Smartphones

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
Also thinking about the HTC One. I'm eligible for an upgrade on Sprint, and when I called our corporate Sprint rep today and asked about the Galaxy S4, he said that Sprint probably wouldn't have it until "late summer". Fuck.
Sprint took a long time in getting the S3. I think they didn't want to take sales away from the EVO, which the One is replacing this time.

Devlin

Golden Squire
I saw the HTC one in a few shops today and was pretty disappointed in the build quality in the flesh especially as a lot of reviews were saying it was the best built phone ever.

That apart though the screen was pretty great and I always liked the Sense ui.

Had someone had it in stock unlocked I would have bought it then and there.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
I saw the HTC one in a few shops today and was pretty disappointed in the build quality in the flesh especially as a lot of reviews were saying it was the best built phone ever.

That apart though the screen was pretty great and I always liked the Sense ui.

Had someone had it in stock unlocked I would have bought it then and there.
What's wrong with the build quality specifically? It looks great in every picture I've seen. I assume you're in Europe?

ColourofSpace_sl

shitlord
I was able to mess around with the galaxy s4 for a bit today. It surprised me how much it looked like the s3 -- even after knowing they would look similar. I didn't have the chance to use the camera, but I messed around with the smart scroll feature and the swipe feature with the hand to scroll through pages. The eye scroll for the few seconds that I used it worked well enough. I can't imagine it being a feature that I wouldn't turn off but at least it is there for the novelty of it. The hand swipe was dumb; it worked well, but it was still dumb. The screen is beautiful as expected. The plastic didn't look as cheap, but it still felt as cheap in the hand. The people that don't like the look of the s3 will not like the look or feel of the s4, I expect.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
since i washed my motorola Atrix a few days ago i went ahead and bought a HTC one today. After playing with a S4 i just didn't like the build quality and i hope the One is at least feels nicer to use.

i have no experience with the Sense UI anyone have any opinions on it?

Devlin

Golden Squire
What's wrong with the build quality specifically? It looks great in every picture I've seen. I assume you're in Europe?
That's just it, it looked awesome in pictures but in life not so much, the aluminum has a matte finish that looks easily scratched and was not very aesthetically pleasing imo.

The screen was nice.

I may now wait to see what the GS4 looks like irl.

I'll also try to see one of the black HTC one units.

Devlin

Golden Squire
I went and had another look today, still not 100% sure on the design of the HTC One, the brushed aluminium is the same as the original iPads and mine is scratched to fuck so a case would be a must.

GS4 has gorilla glass 3 over the One's GG2, after getting so many scratches on my N4 (no idea what caused them) I'd like to try something as sturdy as possible.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Why does anyone much care if the back of their phone gets scratched anyways? Who gives a shit? It's pretty much a disposable piece of electronics you won't have for more than a couple years. Scratching the screen I can see being annoying for obvious reasons, but the back?

Hoobastain_sl

shitlord
Why does anyone much care if the back of their phone gets scratched anyways? Who gives a shit? It's pretty much a disposable piece of electronics you won't have for more than a couple years. Scratching the screen I can see being annoying for obvious reasons, but the back?
Phones nowadays are as much a status symbol as a car or watch or whatever. I personally wouldn't care about my phone being a little beat up, but I can see why some would.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Soon enough it will be the hip thing to have a beat up phone that still functions.

I'll be the king of the hipsters when that happens. My 3+ year old iPhone 4 is beat up as fuck since I never put a case on it.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
Got my pre-order in for the HTC One. I'll know how it really is in a couple of weeks, but judging from all the hands-on reviews, the build quality will be just fine.

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'll be upgrading to the S4 from an HTC Inspire. Man that phone was great when I got it but it's time for a new one, should be a nice upgrade

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I went with the Samsung galaxy s2, and I'm pretty happy so far.

Can anyone suggest some good apps? I'm using buzz for a theme but feel pretty out of the loop. Last Android I had was a first gen Motorola droid.
Go into Settings -> Applications -> All -> Scroll to TWLauncher and click "clear defaults" Hit you home button and set "Launcher" as your default. Get's you the stock ICS launcher.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i feel like i read it in here a little bit ago, but i can't find it... my wife and i just ordered a pair of nexus 4's. while i don't particularly care about maximizing the camera, that's one of the most important parts for her. i SWEAR i read on here somewhere about getting a specific camera app, as the stock app can be a bit wonky and unpredictable. am i making this up?

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
Was in Best Buy today and they had HTC One display units for both the silver and black models. It looks damn nice and is slimmer than the pictures make it out to be. I've only owned black phones, but the silver one looks better on this phone. Can't wait for mine to arrive.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Let us know how the battery life is Wolfen, once you get the HTC One. I'm real close to ordering one, but I've had HTC phones before (Evo and Evo HD) and the battery life was really bad on those, but that was also several years ago. I have to assume they're a lot better now, but that's my only hesitation in getting one currently...

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
I've heard the black version of the HTC shows finger prints pretty bad due to the type of material; It feels like a crime to put a case on the HTC one with it being so nice looking but i think im going to order one from otterbox. Im a bit paranoid about dropping it.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
I used to buy a case for every phone, but I stopped doing that with the iPhone 5. The phones look too nice to put a bland case over it.

As for fingerprints on the One, yes, the black display model showed lots of fingerprints. Didn't see any on the silver.

koljec_sl

shitlord
I'm pretty happy with my Xperia T. I don't have any experience to compare it to anything current, but it's quick, has good build quality and all the signals -- bluetooth, 3g, wifi, call -- are really good.