Smartphones

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah budget Lumia phones have weird restrictions. There's a newer Lumia 530 or 535 coming out and it has everything and I believe it's the same price or cheaper than mine, except that it's 3g only. Why? I have no idea.
I'm pretty sure 4G/LTE antennas add quite a bit of cost to manufacture the SOC that powers the phone.

Most sub 200 dollar phones, the low end Lumias and the Moto E and G are actually made for large emerging markets like Brazil and India where they have no 4G/LTE networks, so putting those antennas on the SOC is a pointless waste.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Ended up buying a moto x. It was such a pain in the ass. My wife have me her upgrade so I transferred it to my phone but the motomaker site doesn't recognize that. So Verizon told me to buy it under her number then activate it on my line and do the opposite when she uses my upgrade.

Coming next Monday so I'm excited. Goodbye iPhone 4. Yep, regular old 4.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
If you're on the AT&T 10gb plan retentions well match the Verizon price. If you're under contract ymmv.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm hoping Nokia puts out an awesome Windows 10 phablet sometime this year.

Fadaar

That guy
Got the Note 4 and really liking it. Had a Galaxy S3 before, so it's essentially the same thing just slightly different button config, bigger screen, and better hardware. Battery life is fucking phenomenal too. Last time I charged it was before work on Friday, and here it is 4:30 AM on a Monday and it's still at 17%.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think they have tweaked their battery drainage in software updates. My S5 gets phenomenal battery usage now. Some days I can come home to 60-70% battery after moderate use, where I had previously drained it down to low battery warnings in the past. Hopefully the new Lollipop OS will further the efficiency.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
After I switched to my MotoX I left my G2 powered on in Airplane mode and 3 weeks later I looked at it and it was still at like 37% battery. Turns out if you don't use the phone at all for anything the battery lasts a really long time.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That's like my wife's kindle that she really wanted so badly and has never even turned on. It held a charge for like 3 months, it's amazing.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My S5 is currently at 67% battery. If I enable Ultra Power Saving mode right now, it says it estimates 8 days of standby time. *flex*

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You'll get no more of those annoying facebook updates from your family too, win/win! Seriously, that's how they extend battery, by lengthening sleep mode and the best way to do that is to prevent it from waking up from push notifications. A phone without push notification feels kinda pointless, unless you're asleep.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have to turn off facebook push notifications because all my mother does all day apparently is post pictures of dogs that she doesn't own

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's "turned off" on my phone. I want to "turn it off" for good but then I wouldn't be able to post hilarious videos of sloths believing they could fly or videos of flying lawn mowers

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
In fact, completely remove the Facebook app from your phone. You can always access it just fine through your phone's browser. The facebook and facebook messenger apps are horrid, massive battery hogs and a laundry list of privacy concerns

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
In fact, completely remove the Facebook app from your phone. You can always access it just fine through your phone's browser. The facebook and facebook messenger apps are horrid, massive battery hogs and a laundry list of privacy concerns
That's the plan now. Did you see where I said I'm using an iphone4 though? I can barely browse the web at all.....
frown.png
Two days until the new phone

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have to turn off facebook push notifications because all my mother does all day apparently is post pictures of dogs that she doesn't own
Does she tag you in them? I don't get notifications every time someone posts a picture unless I'm in it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Does she tag you in them? I don't get notifications every time someone posts a picture unless I'm in it.
I think I added her as one of my special friends (or something) and it just pops up everything from her. I'm too lazy to login and shut it off so I just disabled it on my phone

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Ok so I upgraded to my MotoX over an iPhone 4 just yesterday.

It feels like I was running a Pentium2 before and just upgrade to a 5th generation i7. I can't even believe I survived so long on such an old phone. Only one day in but really loving it.

The worst part is what they don't tell you. When you go from iPhone to Android, you need to disable iMessage - that part they tell you. What they don't tell you is you need to login to some apple site and de-register your phone number from iMessage. Then it takes so many hours to propagate through to your contacts and some of them still might try sending it as imessage.

I noticed on a few phones the imessages were failing and finally started going through as SMS. On another phone, it just kept sending them as imessages and not failing - however the Android phone won't ever receive them.

Obviously I can't go through my address book and guess who had iphones, so I just sit here hoping it sorts itself out. Anyone dealt with this?