Skiing, east coast

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, a good boot fitter is paramount. The worst part about skiing is the boots. Just got back from doing a 20km ski tour yesterday, and my fucking feet are killing me. And those are actually halfway decent fitting boots. There's just no avoiding foot pain, unfortunately.

Boots are generally sized in Mondo sizes. You'd probably be around a 28 or 29, I think. As far as the boots fitting your bindings, so long as they're an alpine, DIN compatible boot they should work with any alpine bindings. However some bindings may only be able to adjust to handle so big of a boot. My Marker Duke bindings for example have a small and large version, depending on your boot length. But the front and back pieces to the binding are one solid piece since it converts to a touring binding. Most bindings the front and back are separate pieces, so there wouldn't be two different versions. Depending on how they were set up initially, it's possible the bindings would have to be remounted if the person prior to you had giant or tiny feet. You're probably fairly safe since you have a pretty average sized foot.

As far as Big P's skis go, you're probably going to want something in the 175-180cm range given your height, weight and ability. If you're skiing East Coast, then you don't need to worry much about getting super fat skis. You're probably going to want something that holds an edge well and isn't much more than 90-95 mm underfoot.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Good info, thanks. Only thing to figure out now is what my theme color is going to be

Picasso3

Got 174cm k2 apache crossfires for 190 shipped. I really thought used ones would be cheaper but any that looked like they could pull any ass were 150 min

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Those look like a great deal for the price. You may want longer eventually but they will be super controllable for you, just keep them sharp and go easy on the wax if it's super icy.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
I've got Atomic Blackeyes and love them. I dont get to go nearly as much as I'd like but they're plenty good enough for a firmly intermediate skier like myself who doesn't go off piste, or at least not intentionally
tongue.png
I'm 5'10" and 180 and I've got the 174cm and they seem right to me.

I'd definitely agree on the boots thing though. I felt a bit of a dick trying on so many, and in different shops due to brand availability, but when I tried on the ones I own the difference was night and day, even before customising with differing insoles etc. I have coincidentally Atomic boots but the Salomon ones in particular fucking crippled me.

edit: To add about boots, this seems counter-intuitive but I found with the proper ski socks my boots were uncomfortable after a few runs. When I wear simple, thin and knee length merino wool socks my feet don't go numb or cold. This is probably as the fancy padding in ski socks presses on a particular point of my shins and reduces the blood flow to my feet, making them sore and cold. So swapping socks can make a difference when fine tuning a fit.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I have some Vokyl 5 stars that I bought probably 10 years ago at this point. I love them. Such a nice ski.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
edit: To add about boots, this seems counter-intuitive but I found with the proper ski socks my boots were uncomfortable after a few runs. When I wear simple, thin and knee length merino wool socks my feet don't go numb or cold. This is probably as the fancy padding in ski socks presses on a particular point of my shins and reduces the blood flow to my feet, making them sore and cold. So swapping socks can make a difference when fine tuning a fit.
Yeah, I've always had problems with numb feet, and personally have had the best luck with extremely thin socks.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Don't want to hijack this thread, but can't find a blanket skiing thread. So, I go skiing once every few years typically in Telluride. My buddies parents have a place there so it's free of charge, and with my brother in Durango it made for an easy side trip. My wife has never been to the mountains before (not proper mountains anyway) and wants to go skiing. I'd also like to go someplace I've never been before (so that rules out most of Colorado & California).

Anyone have experience w/ Aspen/Snomass, Park City/Deer Valley, Whistler and can shoot me in the right direction? Whistler is the farthest, but also by far the cheapest of the 3. Also it seems pretty cool and it's in a place I've never been nor really ever considered going. Aspen is a quintessential mountain town, but it's a bitch to get out there in the winter sometimes (and expensive). Park City is close and basically in SLC - a little cheaper than Aspen but not much and a good deal more expensive than Whistler. This isn't a $$ decision I'm just looking for a spot I know she'll have a good time when she eventually tires of the slopes!

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Having a 'good time' is waaay to vague to make any specific suggestions. Is a good time eating out at chuck or rama, an expensive restaurant, going shopping, playing Friday night MTG in a card shop? Park City offers shopping at expensive stores or outlet stores (ie tanger outlet etc). My ski coat that cost $1000+ was only available at Christy Sports in Deer Valley(Park City) and the SLC store didn't carry as high end items (Still nice $600 type stuff though) The Park City area in general caters to a more affluent crowd and offers a lot of upscale places in a small convenient area. Not that you have to go to those places but in general its going to be more expensive and this is the area most celebrities go to.

The SLC area offers a lot high end places too. Last night I had dinner hereLa Caille - 9565 Wasatch Blvd, Sandy, UT, 84092
(Not SLC but 15 min away) at the mouth of little cottonwood canyon(the Snowbird/Alta ski resorts are 10 min away). Plenty of other nice places in the SLC area too. The bonus for SLC is that since it isn't a resort town, you aren't paying resort town prices for everything. You can stay in the SLC valley area and still ski at Park City/Deer valley with a 30-45 min drive and the little/big cottonwood resorts in 15-30 min.

