Slay the spire

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
The game is a combination of a card game and a dungeon crawler, currently in early acces.

The way map and combat are presented reminds me of darkest dungeon. Players start out with a basic deck, and have to move through (currently) three floors of dungeons. On each floor a combination of monsters, elites, encounters and a boss is found.

The card game is similar to heartstone, with upgraded/unlockable cards being broken enough to make me wonder if I can draft a storm deck.

Trinkets can be found during the game, they impact the way the game is played significantly. Yesterday I managed to create a setup which gave me +4 opening cards in hand (9 instead of 5), along with a 0 cost card which let met discard X cards to draw X. Combined with a few energy generators (rituals) and heavy burn, it turned out to be an entertaining run.

Veteran card players will probably run through the game on the 1st class in a few hours, with there only being two classes currently the game does not offer a huge amount of content, but I found it decent for the price its at and hope it continues to add content as time passes.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

xzi

Mouthbreather
I bought it last night and then went on to play for 10 hours straight. I'm a big fan of roguelikes that have some sort of progression carried over even when you die, this game does it really fantastically imo allowing you to get stronger cards or trinkets (which are still random anyways) etc.

One of my runs I was going all poison and manage to get 130 poison on a huge boss and just lold my way through. Haven't been able to get that same build again quite yet though. I'm really looking forward to more content tbh

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
6 hour run here, finished the game on 1st class and failed pretty hard on the other

also hoping they add more content, game seems worth the price in its current state though

its being patched / updated weekly on the upside

norp

Bronze Squire
New class will be cool. If they can add a couple new bosses/elites/enemies, and maybe 10ish new ? events, I'd be pretty happy. Game is worth picking up if you like rogue-likes/deck-building games/etc.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Yeah, I'm having a lot of trouble on the 2nd class but I like the builds more than the first at the moment. I recently started replaying hearthstone exclusively for the PvE stuff and this game quickly filled that void

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I'm having a lot of trouble on the 2nd class but I like the builds more than the first at the moment. I recently started replaying hearthstone exclusively for the PvE stuff and this game quickly filled that void

My thoughts exactly. First class was ezpz and I really like the poison builds for the second class.

The unlocks seem pretty meh for the most part aside from a couple.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I've put probably 34 hours into the game. Pretty interesting but has some pretty big problems. After about 10 hours or so you figure out the meta cards / builds and realize that unless you get those cards you're not going all the way, so until they re-balance a bit it's essentially not even RNG at the point where if you get past the first boss and don't have a meta set up you might as well quit the run cause it's going to be a frustrating as fuck slog from there on and you're going to get curb stomped pretty quick.

Also, how is this shit not a mobile game?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

Need to get poison build cards early and build into big time block. Shivs is pretty much the only other 'make it to the end build' but it's more rng to put it together.

• 1Solidarity

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
The Silent is so much stronger than the Ironclad in my opinion. Like Kiroy said, focus on stacking block, card draw, and poison. One thing to keep in mind is keep your deck as lean as possible.

Side note, if you like this game check out Monster Slayers as well. It's far more fleshed out, more classes, combos, etc.

• 1Like

norp

Bronze Squire
The silent has better ways of going infinite, and I believed for a long time it was much better than irconclad, but I think the two classes are actually both pretty close. Offering may be the best card in the game, I feel any decent run with 1-2 of them is really hard to lose.

xzi

Mouthbreather
wtf I just found a vampire npc that replaced all my strikes with a card that gave me +7 dmg and heal 2hp for losing that blood relic that heals for 2 at the start of every combat

who needs to rest anyways?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
wtf I just found a vampire npc that replaced all my strikes with a card that gave me +7 dmg and heal 2hp for losing that blood relic that heals for 2 at the start of every combat

If you are resting your run is going poorly.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .

Strikes & Blocks are some of the worst cards in the deck and should be removed as soon as you get the opportunity.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The badish art turned me off a good amount looking at the store page. I saw a friend playing this, and today was a rainy day with no work..
I decided to bite.

I'll be damned if I can not stop playing..

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Looks cool, will pick it up during a sale or wait until it's full release

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
The badish art turned me off a good amount looking at the store page.

i think the art is great in a terrible way

the references entertain me also, when i first saw the blue whale it made me grin

Raign

Golden Squire
Been playing this pretty much non-stop -- so addictive. I agree the two classes are pretty balanced, though I personally prefer how the silent plays - it really doesn't get any better than some of the combos that come out of Apothesis and Bullet Time.