Smartphones

Pizoi

Golden Squire
Why do they even have a glass back? Sounds like a terrible design decision. I like the OPO's back having some texture to help prevent a drop.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Dude is dropping it at frigging chest height+ straight onto concrete. Who the fuck drops a phone from that height? I have owned smart phones for pretty much as long as they have been on the market and I have NEVER bought a case to date and yet to have a casualty. (Only exception being my Galaxy S4 that went drunk swimming with me in the ocean when I forgot it was in my pocket). I just don't worry about these extreme test vids. If I am a fucking moron and drop my phone from 5+ feet in the air onto concrete, it is my own retarded fault. That's why companies sell these rubber case monstrosities for stupid / accident prone people.
Uh, you do realize 5 ft is the standard used for most drop tests, right? (Or more correctly multiples of 5, some push exceptionally durable phones to 10-15 to see when they'll actually break)

Extreme or not, it's the standard everyone uses. And frankly considering the places I charge mine are in the 4 ft range or so, I'm much happier seeing 5 ft tests than 2 ft.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
The irony is that we buy these gorgeous looking phones but end up hiding them behind hunks of rubber and leather in order to preserve their beauty.

Forcing our phones to wear burkas!

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Dude is dropping it at frigging chest height+ straight onto concrete. Who the fuck drops a phone from that height? I have owned smart phones for pretty much as long as they have been on the market and I have NEVER bought a case to date and yet to have a casualty. (Only exception being my Galaxy S4 that went drunk swimming with me in the ocean when I forgot it was in my pocket). I just don't worry about these extreme test vids. If I am a fucking moron and drop my phone from 5+ feet in the air onto concrete, it is my own retarded fault. That's why companies sell these rubber case monstrosities for stupid / accident prone people.
I've never once dropped my phone while holding it up to my ear... but a 5'6" drop test onto concrete isn't that unreasonable for that scenario, at the very minimum, you should get some kind of rubberized corner/edge protector since 90% of drops are going to impact on one of the edges first instead of straight on the face or back.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I almost dropped my Galaxy Nexus within the first 30 seconds of purchasing it.

That thing is slippery!

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I dropped my LG G2 from eye level (I'm 6' 2") onto a concrete floor once and it didn't break. Then I dropped the same phone from around 3 feet onto a concrete driveway and it shattered the screen to the point where it would only register touches in one corner. A lot of it depends on how it lands. Even though I have broken the screen on two phones, I still refuse to use a case. They are dumb.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Everyone who does a drop test.
The point being, I am not stupid enough to drop my phone from that height. At best, it gets bumped off a table. Still never use a case, still have never had a problem to date. Why fugly up a phone? If you wear your phone on your belt like a grade A fag, sure.. get a case and call it a day.

Crone

The point being, I am not stupid enough to drop my phone from that height. At best, it gets bumped off a table. Still never use a case, still have never had a problem to date. Why fugly up a phone? If you wear your phone on your belt like a grade A fag, sure.. get a case and call it a day.
Yes, because when you drop your phone you do it on purpose. Man, people who drop their phones are so stupid.
rolleyes.png

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Some people are clumsy. Some people work where drops and bumps are more likely. We get that this test doesn't effectyoupersonally, move the fuck on.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I concede.. Just a personal peeve of mine that people harp on about cases for phones and they end up big rubberized bricks twice as thick as the standard phone. I have no idea how people put up with it, nor how people can be that clumsy. The day I drop and break my own, I will just suck it up and buy another. To me, it doesn't justify casing up multiple phones for that one freak accident that could happen years down the line. If I had broken ANY phone over the last few years I am sure my attitude might be different. Fuck, maybe I am just lucky. Who knows?

Crone

Does the Samsung S6 Edge, actually display anything right now? I thought I had seen it displays a clock, and notifications? I'm too used to iPhone, which doesn't have a blinking LED, but my phone sits on my desk a lot, so having the Edge constantly display time and notifications I feel would be useful.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I almost always put a case on any phone I get, but not really for protection. I always go for the most comfortable to hold case.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I was not aware that people still did this. I thought it had gone the way of the fanny pack and acid-washed jorts.
I hate keeping shit in my pockets. If I 'have to' I have a ton of keys (personal and business) from several different offices, my wallet full of at least my debit, one credit and a bunch of different business use cards, always some dumb ass spare change from something, my tiny nail clippers, etc. If I add my brick of a phone to that it's just really obnoxious to be comfortable. Can't help the wallet (I know someone who keeps it in his laptop bag or on his desk, but fuck that) but I always store my keys/phone/badges/etc. 'on' my person instead of in my pockets, which usually means my laptop bag is loaded with shit.

That plus I have to have it available all the time. I have 3-4 desk phones at any given office because I'm always around, in meetings, etc. and I deal with urgent (usually not so urgent) issues all day and need to be able to be reached. Putting it in my pocket in a meeting so I can do the turn sideways, fish it out, oh shit the pocket inverted and twisted close I hate these pants, check who is calling, oh it's the fucking water people again fuck them I have to tell accounting to fire them, etc. just gets obnoxious after the 18th time in an hour.

Fuck it's like I'm trying to sell myself a smartwatch. NEVERRRRR

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So the Galaxy S6 Active... is this supposed to come to Verizon? Fuck AT&T but that looks like a good upgrade for me.

Vaclav

I almost always put a case on any phone I get, but not really for protection. I always go for the most comfortable to hold case.
I actually had to case mine for the magnetic car cradle I got to not trigger "DOTVIEW" mode every single time I placed it on the cradle myself, hah.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Disappointing that 6 months later Droid Turbo users are still waiting on Lollipop.