Skyrim

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
This one, he should have dubbed in a "Skyrim belongs to the Nords!" before he swings

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
When someone slaps you with a 5 foot long board is their footware a big concern? "No officer I didn't notice what color hair, height, clothes or anything else, but he was bare foot." I would have shot him but seemed pretty unfair to shoot a barefoot guy in the woods.

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
This one, he should have dubbed in a "Skyrim belongs to the Nords!" before he swings

image.png

• 8Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 8 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Skyrim gets a lot of deserved shit for the 100 different editions and every different platform. They have milked this thing more than any other game, ever...but holy shit is it an incredible product. I fired it up for the first time in 10 years on Game Pass X/S and I had forgot how much quality content and story depth there was here. It suckered me back in to another playthrough.

I think of the gaming industry as incremental, one generation building on the last generation to continually get better. But what we have gotten for the last 10 years really is inferior to the GTA 5 & Skyrim era. The Witcher 3 was the only game in that time that I believe took what Skyrim did and made it just a notch better. Skyrim really feels like a game that was made by developers because they loved what they were making. A lot of other shit in the last decade feels like it was made by a Corporation with an iron fisted Executive producer doling out crunch to a bunch of junior developers right out of school.

I think a lot of Skyrim's staying power is due to the fact that is so incredible. So I applaud that.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Skyrim ain't shit without mods. It had/has staying power because you could play as just anything that offends Big Phoenix.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, they came out just before the Games Industry went full Woke. Oblivion and Morrowind are also amazing if you can take the old graphics and dated interface.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Skyrim gets a lot of deserved shit for the 100 different editions and every different platform. They have milked this thing more than any other game, ever...but holy shit is it an incredible product. I fired it up for the first time in 10 years on Game Pass X/S and I had forgot how much quality content and story depth there was here. It suckered me back in to another playthrough.

I think of the gaming industry as incremental, one generation building on the last generation to continually get better. But what we have gotten for the last 10 years really is inferior to the GTA 5 & Skyrim era. The Witcher 3 was the only game in that time that I believe took what Skyrim did and made it just a notch better. Skyrim really feels like a game that was made by developers because they loved what they were making. A lot of other shit in the last decade feels like it was made by a Corporation with an iron fisted Executive producer doling out crunch to a bunch of junior developers right out of school.

I think a lot of Skyrim's staying power is due to the fact that is so incredible. So I applaud that.
yeah. I was saying this in the "what are you playing thread". possibly why this was bumped, and you gave it a shot too?

I had 100% forgotten how good Skyrim really was. So much content packed into every inch.

Some issues. the UI is shit. clearly consolitis. I remember back in the day there were mods to help with that.
But like, mouse wheel scrolling menus... scrolls windows in the 2nd monitor at the same time.. favorites... can't assign 1-0 directly to weapons/spells.
L/R being L/R mouse, but not left and right hand. so like, left mouse button, is your right hand, and right mouse is your left hand..

E interact with everything. and accidently stealing shit all the time.
R being "give", and also "take all". so, accidently taking everything out of your storage constantly.

The addition of Survival mode is half assed, and poorly designed. much of it is just tacked on, and doesn't incorporate existing systems, like smithing, alch, and enchanting. or spells. no fire spells create heat for example. only flame cloak, protects from cold water.

Sleep. "well rested" should last 8 hours, then start giving fatigue penalties. so, you should be sleeping once a day. but no, "well rested" lasts 2 hours, and then starts giving penalties. you sleep in an inn/or at home, and start taking fatigue penalties by the time you reach any dungeon. its shit.
Especially bad for mages, as fatigue reduces max magicka and regen.
no coffee, or anything. no potions/food, etc. don't think theres portable bedrolls.
waiting doesn't do anything, or sitting either. spend90% of the game with 20-60% fatigue penalty.

heat/cold. they did a decent job with 98% of fires/scounces providing heat. But, no player made campfires. And, gear doesn't provide as much warmth as it should. Especially since they didn't add "fur" to smithing. should let you mod gear with fur to improve warmth instead of armor.
no alch potions for heat. really stupid. no enchanting eitiher. they did add "hot" food.
cold reduces max hp, and stealth/attackspeed.

hunger. tons of food. recipes. most are just way too generic. not enough special effects. easy to keep topped off.

no fast travel outside carriages. ok fine.. but add carriages to Falkreath, winterhold, morthal, dawnstar if you are going to do this...

