Although he hasn't seen that yet and things came to a head so I just had to up and have the conversation with him. So situation seems better, I suppose the biggest thing that surprised me is he was totally unaware. I mean we had our talk and like 60 seconds later he shows up in my office " What are you trying to say?" I was like " I'm saying you need to wear longer shirts to work." . Just had absolutely no clue anyone about his appearance.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

and causes alzheimers. I use this alu free deodorant even if technically it's for women, the smell is fairly gender neutral Products

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Work for the Fed, guy at my job consistently goes to the bathroom and is on his phone in the shitter for at least 45-1 hour per day. Mens bathroom only contains two stalls, so when you walk in and hear absolutely no noise, you know it's him...sitting, waiting. You are allowed two 15 minute breaks apart from your lunch, guy takes on the regular.. 20-35 minute breaks. Management is aware of this and I've brought it up in my own PACS reviews. I'm simply told to talk with him about it (I'm non-management btw). Everyone in the office is aware of this stool master time waster bater.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Got a little situation of my own, let me know if I haven't swapped out all the British words:

I'm a substitute math teacher at a high school. I like to bounce around different schools to avoid the planning, marking and data collection burden of the job and not get worn down by badly behaved children. However I care about my job and I will take on responsibility for long term contracts, so the school I joined in September liked me and kept me on full time for the entire year. Because it's one of the first good schools I've worked it, I was happy to do all the planning/marking/data though it was hard given a 90 minute commute each way.

So they finally advertise my job this month and since it's going well I apply for it. I worked really fucking hard on the interview lesson and I interview really well somehow for an nerdy introvert, so I got the job. They scheduled the interview for the same day as parent's evening for the 14 year olds, for the first time in my career I have 100% attendance and have 32 appointments actually turn up. A few grill me on homework, the one badly behaved student in the class and why their child is under performing (they are put into classes based on ability, so I have the 60th to 90th best students in the year group out of about 120), I thought it went OK considering my migraine from interview stress.

At the end of the next day, the final day before a week break, I'm called into the principal's office and told that they had three 'independent' complaints about me at parents evening and are withdrawing the job offer due to potential professional misconduct (lying to parents), which they can do since the offer was provisional based on getting good references and they are counting themselves as a reference. The principal wouldn't hear my side as "I'm just the messenger" and I had to search the school for the head of maths and the year group to explain my side so I wouldn't get fired for lying.

I fucked up not having a detailed spreadsheet with the homeworks I set on it, then giving some students bad reports for homework based on what I could find in their books and bad test results pointing to poor effort on revision. I had also set some homework which just read "revise for X test" which doesn't leave a paper trail so the parents thought I didn't set any. I knew it was a problem, admitted that to parents (so I lied how?) and told every parent I am going to set homeworks on a website in future so it's tracked better and they can see themselves what has been set. Apparently I didn't explain it very well after working a 13+ hour day with an interview, not being prepared properly because all my prep time that week went into the interview.

So I've spent my weeks break making a detailed homework spreadsheet and making sure the books are marked up to date. I've no idea if they are going to tell me on Monday that I'm fired or what they will do about the complaints. Looks like I'll be maintaining spreadsheets and marked books if they keep me on and not spending as much time planning quality lessons!

Anyone know any alternative careers which use a postgraduate degree in teaching Mathematics and 6 years teaching experience? It makes you REALLY good at Microsoft Office(Powerpoint and Excel). I also have an undergraduate degree in Computing but I can only really read code, I sucked at it.

Last edited: