Smartphones

fris

Vyemm Raider
some reason i can't get my S6 to take a screen shot. power button and the home button, nothing. swipe my hand across, nothing.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Coworker has a Note 4 and loves it. It's still one of the best phones out there if you don't mind the size. Unless you're already invested in the iOS ecosystem or really want something that is iOS only, I would definitely go with the Note 4.

The OPO would also be a good choice. The invite system is gone and it's half the price of a Note 4 (unless you have an upgrade to use). Screen isn't as nice and the camera is inferior to the Note 4, but otherwise it's a fantastic phone.
Things I love about the Note 4:Awesome screen (looks, size, etc). Fantastic camera (best I've ever used). Battery life is one of the best. Rapid charging is a nice plus. The stylus, granted it is just one thing, but I found a use for that is kind of neat but whatever.

Things that are making me start looking to switch away from the Note 4:I'm on Verizon so this has a lot to do with it but you can't root it so ads. Ads everywhere. The stock UI is sluggish as fuck. Want to close all of your active apps? Be prepared to wait up to 3 seconds for that fucking screen to open. The rest of the UI in general is slow as shit, hell my HTC One (M8) beats the living piss out of the phone snappiness wise.

The only reason I haven't switched away from it so far is best the screen size is something I love (not to mention still the second best screen on the market) and the camera on it is amazing which is nice for my line of work.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Why can't you root the Note 4? Does that mean you also can't put a custom ROM on it? I hate all non-stock versions of Android. My daughter's tablet has the ASUS flavor, it's it's so goddamn ugly and slow. Fuck that shit.

I wish Samsung would give us a stock Android option ffs. What do they have to lose by giving people the lighter UI they want? Bottles my mind.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Uh, mine is rooted already. So....yeah.
confused.png

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
My contract is up and I'm just waiting for the Note 5 to launch. Check out the piles of crap plans I get to choose from:

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/share-everything

Want to be able to hand the kids a tablet and let them stream Netflix in the car? Nope!
Want to download an album while waiting at the airport? Sorry. No.
Install a game on your phone while staying at the hotel? I don't think so.

BUT HEY, WE HAVE A SOCIAL MEDIA PLAN SO YOU CAN BROWSE FACEBOOK AND USE TWITTER WITHOUT CONSUMING YOUR DATA!

Thanks for holding back my ability to fully enjoy the benefits mobile technology, you pricks.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Prices of plans went full on retarded since they did the switch from 3 to 2 years plans a couple years ago. I was due for renewal last March and when I saw I would have to pay $90 for basically the same thing I used to have for $45 I just went prepaid with Koodo. Data wise it's clearly not much better but at least the monthly bill doesn't make me want to kill someone.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
My contract is up and I'm just waiting for the Note 5 to launch. Check out the piles of crap plans I get to choose from:

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/share-everything

Want to be able to hand the kids a tablet and let them stream Netflix in the car? Nope!
Want to download an album while waiting at the airport? Sorry. No.
Install a game on your phone while staying at the hotel? I don't think so.

BUT HEY, WE HAVE A SOCIAL MEDIA PLAN SO YOU CAN BROWSE FACEBOOK AND USE TWITTER WITHOUT CONSUMING YOUR DATA!

Thanks for holding back my ability to fully enjoy the benefits mobile technology, you pricks.
Wow, I didn't think any country was worse than the US for mobile and internet service price/feature wise. Thanks Canada!

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
All I ask is for an unlocked samsung phone running stock android on a reasonably priced unlimited data plan. Is that too much to ask?

