Smartphones

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I know. I was hoping I wouldn't have to fuck around with this shit, either. That's one of the things Apple does right - the iPhone is well optimised and runs perfectly out of the box. The Nexus 4, instead, is poorly optimised and the screen is uncalibrated. It's quite annoying.

Still, it's not too difficult to install a kernel and stuff. I rooted my phone and installed a kernel a few weeks back and haven't messed around with things since. It's worth spending that hour or two of fucking around to get that stuff done.
Gotta be a nexus problem moreso android as a whole.

ColourofSpace_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I know. I was hoping I wouldn't have to fuck around with this shit, either. That's one of the things Apple does right - the iPhone is well optimised and runs perfectly out of the box. The Nexus 4, instead, is poorly optimised and the screen is uncalibrated. It's quite annoying.

Still, it's not too difficult to install a kernel and stuff. I rooted my phone and installed a kernel a few weeks back and haven't messed around with things since. It's worth spending that hour or two of fucking around to get that stuff done.
:

Just to provide some perspective to Apple not being the only OEM that puts out a product that works out of the box:http://www.androidauthority.com/whic...hone-5-122142/. Not to mention the fact you bought a Nexus which is made more for a niche community that enjoys tinkering with their kernels, etc...

Cor_sl

shitlord
Gotta be a nexus problem moreso android as a whole.
It's definitely a Google problem. They've done an awful job of making the most of the hardware. They should be optimising Android and it's kernels to run as best as it can possible run on the Nexus 4 like Apple does with the iPhone - they shouldn't say "fuck, it's good enough" and leave it half baked. The fact that the Optimus G, a phone that shares most of its hardware with the Nexus 4, gets significantly better battery life indicates that Google fucked up somewhere.

:

Just to provide some perspective to Apple not being the only OEM that puts out a product that works out of the box:http://www.androidauthority.com/whic...hone-5-122142/. Not to mention the fact you bought a Nexus which is made more for a niche community that enjoys tinkering with their kernels, etc...
It's funny how different websites have different battery results.

GSMarena say that the iPhone 5 has roughly similar battery life to the S3 (http://www.gsmarena.com/iphone_5_vs_...view-837p4.php) while Anandtech's tests see the iPhone 5 destroy the S3 (http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/t...ne-5-review/13). I wonder what causes the difference.

Anyway!

It's pretty obvious that Samsung is doing a good job with their phones. People are buying them in droves and they're super happy with them so they're obviously doing something right.

I'm really curious to see what they do with the S4 and rest of their range in the future. I'm not a fan of their design language at all, both hardware and software, but I do respect the fact they're putting out some quality products.

RE: The Nexus 4 being a tweaker phone.

I know that, but I still don't think that excuses Google for half assing things. At the very worst, this phone should have been able to match the Optimus G in terms of battery life. I find it baffling that it can't even manage that.

gsmarena_002.jpg

gsmarena_003.jpg

ColourofSpace_sl

shitlord
I really hope that the S4 gets rid of the physical home button; I just switched to a Galaxy nexus and the onscreen home button is responsive and convenient. There are a few rumors that Google (in cooperation with Motorola) should be putting out phone (X) to compete on a level with Samsung and Apple soon. /nerdgasm

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Supposedly S4 leaked presser.http://www.ijailbreak.com/android/ga...-shots-leaked/

"Unfortunately no specifications accompanied this photo, but at this point in time the most widely believed are listed below."

Exynos 5450 Quad-Core CPU clocked at 2.0GHz
Mali-T658 GPU
2GB of RAM
4.99" SuperAMOLED FULL HD resolution (1080?1920) Display
13 Megapixel Rear Facing Camera
2 Megapixel Front Facing Camera
Android 4.2.1 (Out of the box)
--------------------------------------------------------

Looks fake but would make a nice phone without the physical buttons I just really dont like buttons on the front of a phone now.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Son of a... I might have to abandon iPhone if that ends up being real.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I will be stealing my daughter's phone upgrade if the S4 is coming out anytime soon. The only thing I am not real big on is the size. I personally think the S3 or Galaxy Nexus were perfect in size, bigger than that is too much. I will still get it, and probably love it, but I would prefer slightly smaller.

Oh, and definitely agree on the physical button. Still one of my favorite parts of the Galaxy Nexus.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Looks like my S2 which makes me extremely happy. FUCK PHYSICAL BUTTONS.

My S2 contract ends at the start of September. I'll either wait til then to upgrade or cancel contract early when this comes out.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
I doubt the rumors are true. If LG really did that, they are done as an OEM. There have been too many retarded rumors like a low price iPhone. One top of that, new Nexus devices have been released approximately every 11 months.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
How good is the Nexus 4?

I wanted an S3 but didn't want to spend $600 to buy one. The Nexus 4 looks great for using that T-mobile $30 unlimited data 100 minutes plan.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I'm really enjoying mine, but I don't really have a point of reference as my previous phone was a Torch. Any halfway decent smartphone is amazing compared to that buggy, slow piece of shit.

As mentioned a bit earlier, only concern so far is battery life.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well I'm running an LG Cosmos 2... so... anything is an upgrade LOL.

I guess I will have to try to score one if they ever become available.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
How good is the Nexus 4?

I wanted an S3 but didn't want to spend $600 to buy one. The Nexus 4 looks great for using that T-mobile $30 unlimited data 100 minutes plan.
I came from the HTC One S and I really like the Nexus. The only time I notice it getting warm is when I use it as a wifi hotspot. But when I do that, I always have it either on a table or in a bag, not on me, so I don't really care.

I'm happy with the performance and battery life has not been an issue when travelling. I easily get a day's worth of use out of it. I bought a second charger (they're what, $5 with the USB cable?) for the office when I used the One S. Since I have my phone on my table anyway, I might as well plug it in.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I really hope that the S4 gets rid of the physical home button; I just switched to a Galaxy nexus and the onscreen home button is responsive and convenient. There are a few rumors that Google (in cooperation with Motorola) should be putting out phone (X) to compete on a level with Samsung and Apple soon. /nerdgasm
Not I, I love having a physical home button.

Cor_sl

shitlord
How good is the Nexus 4?

I have some gripes with the phone (I posted them a page or two back) but it's still the best phone I've ever had. I came from an iPhone 4s and I couldn't be happier with it. With a custom kernel installed, battery life hasn't been a problem, either. It's a great piece of kit at a great price.

charkosh_sl

shitlord
I have some gripes with the phone (I posted them a page or two back) but it's still the best phone I've ever had. I came from an iPhone 4s and I couldn't be happier with it. With a custom kernel installed, battery life hasn't been a problem, either. It's a great piece of kit at a great price.
Too bad LG screwed the pooch and didn't produce enough Nexus 4's. I'll totally take 300$ phone over a 200$ phone with a 2 year contract.