Last edited:

Talos

I posted a recommendation of mods in the What are you playing? thread. It doesn't take much to fix a lot of the issues, freshen up the game and make it feel modern. The modding community is amazing.

I've "retired" Skyrim multiple times over the years, but mods keep bringing me back.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Give it a try. Take it slow and test frequently, like after every few mods installed. I've had zero CTDs this playthrough by taking my time and carefully reading mod descriptions/install instructions. Use Mod Organizer 2.

Downgrade to 1.6.353. After the essential Unofficial Patch, I highly recommend the "simonrim" mods as a gameplay foundation to build around. Also, True Directional Gameplay, TrueHUD, and Precision by Ershin. And some of DeltaRider's. Then Open World Loot for a loot and encounter overhaul. Together these mods are like "vanilla +" as they freshen up the gameplay without going so far that it becomes ridiculous and unbalanced.

SKYUI, NordicUI + Nordic...ish + Compass Navigation Overhaul + Quick Loot RE for UI.

SMIM, Noble Skyrim, Granite Mountains, Realistic Water 2, and "Cathedral" mods for weather, environment, and landscapes. I don't use any tree mods as vanilla trees look just fine.

Lux, Lux Via, and Lux Orbis for interior/exterior lighting.

JKs Skyrim, Ryn's, and Arthmoor (on AFK mod site) for enhanced but balanced locations.

Unofficial HD Audio Project, The Northern Diaries, Immersive Sounds Compendium, and Audio Overhaul for Skyrim for audio.

AI Overhaul SSE

Conditional Expressions, EVG Animation Variance, Immersive interactions, and UNDERDOG's death animations.

powerofthree, wskeever, johnskyrim, and jayserpa have some great smaller gameplay/realism mods.

Lot of other smaller mods for realism and small gameplay tweaks.

Check for patches between mods. Follow this guide to get leveled lists to work well together.

Run DynDOLOD at the end.
heres his post on that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Talos

One note on that. It's been a while since the most recent official patch, so check which version of Skyrim the mods are compatible with. Authors may have updated their mod(s) to work with the latest version of Skyrim, therefore no reason to do any downgrade patching.

That's probably the most annoying thing with modding. Bethesda releasing a patch out of nowhere and fucking everything up.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Kharzette Kharzette Are you still on Twitch? Was reading slightly earlier in this thread and then realized the posts were from like 2017.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Question for the room: When I play Morrowind (which is soon(tm) ) should I play it with the Skywind mod (or whatever the HD remaster mod is)? Or should I go old school and play it "as intended" with its original look? What about Oblivion?

Like I mentioned somewhere on here, I loved Arena and Daggerfall for what they were, despite the dated graphics, because it felt like looking at a historical artifact. I feel like Morrowind is a similar situation where I should play the original version, warts and all. Skyrim on the other hand is a modern game, so mod away and make it look as good as possible, NP. Oblivion I'm not sure about, since it's in the middle.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Get Flower Girls and bang your way across Skyrim.

• 2Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
They have mod packs now. But requires vortex premium for a month, like $5 or some shit. I mean you can do it without premium and still download the pack but you have to sit there and install each one by one. Last time I played skyrim I used this one...

ITs literally like 2 clicks to install over 400 mods all handpicked to work together. Then just launch from vortex using the script extender exe. I would of course start with a fresh Skyrim download from steam.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
They have mod packs now. But requires vortex premium for a month, like $5 or some shit. I mean you can do it without premium and still download the pack but you have to sit there and install each one by one. Last time I played skyrim I used this one...

ITs literally like 2 clicks to install over 400 mods all handpicked to work together. Then just launch from vortex using the script extender exe. I would of course start with a fresh Skyrim download from steam.
Dont give those sjw retarded fucks a dime.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like