Smartphones

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Have you always been in KC? I thought you were in Minnesota at one point. My coworker is borrowing/using the Verizon Note 4 phone just fine on T-Mobile right now. All I had to do was setup the APN settings.

So far so good with Project Fi. My number ported over just fine and everything is working. The only thing I'm even slightly annoyed by is that Textra doesn't work on Project Fi yet but I think the dev is working on it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I like Textra but I was annoyed they went to a paid model to remove ads. Also it cost me $1 to get the pro but my wife $2 just a couple weeks later.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
anyone have any complaints about their Note3? my S3 is up for an upgrade and i don't give a shit about the latest and greatest so i don't mind a Note3 Refurb for 100 vs. a new Note4, unless someone really wants to convince to get the Note4 over the Note3, other than it's the newest one.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Finally, Lollipop on the Turbo after 8 months of 'soon!'

This experience will factor heavily into my next phone purchase.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I like Textra but I was annoyed they went to a paid model to remove ads.
I used to think that too but someone made an analogy that you/some people pay anywhere from $1-$5 for a cup of freaking coffee nearly every day - how are you even remotely complaining about having to spend just $1 for an app that is fantastic and you use literally all the freakin' time?

That clicked with me and I stopped bitching about having to pay $0.50-$1 for someone who produced something that 1) I think is great and 2) I use every day.

Now apps that cost $5-$15 on the other hand... just wtf?

Also it cost me $1 to get the pro but my wife $2 just a couple weeks later.
I think they had a promo period for existing and new users for a couple weeks.

In-app ads don't matter one bit with something like AdAway.
And this is why I am ok with losing my IR Remote, Stylus and slightly better screen/camera from the Note 4 to Nexus 6. Root + AdAway >>>> lots of things.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah I have no problem paying for apps I'll get a lot out of, like Tapatalk before it went free, Touchdown for Android (think this was like $20?) in the early days before exchange support and the card game Ascension with all it's little expansions.

earthfell

Golden Knight of the Realm
Bf and I just got our google fi invites. Ugh have to spend $1k on the phones, but the $30 monthly bill for each phone excites me. We both are still using the original Samsung Galaxy Nexus from like... 2011. This is jeopardizing my Surface 3 purchase, and I really don't need or want a new phone since all I use it for is podcasts.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
anyone have any complaints about their Note3? my S3 is up for an upgrade and i don't give a shit about the latest and greatest so i don't mind a Note3 Refurb for 100 vs. a new Note4, unless someone really wants to convince to get the Note4 over the Note3, other than it's the newest one.
I have owned several refurbs and every one of them had problems within a couple months. Fuck that. I swear that half of the refurbs are ones that people sent in because they had some intermittent problem and somebody turned them on, said "looks good to me" and sent them back out. I wouldn't start into a 2 year contract with a phone that's a year old and refurbished.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea for sure don't start with a refurb... sometimes your only option though if you disintegrate yours mid-contract I guess.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I was just a little chuffed because textra was awesome then one day was lolads

I just do Google opinion rewards surveys and use that money on apps, just think it's sneaky when an app goes from free to paid like that.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I was just a little chuffed because textra was awesome then one day was lolads

I just do Google opinion rewards surveys and use that money on apps, just think it's sneaky when an app goes from free to paid like that.
Eh, I dunno man. They gave people a pretty long heads up that they were switching to paid. It's not like it just *POOF* went to ads all over the place. From what I remember it was a 2-4 weeks heads up.

Moot point I guess, it is what it is.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I might have to switch to Verizon since I moved. I have been with ATT since 1998 (back when it was Cingular) so that hurts deep!

How are they overall? Not bad. The shit part is all 4 of my devices are 100% paid for and now I have to buy 4 new ones for my family since they are CDMA and no SIM.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
verizon since 98 w/ a startac. Most recent issue was in Hawaii, Maui, actually went from LTE to 3G at my BnB (their wireless was even shittier than 3G), and dropped a call, oddly when i was calling verizonfios to reset my router at home so i can teamviewer through computer. Still not complaining, like the only issue i've had w/ quality in almost 20years, you pay more tho, and i have no god damn idea how their new plans work, so fuck it i'm just sticking w/ the familyplan for now.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
buy a new phone
This turns out to be rather solid advice. Today I learned that I can't make apps for the phone unless I upgrade to Windows 8, so in case anyone wondered why there are almost no good apps (just a fuckload of silly games) for a Windows phone, it's because Microsoft decided to not let 2/3s of their user base make apps for it.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Verizon has probably the best cell/net service of any carrier over here in NYC-Phili area. They fuck you though on bills and shit, but it's awesome.

Still waiting for Project Fi though. I use about 5-10gigs of bandwith a month. I'm fully unlimited on VZ, but with that Fi, I'll still be saving cash.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Bf and I just got our google fi invites. Ugh have to spend $1k on the phones, but the $30 monthly bill for each phone excites me. We both are still using the original Samsung Galaxy Nexus from like... 2011. This is jeopardizing my Surface 3 purchase, and I really don't need or want a new phone since all I use it for is podcasts.
you could just give 1 of the invites to me and it's like half the cost. boom