Smartphones

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
It's just an MVNO on Sprint and T-Mobile. Kind of half assed if they are really trying to compete with ATT and Verizon.
I wonder if the Google/Elon Musk partnership to launch wifi-satellites would be stage 2 of this plan. A truly global gigabit wifi would be amazing, and basically eliminate the need for cell towers anywhere, all phones could just do wifi calling.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I view it as testing the waters and if it takes off, the first step to buying sprint or tmobile but I could be way off base there. I'm sure they are not going to do the bull shit of throttling and bandwidth caps, which will provide more pressure for all carriers to stop with that shit.
I would love to seem them buy Sprint or TMO, although TMO is already sort of doing the "no bullshit carrier" thing. Either way I'm sure they won't be in my area for a decade.

I wonder if the Google/Elon Musk partnership to launch wifi-satellites would be stage 2 of this plan. A truly global gigabit wifi would be amazing, and basically eliminate the need for cell towers anywhere, all phones could just do wifi calling.
I didn't realize Google was involved with that. It would definitely be amazing. Have they mentioned the latency issue though?

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Nevermind I googled it:

But Musk seems to be counting on his orbital network doing something those atmosphere-hugging projects can't: create a better, faster internet. I'm not talking about speed here, but latency - the delay data undergoes when traversing the globe. When connecting in San Jose to a server in Sydney, your request is hitting multiple routers before it even arrives at the undersea cable to begin its long journey across the Pacific, and all of those steps introduce latency.

Musk claims he can build a purer, simpler internet in the heavens. Though any traffic would have to got through the Earth's atmosphere twice, once that data stream is 750 miles up, it would make only a few satellite hops across a near vacuum, through which electromagnetic waves travel much faster than through a fiber optic cable. So what Musk is promising to do is not only build an internet to connect the furthest corners of the planet, but a create a network that would draw those far corners much closer together.

There's enough of a difference between Loon and Musk's plan, that Google may view them as complimentary technologies, and according to the Information's report, Google is considering investing in the SpaceX project.
Update (1/20/2015): Multiple sources are claiming that Google is preparing a billion dollar investment into SpaceX that would give the company's nascent internet plan an enormous capital boost. It's not clear what kind of ownership or stake Google would take in SpaceX as a result, but this move would likely replace the search giant's own research into providing online connectivity via weather balloons. Google has previously hired satellite veterans to work on Project Loon; it's possible that the two companies would actively collaborate to design the future system.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, I'm good with robots enslaving mankind as long as they destroy Time Warner & Comcast first. It'll be worth it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Just got a text notice that we hit the 75% threshold (10GB shared data). I looked at the logs and my wife's phone is at 5GB (in half of a month). The thing is, she uses it mostly at home where we are on Wifi and some netflix at work for her break. During her break times I see occasionally 0.10-0.25 GB, but that's only like twice a week. I noticed multiple times during the week around 6-9:00AM she is using 0.50GB or more data. It's a bit unexplainable as she is on WiFi at home, driving until 8:00AM, and then at work during the rest of the time.

Is there anything to look for on her phone (iPhone4) that would lead me to see what is using this data? The most troubling part is that if the data is being used at home her phone is automatically connected to our WiFi at all times, so it makes no sense.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Netflix/Pandora that's probably it.

Oops re-read what you said. If you are on atleast iphone 7/8 go to settings -> cellular and scroll down. Flipboard is my second to largest data usage right after Podcasts.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Ok I'll check it out when I get home and see what's using it.

I will be ultimately perplexed if I see it keeps happening before we wake up. It's like an app is sabotaging us.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Now have texting. Wasn't my fault or the phone. AT&T screwed up and had texting turned off at the account level for whatever reason.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
The most troubling part is that if the data is being used at home her phone is automatically connected to our WiFi at all times, so it makes no sense.
Android 5.0 will fall back to mobile data if wifi has a bad signal or no internet connection, so maybe the iphone is doing the same thing.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So glad to hear Google will be a Sprint MVNO don't really want to replace my phone, but if it's like other Google ventures it should be nice to switch over to and with them being Sprint tied should hopefully be able to port a Sprint phone.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just got a text notice that we hit the 75% threshold (10GB shared data). I looked at the logs and my wife's phone is at 5GB (in half of a month). The thing is, she uses it mostly at home where we are on Wifi and some netflix at work for her break. During her break times I see occasionally 0.10-0.25 GB, but that's only like twice a week. I noticed multiple times during the week around 6-9:00AM she is using 0.50GB or more data. It's a bit unexplainable as she is on WiFi at home, driving until 8:00AM, and then at work during the rest of the time.