This is what happens when your only wireless options are companies that are also your only ISP options. They don't want to complete with their other lines of business.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I looked at the S6 and S6 Edge. S6 Edge looks 'cool' but I don't possibly see how that phone would survive any drops. S6 looks decent and a possible upgrade, I just don't know if I want to upgrade yet or keep waiting. I guess the writing on the wall for my Razr Maxx showed up when I tried to launch Hearthstone on it and it basically said 'go fuck yourself'. I just hate to spend 800 on a phone when I really don't do anything it can't do well already and it isn't broken yet.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I looked at the S6 and S6 Edge. S6 Edge looks 'cool' but I don't possibly see how that phone would survive any drops. S6 looks decent and a possible upgrade, I just don't know if I want to upgrade yet or keep waiting. I guess the writing on the wall for my Razr Maxx showed up when I tried to launch Hearthstone on it and it basically said 'go fuck yourself'. I just hate to spend 800 on a phone when I really don't do anything it can't do well already and it isn't broken yet.
I caved and bought an S6 Edge to replace my S5. I too am skeptical of the use of the curved "edge" screen, but I am going on a leap of faith that developers will come up with some cool app features for it. REALLY digging the lollipop OS over kitkat. Quite a few differences and feels overall more modern and slick. The new thumb print unlock feature is pretty damn cool. It also has a smart pair feature with Bluetooth where you can set "trusted" bluetooth connections where you only have to swipe the screen to unlock when paired with a trusted device (like my car currently). Supercharge feature is cool as hell. Definitely a first to market feature that is greatly appreciated. Got lots more poking around with this new phone to figure it out. So far, no regrets.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So my Note 3 is dying. The GPS on it is never working at this point.

I'm torn between the iPhone 6 Plus and the Note 4....if I could wait for the Note 5 I would but I can't. I know the Note 4 beats out the 6 Plus in pretty much all technical points but I figured I would come here and ask opinions on the two.
The only thing I dislike about the 4 isthat it comes with swife key and not swype.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I caved and bought an S6 Edge to replace my S5. I too am skeptical of the use of the curved "edge" screen, but I am going on a leap of faith that developers will come up with some cool app features for it. REALLY digging the lollipop OS over kitkat. Quite a few differences and feels overall more modern and slick. The new thumb print unlock feature is pretty damn cool. It also has a smart pair feature with Bluetooth where you can set "trusted" bluetooth connections where you only have to swipe the screen to unlock when paired with a trusted device (like my car currently). Supercharge feature is cool as hell. Definitely a first to market feature that is greatly appreciated. Got lots more poking around with this new phone to figure it out. So far, no regrets.
Just for S&Gs:

Ugh... I don't think a case is going to fix that unless it negates the purpose of the edges.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'm used to the default android keyboard swipe capabilities. I'm set in my ways

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just for S&Gs:

Ugh... I don't think a case is going to fix that unless it negates the purpose of the edges.
Dude is dropping it at frigging chest height+ straight onto concrete. Who the fuck drops a phone from that height? I have owned smart phones for pretty much as long as they have been on the market and I have NEVER bought a case to date and yet to have a casualty. (Only exception being my Galaxy S4 that went drunk swimming with me in the ocean when I forgot it was in my pocket). I just don't worry about these extreme test vids. If I am a fucking moron and drop my phone from 5+ feet in the air onto concrete, it is my own retarded fault. That's why companies sell these rubber case monstrosities for stupid / accident prone people.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Dude is dropping it at frigging chest height+ straight onto concrete. Who the fuck drops a phone from that height? I have owned smart phones for pretty much as long as they have been on the market and I have NEVER bought a case to date and yet to have a casualty. (Only exception being my Galaxy S4 that went drunk swimming with me in the ocean when I forgot it was in my pocket). I just don't worry about these extreme test vids. If I am a fucking moron and drop my phone from 5+ feet in the air onto concrete, it is my own retarded fault. That's why companies sell these rubber case monstrosities for stupid / accident prone people.
I wear my phone on my belt. It's gotten knocked off by my laptop bag, been shoved off a conveyer belt at the TSA line and scattered across the floor, dropped accidentally on asphalt, etc. I wouldn't drop it from that high, but I also don't want it dinged up/scratched/cracked from normal accidents. So while I would get a heavier duty case and they are available for the S6, there doesn't seem to be anything for the edge that doesn't make its actual tapered screen useful.

EDIT: looking on Amazon I guess there's some decent cases, they just have raised lips on the top and bottom. Hmmmmmm...