Smartphones

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The battery has gone to shit on my Moto X and I don't know why. It was dead by 2PM yesterday although I did have the screen on a lot in the morning using the calculator app. It's getting 8 hours or less now, sometimes more like 5 or 6 when it was getting 12 easily when I got it. Nothing looks that outrageous on the battery drain chart so I don't know what the deal is but it sucks.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Samsung doing a 30 day trial of their new phones if you have an iPhone. Currently the note and 6 edge + are showing up as not available, but hopefully they get them up and going.

Samsung Promotions

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The battery has gone to shit on my Moto X and I don't know why. It was dead by 2PM yesterday although I did have the screen on a lot in the morning using the calculator app. It's getting 8 hours or less now, sometimes more like 5 or 6 when it was getting 12 easily when I got it. Nothing looks that outrageous on the battery drain chart so I don't know what the deal is but it sucks.
I know you live sort of in the boonies, is it switching between 3g/4g/nothing a lot?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
It's possible that the battery is just starting to wear out. It's possible to replace, but it looks like a pain in the ass.

How much screen on time are you getting per charge?

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
If its sudden degrade in battery it is likely something with a rogue process or coverage issue. Batteries tend to slowly degrade and just don't go to shit over night under normal use.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I have looked at the battery app and nothing really stood out. I will try to get a screenshot next time it's near death and post it here to see if you guys see anything out of whack.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Note 5 is exponentially improved by the simple addition of a phone case. I usually hate them, but holy shit it's so much more usable when I'm not worried about my palms sweating and dropping it.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Activated Google Fi last night. Not sure if I will stick around with it though to be honest.

So far I am unable to send any SMS messages with a picture attached. It says the message is too large and it won't go through. I posted about it and they told me to give it 24 hours or so for the service to fully kick on. We'll see if that actually works.

Second, I tried to send a text message to a radio station using a short code. That service is also blocked, not sure why but that seems to be a common problem reported as well.

The seamless handoff between networks seems to be pretty dubious as well. I commute a long ways for work and listen to a talk show in the morning. However, since the reception is so spotty in many areas, I stream it through an app on my phone. Well, every time the phone switched networks the feed would drop and I would need to restart the app. Same thing happened when I got to work and hopped on wifi. So the network handoff for calls may work, but it definitely doesn't work with all streaming content.

Will give it some more time before I decide if I want to keep it.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Hmm... are you using the built in messenger app or something like Chomp/Textra/etc? If you are, that may be the culprit.

I had goofy service for the first couple days then it settled in as normal. For instance, I just completely wiped my Nexus to upgrade to the latest build and root it (something I've done a couple times now cause I'm anal about that stuff) and my service will take a while to get back to normal.

Also, email/call their support through the app. Project Fi's service is A++++++++ seriously, they took awesome care of me when I had some questions/problems when I derped out signing up. And getting a call from them is a breeze - basically you fill out a short little form thingy and then they call you when their rep is available - they called me in about 5 seconds each time. MUCH better than sitting on the phone.

Edit: Ameraves shoot me a PM. I have some other ideas of what might be going on.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I use Textra for all my SMS. I figured that could be part of the problem, but I really would hate to go back to the stock messenger.

Like I said, it has only been one day so I do want to give it some time. Will shoot you a PM.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Android 5.1 seems to have fixed my Moto X battery problems. Back to getting a solid 12 hours even with being in and out of coverage all day.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah I use Textra for all my SMS. I figured that could be part of the problem, but I really would hate to go back to the stock messenger.

Like I said, it has only been one day so I do want to give it some time. Will shoot you a PM.
Make sure you check the Textra settings, they have weird shit in their settings.

jeydax

Death and Taxes

PM'd you back.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Android 5.1 seems to have fixed my Moto X battery problems. Back to getting a solid 12 hours even with being in and out of coverage all day.
Tmobile killed the Note 4s with 5.0 update and have done jack shit to fix it. Part of the problem is they killed wifi calling.

Tmobile pro tip you dickless fucks, this kind of retardation is how you lose customers of 15+ years.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Make sure you check the Textra settings, they have weird shit in their settings.
When I first signed up with Project Fi, Textra flat out was not compatible with it. I've not tested it since because, well, I don't see much difference between stock and Textra. So I don't really see the point. So I don't know if they've fixed it yet or not but if texting gives you any fits with Project Fi, first thing you should do is get rid of any third party texting apps then reboot.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Is there any other app besides hangouts that integrates with google voice for MMS / SMS besides hangouts? I like hangouts but it drives me nuts at times.