Slay the spire

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Been playing this pretty much non-stop -- so addictive. I agree the two classes are pretty balanced, though I personally prefer how the silent plays - it really doesn't get any better than some of the combos that come out of Apothesis and Bullet Time.

I've got all unlocks now and have been playing both chars regularly and feel like I have a grasp on how to build both decks. I'm defeating final boss probably double the amount on ironclad than silent.. I think you need way better card / relic RNG to go to the end with the silent.

this pretty much sums it up for me:

R1NHTRn.png

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
This turned out to be quite addictive.

Beat it once now with silent, but agree on the relic RNG. Without some of the more powerful relics that directly impacts certain builds, the cards in the end doesn't really seem to matter vs the last areas elites/boss.

Beat it with a poison build that just stacked like crazy with high block. My actual damage abilities weren't that good, but every card used caused damage, all damage caused poison and stacked 6 poison every turn opening on all enemies + nearly all attack abilities had poison. Also traded starting power for a boss relic that swapped the remaining poison ticks over to other enemies if one died.

With around 8 hours played, it seems that Ironclad is easier to get far with even if you get bad rng with ? and relics. However, it still gets wrecked at the end if you don't have relic + card combos. Silent is harder to get far with bad RNG, but seems easier to obtain deck combos with it.

Caliane

Relic RNG is def huge. But that is also part of the good design. it makes pathing choices very important. Can you take that elite for a relic? Like Rest vs card upgrade? super meaningful.

Trading starter relic for both, is a bad idea. Boss relics tend to be hit or miss. they can actively hurt you, without the proper setup. That you can pick one of 3, from a boss lets you choose one viable for you. but, trading your starter for a random one, is more likely to hurt you.
Even when it seems like The silents starter is bad.

Ive had two solid silent builds. one was infinate blades x2 upgraded. for 2 shivs every turn. With envenom, to stack poison on hit. I forget what the block was from. also, a reflect on block.
other was, the aoe poison on turnx2. with footwork. just block, block, block, and allow passive poison stacking, do its job.

only one ironclad win. it didnt feel as stable. hp regn relic, demon form, metalize at start. Ironclad relic was huge. damage was from doubletap, and precision strike. Actually skipped BITE, because of two precision strikes. Got the life steal attack towards the end.
Still needed to rest every rest, while silent spends most campfires forging.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Relic RNG is def huge. But that is also part of the good design. it makes pathing choices very important. Can you take that elite for a relic? Like Rest vs card upgrade? super meaningful.

Trading starter relic for both, is a bad idea. Boss relics tend to be hit or miss. they can actively hurt you, without the proper setup. That you can pick one of 3, from a boss lets you choose one viable for you. but, trading your starter for a random one, is more likely to hurt you.
Even when it seems like The silents starter is bad.

Ive had two solid silent builds. one was infinate blades x2 upgraded. for 2 shivs every turn. With envenom, to stack poison on hit. I forget what the block was from. also, a reflect on block.
other was, the aoe poison on turnx2. with footwork. just block, block, block, and allow passive poison stacking, do its job.

only one ironclad win. it didnt feel as stable. hp regn relic, demon form, metalize at start. Ironclad relic was huge. damage was from doubletap, and precision strike. Actually skipped BITE, because of two precision strikes. Got the life steal attack towards the end.
Still needed to rest every rest, while silent spends most campfires forging.

Ya it's a snowball effect if you get the card RNG where you are able to start farming elites for relics on your way then you gonna end up with an OP build no matter what.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
as much as a shit on the silent I just hit my highest score of 649 with him with a fricken 40 card deck.

Fippy Darkpaw

Molten Core Raider
After seeing this thread I decided to give this a try. Didn't notice that I somehow spent almost 5 hours playing. Had victories on my 3rd and 5th runs. The first was with stacking defense via Barricade and Shrug It Off, the second is when I got the relic that lets you keep cards from one turn to the next (that run ended up being really easy).
Is the Heart the end point for now, or does it fall after taking enough damage?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
After seeing this thread I decided to give this a try. Didn't notice that I somehow spent almost 5 hours playing. Had victories on my 3rd and 5th runs. The first was with stacking defense via Barricade and Shrug It Off, the second is when I got the relic that lets you keep cards from one turn to the next (that run ended up being really easy).
Is the Heart the end point for now, or does it fall after taking enough damage?