Skiing wise Deer Valley is famous for their corderoy grooming. It is #1 rated in the US the last few years. So its great for new skiers and offers more of a groomed experience even durring large snow dumps where other areas will get rough and easy runs become a bit harder but you will pay for it with the price of the ticket compared to other resorts. Something like $120 vs 70-90 a ticket. Alta being the total opposite and letting the terrain stay more natural and ungroomed in general. Not that it can't be a bad place for a new skier, its where I learned =p I just don't think it would be as enjoyable during a big storm for a new skier. Snow wise Deer Valley/Park City/Canyons don't get as much snow as the resorts in Little/Big CottonWood canyons.

If you don't get a ticket package never buy a lift ticket from the resort. Go to a Smiths Grocery store or a ski store like Sports Authority and save $20 a ticket.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Having a 'good time' is waaay to vague to make any specific suggestions. Is a good time eating out at chuck or rama, an expensive restaurant, going shopping, playing Friday night MTG in a card shop? Park City offers shopping at expensive stores or outlet stores (ie tanger outlet etc). My ski coat that cost $1000+ was only available at Christy Sports in Deer Valley(Park City) and the SLC store didn't carry as high end items (Still nice $600 type stuff though) The Park City area in general caters to a more affluent crowd and offers a lot of upscale places in a small convenient area. Not that you have to go to those places but in general its going to be more expensive and this is the area most celebrities go to.

The SLC area offers a lot high end places too. Last night I had dinner hereLa Caille - 9565 Wasatch Blvd, Sandy, UT, 84092
(Not SLC but 15 min away) at the mouth of little cottonwood canyon(the Snowbird/Alta ski resorts are 10 min away). Plenty of other nice places in the SLC area too. The bonus for SLC is that since it isn't a resort town, you aren't paying resort town prices for everything. You can stay in the SLC valley area and still ski at Park City/Deer valley with a 30-45 min drive and the little/big cottonwood resorts in 15-30 min.

Skiing wise Deer Valley is famous for their corderoy grooming. It is #1 rated in the US the last few years. So its great for new skiers and offers more of a groomed experience even durring large snow dumps where other areas will get rough and easy runs become a bit harder but you will pay for it with the price of the ticket compared to other resorts. Something like $120 vs 70-90 a ticket. Alta being the total opposite and letting the terrain stay more natural and ungroomed in general. Not that it can't be a bad place for a new skier, its where I learned =p I just don't think it would be as enjoyable during a big storm for a new skier. Snow wise Deer Valley/Park City/Canyons don't get as much snow as the resorts in Little/Big CottonWood canyons.

If you don't get a ticket package never buy a lift ticket from the resort. Go to a Smiths Grocery store or a ski store like Sports Authority and save $20 a ticket.
Cheers for this, Deer Valley looks great so on such a short trip (5 nights) it's between that and Aspen I think. Just need to decide now - stuff like food bars etc are every bit as important as the powder as wife may not even like skiing! Having never been to Park City I'm leaning that way, but Aspen still hard to beat.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Honestly, if you are going skiing, and have not done Summit County, I dunno wtf to tell you (Unless you are a jackass that grew up at Jackson Hole etc).

Aspen skiing is "ok". Not stellar. The city is "ok".

That being said, if you have been skiing forever, and never done Jackson Hole . . . well . . . thats my recommendation for you. Or Taos if you are a beast (which I am not. Lol)

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Some of the best runs I've ever had are the Hobacks at Jackson Hole after a big snow dump. One thing I like there is that you get a lot of non stop vertical where Utah resorts you often get some vertical then some flats then more vertical.

Picasso3

Well I'm up at snowshoe, had a good day and didn't wreck, like the skis. My boots however are barely too small for my bindings. I went up a size for today and it wasn't bad but i think I'll just pay 80 bucks to have the bindings redone

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Cannon's a good mountain if you don't mind how cold it can get up there. Decent glade skiing. Has pretty nice views of the Notch. Also 1+ on Killington.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
My wife and daughter leave for a trip up to Sugarloaf, Maine in another 10 days. Unfortunately, I'm not able to attend the trip this year. Oh well =/

Boloboy

Bronze Knight of the Realm
West coat but in lake louis if anyonwants cheap passes let me know. Only here another month then moving to revelstoke.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Was up at SunPeaks on the Headwalls, caught an edge. Snow isn't always soft
frown.png
Shit bro, that sucks. Ignore my post in the other thread. Hope it heals okay.

If it makes you feel better I was cat skiing last weekend after the Revelstoke area got a 1-2 foot dump. So boner inducing.