Smartphones

blehh_sl

shitlord
So my s2 crapped out on me and I am due for an upgrade on sprint. Should I get the optimus g, gnex the s3 or wait on the s4?

Cor_sl

shitlord
So my s2 crapped out on me and I am due for an upgrade on sprint. Should I get the optimus g, gnex the s3 or wait on the s4?
Mobile World Congress will be happening next month. Tons of new phones will be shown off. If you can wait 'til then, you should.

Barring that, might be worth checking out the Sony Xperia Z. It looks like a good phone. I have no idea if Sprint will be carrying that in the US, though.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
I'll have to consider getting the Galaxy S IV when it comes out if Apple doesn't make a large screen phone soon (they won't).

Rune_sl

shitlord
Not going to make a new thread for this, even though it's not about a smartphone.

I was looking at phones for work and this came up, has anybody heard of this company Sonim, or used their ultra-ruggedized phones? If this thing is as good as the spec sheet says I think it would be a lot more acceptable for my deaf and in denial Dad to use. Something tells me he wouldn't accept a jitterbug when his original Razr finally croaks. Reminds me of the old phones Nokia used to make.

The battery life on this thing is ridiculous, 20 hours of talk time, 3 months standby battery life. Waterproof, particle proof, 110 dB speaker, flashlight, indestructible with a three year guarantee...not shabby for 200-450$ ; even though it's massive it's still not as big as my otterboxed iphone.

On the other hand I still regret my poorly thought out toughbook laptop purchase so I'm going to mull this over a little bit. It's ugly as hell but if I have to get a dumbphone I'm pretty sure this beats the hell out of the Rugby II crap my brother had for a few years.

http://www.sonimtech.com/pdf/Core_ds.pdf

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I know several people with those ruggedized flip phones. I'm not positive it's the same brand but I think it is. They are very hard to break. My cousin did manage to break the screen on his, but it was from doing something retarded like throwing it against the wall. Despite the screen cracks though, the phone still works fine.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Does anybody know if it's possible to save the transcript from a text thread to a text file or something similar with Windows Phone 8? I can't figure out if it's even possible on my Lumia 920, despite hours of googling. This phone has amazing hardware, but the software is fucking horrible. Outside of the texting application(which is very good), this phone fucking sucks. Nothing but problems with it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My new iphone is getting terrible battery life, like 8 hours max with moderate use.. I think it's because of the signal at work but man it barely lasts a shift

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Lousy signal will result in a lot of scanning and jumping between LTE and 3G. If you can't keep decent LTE signal, just turn it off, it'll save you a lot of battery. Same with Wi-fi... if you don't have it at work, just shut it off, it helps.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The WI-FI is great here at work actually, I've been dropped 0 times from it. They were fucking with cell towers at our office today and I kept bouncing between 5 bars and 0 bars, would that do it?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yeah, that would do it. I'd turn off LTE, at least, it'll save you some battery from all the switching.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah I threw it on airplane mode and hopped on wifi. Definitely from the crazy signal spiking we are getting at work as I lost basically no battery power while off the verizon network. It goes from 5 to 0 bars every minute or so.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I'm pretty sure if you are on a Wi-Fi network, most phones will stop using LTE automatically.
Unfortunately, whether you're using the mobile network or not, most phones will continue to hop between towers while you're sitting in a poor signal area. Otherwise, there would be a (very noticeable) delay when your Wi-fi goes away and you switch to your mobile network. You may be right in that some phones drop exclusively to 3G while doing this, though.

Cor_sl

shitlord
The next generation of phones are going to be insane. I'm really interested to see what will come out of Mobile World Congress next month.

optproo600-1358503455.jpg

It looks like LG may be readying a successor to its Optimus G. Rumored specifications for a so-called Optimus G Pro have surfaced on the web, and it appears that the Android device one-ups its predecessor with a 1080p, 5-inch display. It's also said to be powered by a slightly more powerful 1.7Ghz Snapdragon S4 Pro (APQ8064), and it'll come with 2GB of RAM and 32GB of storage. The battery has reportedly seen a significant bump up to 3000mAh instead of the 2100mAh cell found in the original Optimus G. Rumors also say it will have a 13-megapixel camera, and 10.1mm-thin device is said to weigh in at 160 grams. The rumored specs come from the image above, provided to Engadget by a tipster, and they're corroborated by some information leaked to Blog of Mobile. We suspect that this NTT Docomo-bound phone is what LG will be announcing next month at Mobile World Congress, but we'll have to wait and see.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/18/38...s-leaked-rumor

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I had my iphone 4s crap out on me this week and needed to pick up something cheap that would work on AT&T and found an Atrix HD. As much as Iwantto like it, I just can't really come to enjoy it. For $180, the hardware is worth it, but I'm realizing I need to be near power adapters all the time again, and I was really enjoying going almost 2 days on a single charge.

Since it was out of nowhere that my 4s died, I wasn't really prepared to pick up another device. Makes me wish I'd kept my Nexus 4 I ordered instead of selling it locally. Hindsight!