That's the end for now. I'm about done play as it's starting to get stale but I put some serious hours into this for a 20 game. Really worth it and look forward to new stuff.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Game is great. Best first dude first try but getting dumpster on second guy. You hit that one bad guy that hits you like a truck and you're done

xzi

Mouthbreather
I'm having the opposite problem, I'm wrecking shit on poison bro but getting trucked on the first guy. I also kept getting extremely unlucky with relics so that doesn't help

Fippy Darkpaw

Molten Core Raider
Had a tremendous run going last night on the fighter character. Got to floor 3 and had a whole row of various relics, 140+ HP and a bunch of nice synergy with my deck list. Lost in the first Epic battle to the guy that summons minions. I don't want to assume, but it seemed like the game was almost scaling up to my overpowered level. I've fought that guy a dozen times now, but don't ever remember him launching attacks like 14x4 and 50+ damage per swing. Probably just shit luck, but has anyone else noticed anything similar?

Caliane

shit luck. str stacking.

I got a surprise with the silent the other day. started off meh, overloaded with blocks. by the first boss, I was getting some attacks going, and had some solid relics. the +1str for each rest. Easily one of the strongest builds yet. upgraded footworks, bash, etc.
But, then yeah. out of nowhere totally shit luck vs 2 enemies in a row. one elite, one none. same deal where they had 50damage/turn attacks. And RNG gave me NO blocks, despite my deck being mostly blocks. so yeah, with 75 hp.. just two turns of shit rng, and taking 50hp... ended the run.

Raign

Golden Squire
Lol, this game. I seem to only be able to win it using decks that shouldn't even work. My wins on Ironclad and Silent against that Time Warp mofo were with a block build that I cobbled together with no juggernaut or barricade and a shiv build that had no accuracy or venom.

Had so many amazing decks just go down in flames due to my own idiocy or lack of decent relic support.....

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I just watched NLs discard run, and even though he misplayed a ton that is one powerful deck archetype.

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
I watch a guy named Celerity on twitch who plays this game, he had 25+ win streaks on both characters and has beaten ascension 10 on both characters as well, the guy is just really good at the game. I would recommend anyone looking to get better check his vods on twitch out, dont think he posts them to youtube at all. My stats show I win about 35% of my games which isnt great but I do abandon runs pretty often if I dont like where my deck is going after the first big boss. My win rate has improved a fair bit after watching him, I probably win over 50% of my runs now but my win percentage is brought down by my being terrible when I first got the game. His win streak of 25+ though is pretty seriously impressive.

Caliane

interesting. yeah, my winrate is awful.

Edit: hes streaming right now. Skipping alot more elites then I would. I guess I have been putting too much emphasis on getting relics.
I was bonfire/upgrade>merchant>elite>?>>>>>>>>>normal enemy.

Looks like he is, bonfire>merchant>?>>>>elite>enemy.

Last edited:

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
interesting. yeah, my winrate is awful.

Edit: hes streaming right now. Skipping alot more elites then I would. I guess I have been putting too much emphasis on getting relics.
I was bonfire/upgrade>merchant>elite>?>>>>>>>>>normal enemy.

Looks like he is, bonfire>merchant>?>>>>elite>enemy.

He goes after normal enemies a lot on the first floor as he feels they are easy and you want to get as many choices as early as possible so you can take your deck in the direction you want to go. On the second floor he avoids normal enemies as much as possible as the difficulty of the normal mobs jumps a lot on the second floor compared to the first. So his priorities are based on the situation more than hard and fast rules. He´s also stated that you should fight an elite IF it won´t make you rest after. He feels the relic isn´t worth missing a potential upgrade to something already in your deck.