Is there anything to look for on her phone (iPhone4) that would lead me to see what is using this data? The most troubling part is that if the data is being used at home her phone is automatically connected to our WiFi at all times, so it makes no sense.
She's skyping her new boyfriend, she hops off the wifi because she thinks you'd be able to track her usage. But yes, the only thing that will use that much bandwidth is video chat or streaming video. So maybe she's not connecting to her office's wifi while watching netflix? (or my original explanation if her entire app history doesn't add up to 5gb, then she is likely removing whatever app is using the bandwidth and then redownloading it when she needs it again)

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Android 5.0 will fall back to mobile data if wifi has a bad signal or no internet connection, so maybe the iphone is doing the same thing.
Can confirm, with shitty municipal co-op cable provider, that no, iphone will not switch off wifi automatically even if the internet connection is spotty/completely disconnected.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I read up on the iphone 4 a bit, if it's in locked mode for a certain amount of time the phone will use 3G rather than WiFi. Makes no sense really, but it's scummy. Some of her apps plus icloud seem to be the culprits. Looks like some backups are happening while we sleep. Why?

She uses Netflix off of WiFi, she's a postal worker so is in the field on lunch. We can see exactly what minute of each day how much data she's using at that time. These are much larger data sessions than her netflix sessions. If she's skyping nude next to me while I sleep then she has some balls, haha. Plus she isn't smart enough to turn off using wifi.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Oh, and the reason I actually came to this thread in the first place...

Search Results

800mhz sprint finally coming to cleveland... woot woot, I'll finally be able to get an LTE signal even when I'm inside a building.

Neph_sl

shitlord
I read up on the iphone 4 a bit, if it's in locked mode for a certain amount of time the phone will use 3G rather than WiFi. Makes no sense really, but it's scummy. Some of her apps plus icloud seem to be the culprits. Looks like some backups are happening while we sleep. Why?

She uses Netflix off of WiFi, she's a postal worker so is in the field on lunch. We can see exactly what minute of each day how much data she's using at that time. These are much larger data sessions than her netflix sessions. If she's skyping nude next to me while I sleep then she has some balls, haha. Plus she isn't smart enough to turn off using wifi.
No solutions here, just to say that it sounds weird. If you're using iCloud for backup, it should only be doing that with wifi, not cellular data.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
If this is true, I think I'd have to drop sprint as a provider, why stick with sprint when you could buy a google phone that accesses both sprint AND t-mobile's networks? I mean, it sounds too good to be true, so it probably is.
Using an MVNO on Sprint doesn't make you the same as a Sprint customer, most of the time. For example, Straight Talk reroutes ALL data through a server farm in Florida. Sure, you have access to ATT LTE, but your latency is shit, effectively killing the LTE speed.

Also, it's possible not all towers will be accessible to MVNO customers. Again, with Straight Talk on ATT, I would sit next to a colleague that was on a postpaid plan and she would get better reception(and HSPA+) while I was getting fewer bars and only HSPA. The bars might have been the culprit, but I was able to check that we were on different towers. Once I switched to gophone(which ATT treats like postpaid), I got better reception and LTE at work.

Sprint might do it differently, but I kinda doubt it. So, a shittier version of two already shitty networks? Meh. I'm glad google is taking steps forward, but this isn't going to do much.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I guess the part that I was missing about Elon Musk's space internet was that the satellites will be in low earth orbit so they are only 750 miles above the ground instead of 22,000 like the current internet satellites. It really would be like a whole duplicate internet pretty much and latency would not only not be a problem, it might actually be better than ground based internet because of more efficient routing and the fact that transmissions travel faster in space than they would in fiber optic cable. It sounds like you would currently need a rooftop antenna to receive it like regular satellite so I don't imagine it would work on mobile just because the transmitter isn't powerful enough but I don't know. If you could access it with a cell phone that would be even better.

shutupandtakemymoney.jpg