Smartphones

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
The only one I used wireless charging on was my pre which was a long time ago. The back would get pretty hot. Got hot like an intense video game you've been playing awhile. I stopped using it since. The tech has likely advanced but I don't have issues with my micro usb ports so haven't bothered to try it again.

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
Main issue with wireless chargers are heat. And most of the cheap ones get very warm and cause your phone to get very warm.

Heat is actually the main factor in Lithium Batteries not being able to hold a charge. So it's something to keep in mind.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I use a wireless charger on my Samsung S5 and it doesnt get very warm at all. Maybe a 2 or 3 on a scale to 10? Where an 8 is where I have little to no signal and my phone is scanning / boosting the receiver to pick up a network and draining the shit out of the battery. A 10 would be the time I left it in my car in the sun in 120F heat and it refused to charge with a warning about the battery being overtemp!

Wireless charging is pretty much exactly the same as corded charging in my experience.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Use a wireless charger on a Nexus 5 and it works just fine. The wireless charger was one that came with a Lumia 920...which did get hot. Must have something to do with the phones themselves.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I just got my wife asamsung s5 with a s-view case and wireless charger. Works great, no heat issues. Wireless charging is still slower than wired though. Her S5 and my Note 3 can charge from single digits to 100% in about 90 minutes with the newer samsung cords with the double plug but the wireless pad is about 3 hours from 0 to full.

So wireless is great for charging overnight but if you need a quick charge for a few minutes before you leave the house the cord is your best option still.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
My only follow up would be is there any downside to leaving something charging overnight? I know that used to be a problem and would degrade battery lifetime, no idea if they've improved the circuity/chemistry since then.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I just got a Nexcon and I like it a lot so far. It does get warm if I'm using the phone while charging (e.g. listening to a podcast or watching my baby monitor) but otherwise the heat is a non-issue. It doesn't get any warmer than if I were to spend a lot of time watching a video or playing a game. It is super-nice to be able to grab and check your phone w/o having to worry about cords at all plus the obvious benefit of not wearing out your charging port.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Phones are much better at preventing overcharging, a good chunk of that is built right in to the battery. The battery is normally not allowed to be fully charged, nor fully drained, to maximize it's lifespan.

I've also seen wireless chargers that detect when the phone is fully charged and stop trying to charge it at that point.

Fadaar

That guy
With how fast my Note 4 charges I don't need to leave it plugged in overnight like I used to have to do with my Galaxy S3. Can charge it from near dead to full in an hour and a half or less. 30 minutes of charging before work is enough for it to last another 24 hrs.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Phones are much better at preventing overcharging, a good chunk of that is built right in to the battery. The battery is normally not allowed to be fully charged, nor fully drained, to maximize it's lifespan.

I've also seen wireless chargers that detect when the phone is fully charged and stop trying to charge it at that point.
This.

Today's tech stops charging once full. Both wired and my wireless will automatically stop. This isn't 90s / 00s era direct connect plugs to a battery terminal anymore.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
With how fast my Note 4 charges I don't need to leave it plugged in overnight like I used to have to do with my Galaxy S3. Can charge it from near dead to full in an hour and a half or less.
The big thing about Samsung's newer devices is that they allow a 2 amp charge. Apple devices are still limited to a 1 amp charge. It's literally double or half the speed, respectively. This is something you should really watch out for when you are buying 3rd party chargers, as in car chargers, etc. Most USB plug generic chargers will limit itself to 1 amp to be safe for Apple devices. Basically, you are then charging your Samsung at half its charging speed.

I have this one in my car, so I can charge both as needed:

Amazon.com: Anker? 24W 2-Port Rapid USB Car Charger with PowerIQ Technology for iPhone, iPad Air 2, Samsung Galaxy, Nexus, HTC, Motorola, Nokia and More (Black): Cell Phones Accessories

(This is actually a newer device that will auto-detect. My older version has a 1A port labeled "Apple" and a 2A port labeled "Android".)

Fadaar

That guy
The big thing about Samsung's newer devices is that they allow a 2 amp charge. Apple devices are still limited to a 1 amp charge. It's literally double or half the speed, respectively. This is something you should really watch out for when you are buying 3rd party chargers, as in car chargers, etc. Most USB plug generic chargers will limit itself to 1 amp to be safe for Apple devices. Basically, you are then charging your Samsung at half its charging speed.

I have this one in my car, so I can charge both as needed:

Amazon.com: Anker? 24W 2-Port Rapid USB Car Charger with PowerIQ Technology for iPhone, iPad Air 2, Samsung Galaxy, Nexus, HTC, Motorola, Nokia and More (Black): Cell Phones Accessories

(This is actually a newer device that will auto-detect. My older version has a 1A port labeled "Apple" and a 2A port labeled "Android".)
That's pretty awesome next time I order something on Amazon I'm going to throw one of those in the order. What about the cords themselves? Do they matter at all?

Edit: According to that pageAmazon.com: Anker® 24W Dual-Port USB Car Charger with PowerIQ? Accessoriesis the newer version of it too? Costs a lot more though would probably go with the one you linked. Plus Prime eligible ftw.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Cable doesnt make a difference. It's just a copper wire at the end of the day.

The link I posted was the same as the one you linked. One comes with cables, one dosen't.

Here you can see directly from the Anker website what I am talking about:

Car Chargers,Power|ANKER

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Pretty bogus that my iPhone could charge through my cars USB jack but my moto x can't. Assume it doesn't supply enough power so I need to buy a 3rd party charger.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
See above post of mine.

Again, most manuafactuers default to iPhone's gimp 1A charge to play it safe. Some phones (like the Samsung) will still take the charge, albeit takes twice as long. Others will not charge at all. Always check how many amps your manufacturer's charger will put out and buy a matching rated 3rd party charger. Sucks to have to slow charge for Apple's inferior products.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
When you plug into that charger does your phone say that it's charging on AC? Last time I looked into car chargers the phone says it's charging on USB which I think makes the phone limit the current it draws so as not to draw more current than a standard PC USB connector can provide. I bought some at the time that had a couple pins shorted so the phone thinks it's on a wall charger and draws the full current. Maybe this has been resolved by now though because it was a couple years ago that I was researching this.

bho

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Cable doesnt make a difference. It's just a copper wire at the end of the day.

The link I posted was the same as the one you linked. One comes with cables, one dosen't.

Here you can see directly from the Anker website what I am talking about:

Car Chargers,Power|ANKER
cords do matter. i do not understand why as I dont know much about how they are made but ive tested it with a high current charger and a current monitor on my phone. i started getting the "premium" version of the cheap cables (like $4 instead of $1.50) and there is a verifiable, measurable difference.