Smartphones

Inque

FunEmployed
The Active Phones -- nope, those are typically AT&T exclusive, which is good, cause the Active devices suck ass anyway.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Does it? I thought it was up to the provider to determine how they handle the OTA for it?
Not for Apple. When an update is released, everyone, on every provider, on every device, gets it at the same time. It's not fragmented at all by provider or device.

Vaclav

Yep. Can get your upgrades straight through iTunes, or OTA.
Ah that's the confusion for me probably, seen the Sprint site say the OTA from them would go out to iPhones over a timeframe of a couple days rather than all at once. Didn't realize there was a manual option available to everyone to force it quicker - that explains it.

I'm sure most people just OTA it though.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Ah that's the confusion for me probably, seen the Sprint site say the OTA from them would go out to iPhones over a timeframe of a couple days rather than all at once. Didn't realize there was a manual option available to everyone to force it quicker - that explains it.

I'm sure most people just OTA it though.
For the most part yea. iTunes is still one of my least favorite programs. The only time I ever use it is if a phone is bricked and I need to get a clean copy of iOS on it. My phone backs up to iCloud each night so I rarely even plug it into my computer.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
My Note 3 is starting to decline. GPS is going. Phone is lagging and Lollipop has made it worse. I'm on a grandfather unlimited (verizon) data plan and I'll need to update soon. It's going to be expensive.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My Note 3 is starting to decline. GPS is going. Phone is lagging and Lollipop has made it worse. I'm on a grandfather unlimited (verizon) data plan and I'll need to update soon. It's going to be expensive.
How much data do you use? I always tell people to just let the grandfathered plan go. Most people have access to wifi most of the time anyway and they are going to take that plan from you sooner or later once there are few enough people with it that they don't give a fuck if they get mad, which has to be approaching. Spending hundreds on phones because you don't want to lose a plan you probably don't need and that they will probably take from you eventually anyway seems a little silly to me.

Crone

There are some very easy ways to keep the unlimited plan. Basically involves ordering a phone, and then never activating the included SIM card and just using the SIM card that it's in your phone now. Slickdeals website had a 1500 post thread going for it that detailed out every single method. Finding it...

Here you go. Multiple methods, each named something different typically based on who found it. lol. Fair warning, it's a long read, but worth it to keep your unlimited.

Edit: Looks like the main dude helping people started a new thread here:

http://slickdeals.net/f/7743625-veri...n-a-basic-line

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
How much data do you use? I always tell people to just let the grandfathered plan go. Most people have access to wifi most of the time anyway and they are going to take that plan from you sooner or later once there are few enough people with it that they don't give a fuck if they get mad, which has to be approaching. Spending hundreds on phones because you don't want to lose a plan you probably don't need and that they will probably take from you eventually anyway seems a little silly to me.
It could be anywhere from never going over 2GB to hitting 6. Depends how much I'm traveling.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
On that note. Straight Talk just bumped the BYOD plan to 5GB of LTE data. Granted, you get throttled to 64KBps after that, but if you can keep under that cap it's great. Hell of a lot cheaper than those old grandfathered plans.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'm thinking of waiting for the Note 5 to come out so I can get a better price on Note 4. Am I cray?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
On that note. Straight Talk just bumped the BYOD plan to 5GB of LTE data. Granted, you get throttled to 64KBps after that, but if you can keep under that cap it's great. Hell of a lot cheaper than those old grandfathered plans.
Do you still get all of your data routed through a server farm in Florida? Pings of 250+ ms kinda kills LTE speeds.

Arative

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm getting ready to order the nexus 6 using the bestbuy method to keep my unlimited data plan. The way I figure it, if I can get a subsidized phone and keep my unlimited data, I will. Screw verizon. Why pay more for less?

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I'm getting ready to order the nexus 6 using the bestbuy method to keep my unlimited data plan. The way I figure it, if I can get a subsidized phone and keep my unlimited data, I will. Screw verizon. Why pay more for less?
If you're still on a subsidy plan its foolish to let the upgrades go unused. You're paying for them.

Vaclav

It's not internet in a hotel room I'm worried about. I do a lot of driving and being out in the field.
Driving isn't surprising, I'd thought your line of work was tech related where work sites should have wifi, but I guess I heard wrong.